Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

MS Word 2003 text boundaries?

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Aug-2010, 11:42 AM #1
MS Word 2003 text boundaries?
Can I edit the settings or turn off the text boundary function?

Have an MS Word 2003 document that has formatting problems. Specifically, on each page of the document, the text begins about halfway down from the top of the page when displayed in View: Print Layout (and also in Print Preview and when printed).

Looks fine in View: Normal. Suspiciously, it also looks fine in View: Web Layout. Also, changing the File: Page Set-up: Margins doesn't have any effect on the text placement. The vertical ruler shows the margin settings but doesn't have any marks at the top of the text.

This doc was originally created by me in MS Word 2003. Then sent to another user using MS Works, then using Word 2007, then returned to me with the problem. (Yes, I blaming the "other guys").

Here's a clue - when checking the Tools: Options: Text Boundaries box the horizontal and vertical lines enclose the text area perfectly. So I believe its a "text boundaries" issue. Can't left or right click on these text boundaries. Also, I can't find a way to edit the text boundaries or turn them "off" so that control over the text position reverts back to the Margins (as is the default in my config). Unchecking the text boundaries box only makes the lines disappear, it doesn't remove the formatting.

Also, when I tried Edit: Select All: Copy and then File: New then Edit: Paste it did not resolve the problem because the text boundary formatting (problem) came with the paste action.

Would like to salvage this document instead of recreating it from scratch. Can anyone help me diagnose this problem and repair this document?

Thanks!
Member with 966 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Aug-2010, 06:43 AM #2
I have randomly had this problem before. Go to File/Page Setup and click the Layout tab. See if Vertical Alignment is set to Center. It should be set to Top.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Aug-2010, 11:36 PM #3
Set Page Layout to "Top" - No Fix
Thanks for the fast reply. Unfortunately the setting was already set to "Top". I appreciate you taking the time to try to hep me. JimmyO59
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
formatting, ms word 2003, text boundaries

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!