Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Civilized Debate Civilized Debate
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

Prosecutor To Charge Parents In Teen's Fatal Crash

(!)

View Poll Results: Should the parents be charged?
Yes. Parents should be responsible for their minor children. 7 18.92%
Yes. They knew the car was dangerous to drive in its condition. 8 21.62%
No. The 16 year old should be held solely liable and charged as an adult. 11 29.73%
No. Parents cannot always control their children's actions, such as her speeding. 11 29.73%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Senior Member with 913 posts.

11-Jul-2003, 01:03 AM #16
I got my license at 15 in florida, because I was already in college by then but also taking classes in highschool, I had to prove to my father that I was responsible enough to drive

I think if she had a bad driving record her parents should have kept a closer eye on her driving and probably should have driven with her for a while or taken her license away from her (Parents do have a right to do that in my opinion)

Yes I am 20, but I believe that if you prove you are responsible and all, you should be able to take driver's ed at the time it becomes available to you, (IF YOU SHOW RESPONSIBILITY), I also agree that there are some teens out there that really shouldn't have thier licenses , (example this girl) if they don't show the responsibility and drive like maniacs.

Most kids (yes I said it, even though I am still one myself) think that driving is a right. They are wrong, it is a luxury, one you must earn. They believe that a car is a toy, and allows them to be more "independent". For kids like those, they should not issue a license to them.

Just my two cents. . .. . I hope I don't get chewed out for this.

Cynthia
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Jul-2003, 01:22 AM #17
Angel, I don't think I've seen you take a position on this..........what do ya think?????
Always remembered in our hearts with 82,163 posts.

Experience: Learning it all here!
11-Jul-2003, 01:45 AM #18
You're still up???

Ok...I think that the daughter and parents should share some responsibility in the matter. The daughter for driving dangerously and going 90 mph...the parents simply because their daughter is a minor and by law they are responsible for her actions good or bad under most insurance policies. Also it stated they were aware of their daughter's "erratic driving history". Makes me think she has driven poorly in the past by that statement! The part that needs to be clarified is the parent's charge "the unlawful operation of a vehicle". Did this mean she had a graduated driver's license like here in MI where she could only drive with an adult in the car, yet was permitted to drive alone....it doesn't sound like a charge for bald tires and bad brakes. You know the prosecution will bring up the disrepair of the car in any case....so it will be held against her...I believe the condition of the car lies solely on the parents! This is another of those tough cases Candy...you want to feel sorry for the girl...but she took two lives with her irresponsible act of speeding! She knows right from wrong! Then of course we don't know the mental conditon of the girl....defense will try anything to win for her. The only good thing that can come out of this is that hopefully this girl has learned a valuable lesson....and I doubt the guilt of causing the death of 2 people will leave her soon. So there's my opinion Candy...just for you! Take care. angel
June 18, 2007: My niece Christi had her baby GIRL! 10:15 a.m.....Emily Debra....7 Lbs. 10 Ozs....21" in length. She has a little dark hair...moves her lips and mouth so sweetly...has pretty petite features...thank you God!!

11-Jul-2003, 01:52 AM #19
Cynthia: Why chew you out! Your post is wise and very true! I've already stated a teenager should be able to show maturity and responsibilty before even being allowed to take driver's ed. A car can quickly become a weapon if in the hands of an immature show-off! This is unfortunately true of some adults too! I set a good example for my soon to be 14 year old by driving safely and defensely. He also is picking up all the driving laws as we drive and I explain them to him. BUT...he is going to have to be emotionally mature for me to consider driver's ed at age 14 and 9 months! No ifs ands or buts! I'll be responsible for his actions right on up to 18! So your post was good! You sound very mature and sure of yourself to me! Take care. angel
Senior Member with 913 posts.

18-Jul-2003, 10:18 PM #20
well the reason I said I hope I don't get chewed out for it is:

Most people will say that hey she's still a kid and kid's want to drive and therefore believe that all kids should drive.

I feel driving is a privelege and not a right

Thanks Angel

Cynthia

18-Jul-2003, 10:27 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by angelize56:
Ok...I think that the daughter and parents should share some responsibility in the matter. The daughter for driving dangerously and going 90 mph...the parents simply because their daughter is a minor and by law they are responsible for her actions good or bad under most insurance policies.
Ok, I can't resist. This thread hasn't had too many more responses since my plea to angel (now, you know I love ya, and I'm not picking on you ) however, what about the kid who dropped the snowball deal on a car from atop of the overpass. Do ya think his parents should have some liability too? And by the same token, do you think this gal should be tried as an adult???????? And sentenced equally as it was suggested that that particular 16 year old should be

19-Jul-2003, 12:43 AM #22
And by the same token I love ya too Candy and I don't feel picked on! Hmmm....I had to think about your questions! Now the parents of the girl were liable because they allowed her use of their car which they entrusted her with....the kid on the overpass was out on his own doing something not involving his parents....a chunk of ice was his downfall. Unfortunately in what I know of the law parents are responsible for their minor children's actions...to me this can be totally unfair many times! With the car incident....there is a potential for an accident each time you allow another to drive your car, especially a minor who hasn't been driving long. With your children...you really cannot know 24 hours a day what they are up to! No one can do that without being in physical proximity to their child at all times...we know this isn't possible and comes a time we must trust our children to act responsibly in our absence! So your questions are tough ones! To me both acts were irresponsible....both kids did a terrible thing...but the chunk of ice thrown off the overpass just seems to reek of intent to cause a car windshield to shatter or worse....I believe the boy had a goal in mind when he threw the chunk of ice. The girl on the other hand was speeding but I don't believe she had the intent to harm or kill someone intentionally....she wasn't speeding in the hope of hitting someone. As to trying them as adults....hmmm...another tough question! To tell you the truth...I'm not sure! I think I was going with trying the boy as an adult because I was swayed by the victim's families feelings and loss! I think the judge should make that decision based on evidence in the cases, the victim's families feelings, the mental health of the kids, factors like that. Past criminal offenses should be taken into account too. I bet it's harder for him to decide than us! I hope this answers your queries! Take care. angel (Always your friend no matter how we agree or disagree!)

29-Jul-2003, 06:21 PM #23
Another sad, sad case of a young 16 year old driver and even younger passengers and a big tragedy here in Michigan. This just brought tears to me...it is so awful! My cousins know several of these kids. Take care. angel

Victims, Community Recover From Fatal Crash

Counselors To Be Made Available For Students

POSTED: 6:03 p.m. EDT July 29, 2003
UPDATED: 6:25 p.m. EDT July 29, 2003

Three teens were killed and five other passengers were injured when the driver of a minivan lost control on a dirt road in Fowlerville Monday night.

David Keniston, 16, the driver of the vehicle; Timothy Zumbach, 15; and Kari Cairns, 13, were killed in the accident. Julie Jones, 14, was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital where she remains in critical condition. Alli Meyer, 12, was airlifted to University of Michigan and is reported in fair condition. Zach and Margaret Keniston, the brother and sister of the driver killed in the crash, were taken to Sparrow Hospital in Lansing. Their condition is unknown.

Kenneth Clontz, 15, of Fowlerville was released from University of Michigan Hospital Tuesday afternoon.

Livingston County undersheriff Bob Bezotte told Local 4 that alcohol was not a factor in the crash, but speed and an inexperienced driver did play a role.

"Parents should sit down if they're going to allow their kids to drive and counsel them -- tell them the dangers of driving, what the responsibilities are," Bezotte said.

The accident happened at 11:10 p.m. Monday on Hogback Road, near Grand River Road, in Handy Township, near Fowlerville, Local 4 learned. A 1996 Oldsmobile Silhouette driven by David Keniston was southbound on Hogback Road when the vehicle left the roadway, overturned and struck a tree, according to the Livingston County Sheriff's Department.

Keniston was approaching a curve when he missed the turn and took out several trees, Local 4 reported. Some of the teenagers were wearing seat belts.

Undersheriff Bob Bezotte said the teenagers were out having a good time, reportedly toilet-papering homes before the crash occurred.

The driver, Keniston, the front-seat passenger, Zumbach, and Cairns, who was sitting in a rear passenger seat, were killed instantly, according to the Sheriff's Department.

All but one of the vehicle's occupants were from Fowlerville, the station reported.

Several of the teens attend schools in the Fowlerville School District and were all described as good kids -- many of them honors students, Local 4 reported.

"This is going to touch everybody here," said one student.

Bezotte said it's the most devastating accident the county has had in years.

"It really hit home for the firemen and EMS and the deputies that were out there. We all relate to that. We all have kids," Bezotte said.

Grief counselors are being made available for residents who were first on the scene to offer assistance to the victims in the crash.

29-Jul-2003, 06:32 PM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by angelize56:
The accident happened at 11:10 p.m.

reportedly toilet-papering homes before the crash occurred.

While tragic, I see two things that alarm me there.

First you have 12, 13, 14 and 15 year olds out at 11 p.m. and they were doing what??????????

Let's talk parental responsibility here folks

29-Jul-2003, 06:36 PM #25
Candy: Exactly! And three of the kids were related! Now this case will take on the same as the other....will the parents be charged also. Unfortunately they have lost their 16 year old son who was driving and the conditions of their other two children aren't listed. They have suffered the ultimate punishment already. Take care. angel

01-Aug-2003, 09:13 PM #26
UPDATE on second story: The young girl was taken off life support and passed away. Take care. angel

Fourth Teen Dies after Fatal Crash

(8/1/03 - Ann Arbor) A fourth teenager has died from injuries she sustained when a minivan full of young people crashed early this week. A Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital spokeswoman says 14-year-old Julie Jones of Webberville has died. The minivan's 16-year-old driver David Keniston of Fowlerville died in the crash, along with 15-year-old Timothy Zumbach of Gladwin and 13-year-old Kari Cairns of Howell. The Livingston County Sheriff's Department says David failed to negotiate a curve Monday night in Handy Township, about 60 miles west of Detroit. The minivan veered off the road, flipped over and hit a tree. Four other young people were hurt in the crash. The youngest 12-year-old Alli Meyer remains in fair condition at the University of Michigan Hospital.
Senior Member with 3,369 posts.

01-Aug-2003, 09:25 PM #27
Having read this thread (Thank you, Angelize56) and after having witnessed much in my life on our roads I have long come to the conclusion that no one should be issued a drivers permit prior to the age of twenty one. By this age approximately seventy percent of their teenage ignorance and stupidity will have evolved towards something resembling a mature adult. Ages sixteen and eighteen are far too young for an individual to be flying around the roads with two tons of steel
Computer Specs
Gone and dearly missed with 7,281 posts.

Experience: Fake it, till I make it !
01-Aug-2003, 09:35 PM #28
Wow .......

Lu

01-Aug-2003, 09:44 PM #29
Al: Thanks. I agree with what you've said. I don't know too many mature 16 year olds and only a few mature 18 year olds. At 16 the world seems at your feet and you don't always make good judgement calls....driving is a place where wrong calls and immaturity don't belong and end in tragedies like those above. I will not sign for my son to have driver's ed here at age 14 and 9 months. Too young! Take care. angel
Computer Specs
Member with 7,530 posts.

Experience: Mech. Engineering Ninja
03-Aug-2003, 02:52 AM #30
Wait wait wait..............already at post #12 I see a good argument brewing.

First, my opinion about the whole incident. The parents shouldn't be touched. The tires and brakes have nothing to do with this incident. There's no way this would have been prevented. As for making them responsible for not teaching her correctly or whatever.........she's only been driving for a short time...what parent would really have been any different? As for her.....I wouldn't say she should be tried as an adult. She's already facing two accounts of vehicular manslaughter...which is appropriate..........so now the poor girl has to live with this whole incident her whole life.......the poor girl is screwed.....I see depression and a sad future already. On top of this, her childhood is over......she's going to be way behind in school because of jail time she is most definately recieving.......her life is ruined--all because she was stupid. I think she's learned her lesson......let's not make things any worse.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!