Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Office 2010 won't install on XP

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Oct-2010, 04:30 PM #1
Question Solved: Office 2010 won't install on XP
I receive an error message stating I need to install MSXML version 6.10.1129.0. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Wendy
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,105 posts.

26-Oct-2010, 04:47 PM #2
Do you have Service Pack 3 and any other current Windows updates installed? I believe that SP3 has MSXML but not sure if it is version 6.10.1129.0
Computer Specs

26-Oct-2010, 04:50 PM #3
Yes I have Service Pack 3 and as far as I know i have all the current Windows updates installed.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

26-Oct-2010, 05:16 PM #4
Found a link on the MS site that will let you download MSXML 6.0 SP1 that will update the version of MSXML6.dll to 6.10.1129.0 but should also install without any previous versions of MSXML 6.0 on the computer. I believe that the msxml6_x86.msi file is the 32 bit version.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en

I just tried to use this installer on my computer running up to date Windows XP Home and was told it would not install because a newer version of MSXML was all ready installed. Not sure what the next step would be for you if you get the same message.
Computer Specs

26-Oct-2010, 06:20 PM #5
I had already tried this link and I receive the message that I need to insert my Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 CD and unfortunately, I have HP and only have a recovery disk; athough, even if I had the disk, my version of XP is 2002. The Service Pack 3 was updated from the Microsoft website.
Computer Specs

26-Oct-2010, 08:22 PM #6
I ended up having to reinstall Service Pack 3 and that enabled me to install Microsoft Office Pro 2010 to my Windows XP Home Edition. Thank you for all your help! Wendy
Computer Specs

26-Oct-2010, 11:03 PM #7
You're welcome. Glad to hear that you figured it our.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!