Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Moving Outlook 2007 to Windows 7 laptop

(!)

Member with 476 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Nov-2009, 08:51 PM #1
Solved: Moving Outlook 2007 to Windows 7 laptop
I'd like to migrate Outlook 2007 over to a new Windows 7 laptop I just bought. But how do I move the entire setup just as I have it now? I'm somewhat familiar with pst. files and such but I can't have any mistakes. I have too much setup involved. I've been regularly backing up my Outlook when it asks but have no idea where that backup file is or how to reinstall just as I have it now.

Thanks!
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,594 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-Nov-2009, 02:01 PM #2
What I do, is I copy the PST files to a external device that I can use on the new machine. Then, once I have Outlook up and running, I import the old PST into the new PST file, by using the import functions listed under File in the menu.
Member with 476 posts.

29-Nov-2009, 02:23 PM #3
Thanks Dave I can always count on you. I believe I did that last time but I must have screwed something up because when I opened Outlook my original file was gone.

I've been using Outlook 2007 for awhile now but recently when I close it, I get a backup dialog request and I usually click yes. I must have set it to do this from the outset I don't recall. Well now on my external hd I have a file thats labeled Outlook Backup. Type of file is Microsoft Office Outlook Personal Folders. It's a big file, 1.04G. I assume this is the entire Outlook file with emails, contacts, folders, etc.

Can I just install Outlook on the new machine then copy/paste this into a new Outlook directory?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,594 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Nov-2009, 12:54 PM #4
Yes, you can copy the OLD pst to the new drive and use it, but it will then have two PST files related. When I have done this I have problems with "permissions" and the like and have gone to the import method and it has never failed me.

I would NOT try a Copy/paste as these pst files are VERY large and may not copy completely.
Member with 476 posts.

08-Dec-2009, 01:48 PM #5
I was finally able to get it to work. Thanks for the help! Now on to the next question lol!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!