Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Edit and replace tick symbol in MS Word 2007

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Jun-2010, 06:24 AM #1
Solved: Edit and replace tick symbol in MS Word 2007
Using 'new' MS Word 2007, and trying to edit and replace 'square root' symbol √ with wingdings 2 'tick' symbol P, but although I can copy or ctrl V the square root symbol into the replace dialog box, when I Ctrl V in the tick symbol it just appears as a weird symbol, not a tick at all. If I continue with the replace, the square root symbol is replaced by a cute little square, not the tick that I urgently need. Please help!
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

Experience: Currently stupid...
24-Jun-2010, 08:20 AM #2
Welcome to the Forum!
Your problem isn't with the square root symbol - it is being found and replaced. The problem is with the replacement. Open a new document and insert the symbol you want (the "2 'tick' symbol") and the square root symbol. Copy the square root symbol.
Go back to your original document and open up the Replace pop-up.
Set the Font to Symbol for both the Find and Replace fields (I assume that is what you are using) and CTRL-V the square root symbol into the Find field. (No, it won't look like that, but that is okay.) Go back to the other document and copy the "2 'tick' symbol" and CTRL-V it into the Replace filed (it also will not look like what you expect.
Click Find and Replace when it comes to the first found symbol (just to make sure it looks like you want.)
If it looks okay, click Replace all.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Jun-2010, 10:29 AM #3
Hi Slurpee55,
Thanks for trying to help. I have no problem pasting the square root symbol or the wingdings 2 tick into the find and replace pop up box... but I don't know what you mean by "Set the font to symbol for both the find and replace fields."
My MS word 2007 'find and replace pop up box' doesn't have a choice of fonts... if I change the main font on the document to symbol I get everything changed, not just the square root symbols that I want to change to ticks... so how do you set the font for only the find and replace 'fields'?
Yours hopefully,
Beserk.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

Experience: Currently stupid...
24-Jun-2010, 10:42 AM #4
Pull up the Find and Replace box and click on More>>
Then you will see a button called Format.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
ms word 2007, replace, tick

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!