Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Need To Replace Text With Paragraph Mark In Text Editor

(!)

Member with 587 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jun-2010, 12:12 AM #1
Solved: Need To Replace Text With Paragraph Mark In Text Editor
Text files were created within excel by concatenating cells in each row. Each row became a text file. The contents of the text file are the contents of an html file. After the text file is created I change the file extension of the text file to html.

I need a mass replace text editor so I can replace the word (paramark) in the txt file (to be renamed as an html file) with a real paragraph mark that shows as a paragraph mark in Front Page.

The problem with doing what I am doing is when all the cells are concatenated in Excel, all the html contents end up on one line rather than having paragraphs separate the html lines.

Example: The Way The HTML Code Should Be

Code:
<html>
<head>
<title>Memory Master Bible Memory Program - NIV - 1 Peter 4:9</title>
<meta name="Microsoft Border" content="tlb, default">
</head>

Example: The Way The HTML Code Turns Out After Using Excel To Create The File

Code:
<html><head><title>Memory Master Bible Memory Program - NIV - 1 Peter 4:9</title><meta name="Microsoft Border" content="tlb, default"></head>
I can place text to be replaced (paramark) next to each paragraph mark so if I can find a text editor to mass replace a real paragraph mark in place of the word (paramark) my problem is solved.

I have four thousand files to process so I need to do a mass replace across files.

Thank you in advance for any replies.
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

22-Jun-2010, 02:46 AM #2
If the paragraph mark is a plain Carriage Return/Line Feed, I'd use Notepad++. It can do a Find in Files search on files on the hard drive.
Hit CTRL+H, click Find in Files tab, select Extended under Search Mode so you can use basic RegEx.
Browse to the folder, enter a search mask if needed (*.html, *.txt, etc)
Search on >< and replace with >\r\n<

Last edited by TheOutcaste; 22-Jun-2010 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: typo
Member with 587 posts.

22-Jun-2010, 04:18 AM #3
OK, I will try Notepad++.

Thank you for the advice.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

Experience: Currently stupid...
22-Jun-2010, 03:28 PM #4
HTML really is merely a formatted text file - it doesn't care if you have paragraph marks in there, and a browser would read one just like the other. The actual formatting for the browser layout comes from the HTML commands such as <p> and <br>.
So I don't see why you need to do anything.
Member with 587 posts.

23-Jun-2010, 01:36 AM #5
Outcaste, I used the NotepadPlusPlus and the project came out very well. Thank you for the tip.

I wanted to insert paragraph marks in the html text so I could make the text readable. Without inserting paragraph marks in the text, all the html text was only on one line.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!