Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Excel selects multiple cells in spreadsheet instead of single

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-May-2010, 12:33 PM #1
Unhappy Excel selects multiple cells in spreadsheet instead of single
I am working in a very large spreadsheet and am having a problem with selecting individual cells. If I put my cursor in one cell it selects 6 more cells to the right as if they were merged while they are not. I am unable to copy formulas out of the single cell as it wants to select all 7. I don't know if it is a bug or what, but it is my 5 year financials and can't start all over. Does anyone have any ideas of what might be wrong? Please help!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,605 posts.

05-May-2010, 01:09 PM #2
Is this on 2007 - theres quite a lot of this problem report across the web, cells above or below being selected and also cells left and right being selected , and does not seem to have a final answer, that I have found. I have no problem with 2003 at all - but do not have 2007 anymore available.

a work around I saw was to:
right click and the menu pops up and then immedaitely left click then just the one cell is selected
Computer Specs

05-May-2010, 01:18 PM #3
Thanks. I will try it. Yes it is in 2007 and doesn't happen everywhere in the sheet. Sometimes in other areas it will select 3 cells and always on a horizontal path to the right. If anyone does hear about a fix please post.

Thanks again!
Trusted Advisor with 3,995 posts.

05-May-2010, 01:44 PM #4
Another workaround I've seen is to change the view from Page Layout to Normal. Good luck!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,605 posts.

05-May-2010, 01:46 PM #5
Computer Specs

05-May-2010, 04:29 PM #6
Excel selects multiple cells in spreadsheet
Thanks everybody. This is incredible help and it is a shame that Microsoft doesn't acknowledge the problem.
Email This Email  Print This Print  Add to Favorites Favorites  Tweet This Send to Facebook Send to MySpace Send to StumbleUpon Digg This | More Services More
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!