Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

I can't export pst files from Microsoft Outlook - please help!

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
13-Sep-2010, 04:31 PM #1
I can't export pst files from Microsoft Outlook - please help!
I'm trying to export pst files from outlook, to move all my emails, calendar items etc onto a new computer, but as soon as I get to the 'choose an action to perform' section of the Import and Export Wizard, my Outlook freezes up and I can't get any further without force closing Outlook.

This may be linked to another issue - my laptop has suddenly stopped connecting to the internet - no apparent reason but I can't find any wireless networks and it doesn't recognise the network via cat 5 cable.

Can anyone help?
thank you,

Btw, it's an Asus laptop running Vista ultimate and office 2007.
Moderator with 13,743 posts.

13-Sep-2010, 11:25 PM #2
Hi Woopwoop

Instead of Exporting, simply copy the .pst file(s) to the new computer and then connect them to Outlook.

Start Outlook.
File > Open > Outlook Data File
Browse to the location where you pasted the .pst file(s) and select one.
The Personal Folder (.pst file) should then appear in Outlook.

Let us know how it goes.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
14-Sep-2010, 07:23 AM #3
Thanks EAFiedler.

I've tried this and windows won't let me copy the pst file. Even though I'm trying to copy onto a external hard drive with loads of space, the pst file is 11gb and windows tells me the destination file doesn't have enough space (which it does). Computer won't let me connect to internet or any network via network cable, so I can't save onto a server....
Moderator with 13,743 posts.

14-Sep-2010, 02:00 PM #4
Is Outlook running while you are attempting to copy the .pst file?
If so, close Outlook, restart the computer, then immediately copy the .pst file.

If you are still unable to copy the .pst file to the external drive, try copying the .pst file to a folder on the Desktop, then copy that folder to the external drive.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!