Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Emails stuck in outbox and won't send

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jun-2010, 06:27 AM #1
Emails stuck in outbox and won't send
The problem: I tried to send an email yesterday from my Outlook 2007 (Windows XP). There were 4 Word attachments and total size was no more than 1.8mb so it should have gone. In fact it had gone - 5 times as I had tried to send it 5 times (but because it stayed in the Outbox I didn't realise it had gone 5x till a friend emailed me). This despite having an error message saying the server had 'timed out' every time I sent it. This morning, I went onto various forums to find out the problem. Microsoft say that it is because I was working offline - see http://support.microsoft.com/?id=291613. But I wasn't. This forum - http://www.fixya.com/support/t246192...king_in_outbox - was more helpful. So I adjusted my anti-virus program so it no longer scans outgoing emails (this could be a cause of the time out problem). This seemed to help with the original email on a test. However when I tried to send a large file (5mb) to a test email address I got the same time out error. So I followed up the advice of the second forum and adjusted my Outlook settings - Tools/Account settings/Change/More settings/Advanced/ and changed my server time out duration from one minute to 6 minutes. However this did not work - I got a time out after a minute or two. So can anyone help on this? Is this an Outlook 2007 problem? Is it 2 problems? I don't seem to have the problem that alot of people do which is that the email cannot be deleted from the Outbox. It just won't send large emails.
Senior Member with 329 posts.

Experience: always learning something
23-Jun-2010, 04:59 PM #2
so the message does get sent, but it won't leave the Outbox, correct?

Outlook has a message capacity of 65,534 items in each folder. Check your Sent Items for the item count.
Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

23-Jun-2010, 06:32 PM #3
Yes sorry, it does get sent but remains in the Outbox (ignore my header). But this only happens apparently for largish emails, not for normal ones. I only have 2000 or so in my sent items folder so this is not the problem. Clearly, from my own experience, and reading forums and other sources online, there is a problem with Outlook 2007 in this regard. Someone must know the answer... Microsoft?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,995 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Jun-2010, 10:05 PM #4
what all is in your "Out box", you may need to empty it manually.

Also check your email server, most email servers can be accessed from the internet, and you might see if there is some hung there.
Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

24-Jun-2010, 03:38 AM #5
Hi DaveA
My outbox is empty - unlike a lot of people using Outlook 2007, I can delete emails that just sit there. And my server (btinternet) is fine, nothing hanging there. I do emphasise this problem is widespread - see this and other forums. Something is wrong with Outlook 2007 and needs a Microsoft fix in my view. My Dad had a similar problem - a large file sat in his outbox and kept sending itself to the recipients.
Tricky
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,995 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Jun-2010, 12:04 PM #6
I have been using Outlook 2007 since it came out and have been sending large (4-8 megs) without issues.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!