Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Excel Won't Print

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Feb-2011, 11:59 PM #1
Excel Won't Print
Hello Everyone,

So this is my first time using a forum to troubleshoot an excel problem. I consider myself fairly savvy but I'm about to go crazy! I found a thread similar to my problem but not quite.

So riddle me this:

I can print from all other sources on my computer.
I have cleared, reestablished, and checked my print area's over and over.
Print preview shows my workbook as ready to print.
I then print.
The sheets appear to actually be printing, taking its time to finish each in the usual time, but simply not print with any ink.
I can take the very excel spreadsheet, print to PDF, and then take that PDF and print - works fine BUT NOT WITH EXCEL

What's my problem?

PS: I don't have any ink in my color cartridge but I wouldn't think that would effect is since Word and PDF do fine. Please, any advice might save me.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,245 posts.

16-Feb-2011, 12:55 AM #2
What version of Office do you use?
What is your operating system"
What printer do you use?
Also, did it ever worked?
Computer Specs

16-Feb-2011, 07:10 PM #3
I use Mac's Excel 2008
I run OS-X
I use HP Photosmart 4200 series
As to if it ever worked. Yes but no longer for some odd reason.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

Experience: Currently stupid...
17-Feb-2011, 04:47 AM #4
In Page Setup check to see that your page is set to print at 100% - I have had Excel sometimes (rarely, but sometimes) change this for no apparent reason to like 1%. It then has to print each page, as usual, but it is so small that you can barely see it. It would convert to a PDF properly, however, for PDFs manage how they are printed differently.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,245 posts.

17-Feb-2011, 09:02 AM #5
Check this article and see if helps
How to troubleshoot print failures in Word for Mac, Excel for Mac or Powerpoint for Mac
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313553
Computer Specs

17-Feb-2011, 06:57 PM #6
Well I know it is not to do with the Page Setup. I am all my pages to 'shrink to fit' and it comes us in the print preview just find.

PC Wiz: I went the website you posted and tried their stuff. It didn't work.

I do have a new development. So I have got excel to print my documents BUT ONLY if I take my original worksheets and copy every last one of them to a new workbook!!!! I have no idea why this is, but currently it is my only alternative to get my worksheets to print and it is superior to saving every single last one to a PDF.

If anyone else has thoughts it would be appreciated...
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

Experience: Currently stupid...
18-Feb-2011, 01:06 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by noradahammar View Post
Well I know it is not to do with the Page Setup. I am all my pages to 'shrink to fit' and it comes us in the print preview just find.
Sorry, but this just confirms my thoughts. "Shrink to fit" does just that, literally. If your print area data should be covering 3 pages but you have it set to shrink, it will print on 1 page - probably totally illegibly, but all there. Print preview may look fine, but page setup doesn't communicate with print preview. Page setup deals with your printer drivers and actual printing issues.

I would also bet that if you copy your data to a new workbook and it prints correctly the page setup of the new workbook is different from the original.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!