Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Ms Word scrolls down too fast!

(!)

Senior Member with 828 posts.

16-Oct-2002, 12:16 PM #1
Ms Word scrolls down too fast!
Can I change the way that Word scrolls down when I highlight a page.

It scrolls down at 1 million miles per hour and I end up highlighting much more than I want!
Member with 911 posts.

Location: of the Grand and Distinguished Order of Lame Ducks (English Paddling).
16-Oct-2002, 12:26 PM #2
Try placing the cursor at the beginning of what you wish to highlight, press F8, then click at the end of the passage or bit you want - hey presto! its highlighted.

Hope this is what you want.

Mike

16-Oct-2002, 12:53 PM #3
Not really. I'm looking for a way to edit the program so that when I highlight with the mouse it scrolls down nicely like Corel and other programs.
Senior Member with 4,117 posts.

Experience: Still Learning
16-Oct-2002, 12:58 PM #4
In the control panel are the only settings I know of for scrolling and they have to do with the mouse.

You might check there to see if anything might help with that problem.

16-Oct-2002, 01:06 PM #5
I'm not talking about using the scroll wheel. I'm saying that when I highlight something and drag the pointer down it scrolls down super fast. It is ms word 2000.

How can I change that?
Member with 911 posts.

Location: of the Grand and Distinguished Order of Lame Ducks (English Paddling).
16-Oct-2002, 03:06 PM #6
I know of no way to stop this super fast scrolling when you drag the mouse cursor off the bottom of the Word 2000 screen - I use Office 2000 on my PC. Attempting to re-write code in an Office program may be fraught with unknown problems. But then someone here might know how it is done to achieve what you want - if its legal that is. Found nothing on the Net, but I'll keep it in mind during my travels.

But just how much control do you need? Using F8 you can either combine it with the Select Browse Object feature of the scroll bar on the right of screen (the little dot button) - click on it to see browse choices: page, footnote, table, et cetara (see Word Help for details);
or use the scroll bar slider - page numbers are indicated in a pop-up box by the slider as you drag it down, allowing greater control than the mouse cursor drag method. This is the same as, but faster than using Page Down keys.
Whatever method you use, clicking at the stop point of your choice will highlight everything between there and where you first placed the cursor and pressed F8.

Mike
Senior Member with 4,504 posts.

16-Oct-2002, 11:03 PM #7
The fast scrolling is a known problem in Office 2000, the only fix suggestion they offer is to upgrade to Office XP. You can try holding down the left mouse button and tapping the arrow keys to highlight the desired text.
Senior Member with 941 posts.

17-Oct-2002, 05:23 AM #8
Word has nothing to do with mouse speed, as rkselby pointed out already. Word isn't controlling your mouse; it's responding (albeit poorly) to mouse parameters as established by your operating system, i.e. what you find in the control panel.

Think how big every program would have to be if it had to take over and control mouse operation in addition to everything else...

If you want finer control, learn to use keyboard hotkeys (F8, sure, but arrow keys, page down, and CTL while holding SHIFT, all are useful) or get a better mouse.
Senior Member with 2,281 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Oct-2002, 02:10 AM #9
I think the scrolling speed depends on how much down you drag your mouse. If you drag it down too far, the scrolling speed is too much.

If you drag it down only a little, scrolling speed will be slow. But it requires some practice, I guess.

Another way of selecting text is using the Shift Key. Place cursor at the beginning of text, keep the shift key pressed and use Arrows, PageUp, PgDn, Home, End, etc. to move the cursor to the end of the text. Here you are in complete control of speed.

One tip out of the way. In Word, keep the Alt key pressed while you are selecting text with mouse. Did you notice any difference in text selection?
Member with 911 posts.

20-Oct-2002, 06:13 AM #10
Re Alt key selection
No need to keep Alt key pressed once selection starts - as long as you keep the mouse button down throughout the selection process the block selection feature works just the same.

You get a different selection style too if you use Ctrl in the same way, though it is not as useful.

Mike
Senior Member with 2,281 posts.

21-Oct-2002, 09:00 AM #11
Perfect. Ctrl Selects a sentence at a time. Thanks for the tip.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,714 posts.

21-Oct-2002, 11:33 AM #12
If you use print preview:

Double-click selects a Word.
Triple-click in a paragraph selects a whole paragraph.

If you put your pointer in the left margin:
Single click selects the line at right.
Double-click selects the paragraph at right.
Triple-click selects the entire doc.
Ctrl-click selects the entire doc.

Shift-Ctrl-End will select from *here* to the end of the document.
Shift-Ctrl-Home selects from *here* to the top of the document.

If you're working with large amounts of text, such as more than one page, try zooming to a multi-page view. That might help you select what you want.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!