Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Turbo Tax 2009 - Data Transfer from old computer

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 23 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Mar-2010, 11:56 AM #1
Solved: Turbo Tax 2009 - Data Transfer from old computer
I want to install Turbo Tax 2009 on my new computer. (The operating system is Windows 7 - no problems with this.) I last used Turbo Tax 2008 on my old computer and want to be able to transfer the files that will automatically tell Turbo Tax 2009 my name, last year's taxes, etc. Can anyone tell me where to look and what to copy onto a thumb-drive for this process?
Computer Specs
Member with 23 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Mar-2010, 03:45 PM #2
Turbo Tax 2009 - Data Transfer from old computer
I solved my own problem. TurboTax has a feature that makes transferring older files from one computer to the next difficult. Just copying the TurboTax2008 files to a thumb-drive and moving them to the new computer did not work. The new TurboTax2009 did not recognize them. Here's what I did. I installed 2008 on my new computer and opened that year's returns by using the files on the thumb-drive. After opening each return, I saved it so it would place them on the new computer where TurboTax2009 would go to look for them later.

I then opened TurboTax2009 and opened a new return. At that point it is blank and prompts you to make a choice to transfer last year's files. On the lower end of the window it has in blue "find a tax file". Click on this and TurboTax will automatically find last year's files. Highlite one and click on it and it will transfer the file. You have to save each one and do the next the same way starting with "open a new return".
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
transferring files, turbo tax

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!