Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Outlook: The path for the specified .PST file is not valid. On every reboot!

(!)

Member with 786 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Jul-2009, 06:25 AM #1
Solved: Outlook: The path for the specified .PST file is not valid. On every reboot!
When I open outlook, it tells me that it can't find the .pst file. It's pointing to a path that doesn't exist. So I point it to the right place, and everything works fine.

...Until I reboot the computer. Once I've rebooted and open Outlook again, it gives me the "I can't find the file because I'm not looking in the right place" message all over again.

Somewhere there's a setting (registry?) telling Outlook where to look for the .PST file, and that setting either isn't getting changed or is being reverted on the reboot. Any Ideas?

Outlook 2003 / Win XP Pro / Domain User with a Roaming Profile

EDIT:: It seems that other non-outlook settings are being reverted as well, but creating/editing files works correctly.

Last edited by lightnb; 16-Jul-2009 at 06:41 AM..
Moderator with 13,769 posts.

16-Jul-2009, 12:34 PM #2
Hi lightnb

In Outlook 2003:
File > Data File Management
there is a list of Personal Folders (.pst files) that are linked to that profile.

Highlight the Personal Folders (.pst file) that is no longer associated with Outlook 2003 and click the Remove button (it cannot be removed if it is set as the Default Delivery Location).
*Note, this only removes the path to the .pst file, it does not remove the .pst file from the computer.

Also, highlighting that particular .pst file and clicking the Open Folder button will open the folder that contains that .pst file (if it still exists in that folder).

Let us know if that helps or not.
Member with 786 posts.

16-Jul-2009, 06:14 PM #3
Thanks for your reply. Here's what I tried:

I added a new .pst file called "null.pst". Then in Mail Settings, I set null.pst as the mail delivery location for my accounts. Back in the data file manager, I removed the old outlook.pst. And I had a clean inbox with no folders or messages.

Then I rebooted the computer. Upon opening outlook, it still promoted me that it couldn't find the same .pst file that it couldn't find before.

Other programs seem to be forgeting their settings on reboot too. So I'm thinking it might be registry related? Is there a registry key that holds the path to the .pst file for a given user?
Moderator with 64,084 posts.

16-Jul-2009, 06:24 PM #4
yes, but that's not going to change.

When you say 'other programs are forgetting their settings', I tend to immediately think malware.

What are the other apps, and what are they doing?

thanks,

v

16-Jul-2009, 06:37 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
yes, but that's not going to change.
What is not going to change? I feel like I missed part of the conversation.
Member with 786 posts.

16-Jul-2009, 06:38 PM #6
Apps that have a "remember password" feature (stamps.com, quickbooks web connector, etc.) aren't doing so on reboot. Those are the only symptoms I'm noticing.

The user's profile was recently converted to roaming and moved to the domain.

So outlook keeps looking for the old one:
C:/Docs & Settings/username/App Data/Microsoft/Outlook/Outlook.pst

When the file is actually at:
C:/Docs & Settings/username.DOMAIN/App Data/Microsoft/Outlook/Outlook.pst

I'm thinking this has something to do with residual settings from before the profile was moved?

16-Jul-2009, 06:59 PM #7
Unfortunately, if you are using Exchange Server, I won't be able to help with that.

Did you try creating a new Outlook profile and using the original .pst file? Or Importing the original .pst file into the new profile's Personal Folders?
Member with 786 posts.

16-Jul-2009, 07:09 PM #8
When I said profile, I was referring to Windows profile, not Outlook profile. We don't have an exchange server.

I will try creating a new Outlook Profile and then importing the .pst file and see if that helps.

16-Jul-2009, 07:14 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightnb View Post
When I said profile, I was referring to Windows profile, not Outlook profile. We don't have an exchange server.

I will try creating a new Outlook Profile and then importing the .pst file and see if that helps.
OK, thanks for clarifying.

Let us know what happens.
Member with 786 posts.

17-Jul-2009, 02:53 AM #10
Hey guys,

For the time being it seems to be working. I created a new outlook profile, set it is as the default and rebooted. Then I set the default outlook profile back to the old one, rebooted again, and the changes seem to be sticking...

Thanks for your help!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!