Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Excel shared books won't unlock

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

29-Apr-2010, 08:10 AM #1
Excel shared books won't unlock
Hi,
We have shared an excel document on a shared drive with 10 different user, from time to time, it shows that the excel document is locked although it isn't, we have to wait hours before being able to open the workbook gain.
What can be the issue?

thanks for your help

Max
Computer Specs
Member with 4,175 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
29-Apr-2010, 03:39 PM #2
Welcome to the forum.

Sometimes windows forgets that everyone has let go of the file and then it will keep diferent files in a locked state. Usually if that last person that was previously in the file reboots their pc then it usually will free up the file. Can you let me know what version of Excel you are using and how you went about sharing the file? I want to verify that you did it correctly.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

30-Apr-2010, 03:30 AM #3
re-
thanks for your reply
Not sure what steps did the Team take to share the book, but if for instance the book is locked under my name and I reboot my pc it doesn't solve the issue
Excel is 2003 SP3
Keebellah   (Hans) Keebellah is offline Keebellah is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. Keebellah has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,384 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-May-2010, 04:02 AM #4
One posibility could be the rigths you have on the shared network folder.
Maybe you are allowed to read, write and create but not to delete.
In this last case the lock file which is created will not be deleted / removed and therefore it remains locked.
Contact the system administrator and ask it this could be possible.
Solution: add delete rights to this particular folder.

Last edited by Keebellah; 02-May-2010 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: forgot info
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!