Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Why doesn't WRAP TEXT (cell format) work all the time?

(!)

Member with 116 posts.

08-Aug-2002, 05:35 PM #1
Why doesn't WRAP TEXT (cell format) work all the time?
Hi everyone,

Here's an annoying little bug that I can't find a reason for...

When I paste a large amount of text (several lines) into a cell that has the WRAP TEXT format property turned on, I've found that it doesn't always wrap the text to fit in the cell; sometimes it will use just the first line of the cell and let the text spill beyond the border of the cell, and sometimes it will successfully wrap the text to fit in the cell. What gives?? I usually end up having to manually insert line returns at the end of each line to make the text fit properly in the cell.

I've also encountered this problem (sometimes) when I've had to change the width of a column after text had already been pasted into the cell.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how fix this "pebble in my shoe"?

BTW, I am using Excel 97.

Aloha
Kaneohe
Senior Member with 4,117 posts.

Experience: Still Learning
08-Aug-2002, 06:20 PM #2
You say it happens some times. Are you sure the format for those particular cells hasn't be delete or cleared?

If you are sure the formatting hasn't been removed on some of the cells then go to help, detect and repair and run the repair.
Member with 116 posts.

08-Aug-2002, 06:32 PM #3
Hi Rick,

I just pasted a large block of text into a cell and then checked to make sure that the WRAP TEXT box was still checked off (it was). I am unable to find a DETECT AND REPAIR option on my help menu or anywhere else. Help! I'm using Excel 97.

Mahalo,
Kaneohe
Senior Member with 4,117 posts.

Experience: Still Learning
08-Aug-2002, 06:38 PM #4
try it by typing it in and see if it will wrap. Pasting might be putting it in the way it is pasted.

Detect and repair, I think 97 had the feature, I am not sure anymore but if it does you will find it by clicking on Help at the top, and then in the drop down menu you should if the feature is part of 97 see detect and repair.

If you can't find it there it might not have been a part of 97. Try the help and type in repair and see if it is listed in the help files.

Maybe you can insert the cd and when it starts if you get a menu on what you want to do. That is one way of doing it with Office 2000 and XP.

Like I said it has been a while since I used 97 and am going by what I think I remember and the way they are set up now.
Member with 1,813 posts.

09-Aug-2002, 07:02 PM #5
rksleby is right - you're probably copying the cell format from the source cell (if the source is in Excel) along with the text, or if it's from another source (say, Word), your cell formatting is likely to be overwritten.

You can get passed this by using Paste Special (on the Edit menu) and choosing Values (All is the default, which include Formats).

If it happens frequently enough to irritate you, you could create a macro to wrap any cell's data and assign it to a button. You could then stick the button on one of your toolbars. Then when the pasting messed up, instead of going Edit, Paste Special, check Values, you'd just click your button.

You can either record this simple macro yourself or use the VB code:

With Selection
.WrapText = True
End With

And assign this to your button.

HTH
Member with 116 posts.

11-Aug-2002, 11:08 AM #6
Hi Gram123,

I am copying text from a web page (not hyperlinks), ie. a paragraph from a news article. It doesn't consistently happen, so it's difficult to diagnose the cause. I'll format the cell and turn on the Word Wrap property, then paste in the text and whamo! some of the text wraps (ie. the first 4 lines) and the remaining text in the cell does not! When I check to the cell format, Word Wrap is still turned on. I've even tried turning the Word Wrap property off and then back on, but it doesn't do any good. I'll try the code you suggested for a macro and see if that will save me some keystrokes.

I assume there must be a hidden HTML formatting code that is confusing Excel (?)... Does anyone else have any ideas?

Mahalo,
Kaneohe
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!