Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Excel 2010 ProblemsI have been getting the following errors in Excel 2010 for about 3

(!)

Junior Member with 23 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Oct-2010, 12:09 PM #1
Excel 2010 ProblemsI have been getting the following errors in Excel 2010 for about 3
I have been getting the following errors in Excel 2010 for about 3 months and they are getting more frequent (I have Win 7 Pro):

(1) Errors were detected while saving 'C:\Users\username\Documents\filename.xlsx'.
Microsoft Excel may be able to save the file by removing or repairing some
features. To make the repairs in a new file, click Continue. To cancel saving the
file, click Cancel.
(2) Cannot open the Clipboard.
(3) An unexpected error has occurred. AutoRecover has been disabled for this session of Excel.
(4) Excel has stopped working.
(5) Freezes on print preview.

I have done the following:
- Tried Excel in safe mode.
- Uninstalled and Reinstalled Office 2010.
- Disabled all add-ins.
- Done an exhaustive search on the internet only to find that other people have one or more of these errors, but no solutions.
- Other Office 2010 apps work ok.

Nothing has worked. Iím barely able to get anything done! Please help, Iím dying here!
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Oct-2010, 02:40 PM #2
Excel 2010 problems - unstable
I don't have a solution, but you are not alone. Your forum post describes exactly the kind of problems I have had with Excel ever since I installed Office 2010.
  • Sometimes a small change (changing the color of the font in one cell) will make it impossible to save a spreadsheet.
  • Sometimes I can open a spreadsheet from the Start menu, but not from an open Excel session.
  • Sometimes the clipboard cannot be opened
  • Etc.
I wish I knew what to try...

17-Oct-2010, 05:49 AM #3
Excel Problems
Thanks for replying, Mike. I'm at my wit's end. I also tried reinstalling my HP printer driver to no avail. These problems started to occur with me about Aug. 2010, I think. I haven't installed anything. It may have something to do with a Windows or Office update, just guessing. I may have to call Microsoft ($) to get "maybe" an answer. If you hear of anything , please let me know...and I'll do the same.

I'll add your list to mine since I have experienced them, too. One more: When doing a "save as" Excel freezes.

Last edited by Rich1039; 17-Oct-2010 at 01:12 PM..
Keebellah   (Hans) Keebellah is offline Keebellah is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. Keebellah has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,282 posts.

17-Oct-2010, 11:20 AM #4
Have you checked the XLSSTART folder in the Program Files folder?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12

Maybe there is a file there, any file there will be exceuted when opening Excel.
You could even have saved a recorded macro in your Personal.xlsx

This file is also stored in the XLSTART folder

17-Oct-2010, 01:09 PM #5
I have Office 2010 64-bit. In Program Files/Microsoft Office/ Office14, the XLSSTART folder is empty. I appreciate your thoughts though!

Last edited by Rich1039; 17-Oct-2010 at 01:21 PM..
Keebellah   (Hans) Keebellah is offline Keebellah is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. Keebellah has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,282 posts.

17-Oct-2010, 02:19 PM #6
Okay, but I do think that there is an equivalent of Personal.xlst stored somewhere (if it's present).
You could search for it, when you open a new sheet and open the VBA editor you should see it in the list if it's present.
If not, then there is something else, and that really is a problem.
Microsoft builds real big haystacks !

17-Oct-2010, 02:55 PM #7
I did a search for Personal.xlst. It doesn't exist. I had no such problems with Office 2007, or when I first installed Office 2010. Thanks for replying.
Computer Specs

17-Oct-2010, 03:26 PM #8
No such folders / files
I searched my computer, and found no folder named "xlsstart" and no files with the extension ".xlst" Any other ideas?

Thanks,
MikeYew
Computer Specs
Member with 5,434 posts.

Experience: I'ma learnin'!
17-Oct-2010, 04:39 PM #9
The folder is hidden. And your Personal file is probably going to be a .xlsb extension, not a template extension (xlst). What is the hardware you're running this on? I have 2010 x64 and haven't had any of these problems, and can't duplicate any of them.

Can you show the clipboard with Alt + E, B?

And you're up to date on all of your Windows updates?

17-Oct-2010, 05:45 PM #10
Zack, I see 3 .xlsb files, one of which will open. It's an old unsaved file that will open. The other 2 are $IWKRFIP.xlsb and $RWKRFIP.xlsb, what ever they are, and when I try to open them, they display the "properties" screen. There is no personal.xlsb file. "Can you show the clipboard with Alt + E, B?"...yes.

System Specs:

Dell XPS410 Intel Core 2 6600 @ 2.40 MHz
4 Gb ram
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro x64
Microsoft Office 2010 Pro Plus x64

Windows and Office are up to date.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,434 posts.

17-Oct-2010, 05:58 PM #11
Those may be partial files. I don't trust the names though. I would hold select the file, hold the Shift key and double click the file. That will open the file without firing any auto open macros. Do the files open normally that way?

Did you check the default files list? Click your Windows button and select the Default Programs link on the right. Click the Associate a file type or protocol with a program button. Once the list populates, scroll down until you see the Excel extensions, i.e. xlsx, xlsb, xlsm, etc. Make sure they're associated with Microsoft Excel.
Computer Specs

17-Oct-2010, 06:59 PM #12
no *.xlsb
I searched and didn't find any files with that extension.

I am running an HP Pavilion desktop, 2.67 Gighertz Intel Core 2 Duo. The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium. The trouble started when I installed Office 2010 - under Office 2007 no such problems.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,434 posts.

17-Oct-2010, 07:05 PM #13
Take a look at the picture file I uploaded. You're saying you do not see the highlighted file extension at all?
Attached Thumbnails
Excel 2010 ProblemsI have been getting the following errors in Excel 2010 for about 3-fileassociation_xlsx.png  

17-Oct-2010, 07:11 PM #14
$IWKRFIP.xlsb and $RWKRFIP.xlsb will not open even with the shift key. It appears they might be backup files, but won't open. I took a look at them in a hex editor and they are empty. All file associations are correct.
Computer Specs

17-Oct-2010, 07:13 PM #15
Failure to communicate
Zack:

I find those file types in the list you highlighted, and I have quite a few .xlsx files - what I don't find are any .xlsb files. None that I have found.

Mike
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!