Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: MS Works Calendar error message

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: between beginner-intermed
07-Sep-2009, 11:31 AM #1
Solved: MS Works Calendar error message
Hello,
I've searched these forums and found a partial clue to help me solve this problem, but need some additional info.

When I try to use the MS Works Calendar, I get the following error message:

"Works cannot access one or more files it need to run the Calendar. The files may have been renamed, deleted or moved. Try reinstalling Works, and then starting the program again."

I have reinstalled Works, but am still getting the same error message.

When I searched these forums, I was disappointed to find a few topics about the Works Calendar, which were closed because no one had ever replied. However, I did find this one which indicates that the problem can be solved by applying a fix from MS. But it doesn't say where to find the fix, or even name it. I have searched MS up and down, but can't seem to find whatever this member found.

So, does anyone know what fix they might have been referring to?

I'm using a rather old version -- Works Suite 2002, version 6 -- but when it works, is quite sufficient for my needs. This is on XP Home SP 3, fully updated.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help
Computer Specs
Member with 4,469 posts.

Experience: Getting it
07-Sep-2009, 10:21 PM #2
Welcome to TSG!

Perhaps it was this fix:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/268218

09-Sep-2009, 12:10 AM #3
Well that is the exact same error message. But a lot of things covered in that article don't fit. The cause:
Quote:
This problem may occur if you are using the Windows NT 4.0 operating system, you are logged on as a User or Power User, and you do not have permission to modify the Works Calendar database file (Mswkscal.wcd).
I don't know if "Windows NT 4.0" might be some kind of code for Windows XP?

But I am logged on as administrator. So there should be no need to authenticate or take ownership. However, I tried Method 1 anyway, but got stuck on Step 2 -- when I click Start, there is no Adminstrative Tools. Well, I happen to know that there is such a category in the Control Panel, but under Admin. Tools, there is no Local Security Policy. So scratch Method 1.

Method 2 -- I successfully searched out mswkscal.wcd. But there is no Security tab in Properties. So scratch Method 2.

And not only all of the above, there is no such things as a "Power User" on my system. So I really am thinking that Windows XP is not synonymous with Windows NT 4. Also, I was able to use the Works Calendar up until a week ago. So unless a recent MS Update changed some permissions (and I don't know why it would), there should be no issue with calendar permissions.

I have continued to search through various MS websites, but with my version of the calendar being so old, and my search skills being what they are, I don't think I'll find anything.

Therefore, I do sincerely appreciate your help, RootbeaR. And anyone else who might have some idea what I might be able to do. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to purchase the upgrade

I would like to keep this thread open for longer than the default, before it's automatically closed. Is there any way to do that, other than post my own replies?

Thanks again RootbeaR

11-Sep-2009, 03:08 PM #4
Hey Folks,
Good news!
While continuing to research this problem, I found the MS Works Discussion group forum. I searched there for "calendar", and among the many, many results, found this topic. It's not the same error message, but among the links offered in the reply, are 2 MS KB articles, which describe the same error message I'm getting. Using this one MS KB 303858, I followed the instructions for replacting the apparently corrupt mswkscal.wcd with the same file on the Works Suite installation Disc #1.

(FYI for anyone using Works Suite 2002, Works Calendar v6, on Windows XP sp3, in order to copy and paste successfully, I had to use the Copy To icon in Windows Explorer. When I used Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V, I did not get the "do you want to replace this file" dialog. And without getting that dialog, the file apparently did not paste with Ctrl-V.)

After successfully doing so, I am now able to use the Works Calendar!

So anyway, just wanted to share my steps in solving this problem, in case someone else like me might come along with this same problem. I guess I'll use the calendar for a few days, to be sure the problem is completely solved. And after I am content, I will mark this topic Solved. Then I guess this topic will be closed, but I'm glad to know that it will still be available and searchable.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who read this topic and tried to help. I really appreciate it. All best
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!