Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Civilized Debate Civilized Debate
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

Red Hot Debate Over Hot Sauce Punishment

(!)

View Poll Results: Should "hot saucing" be made illegal?
Yes, it is a form of abuse 13 43.33%
No, it is a form of discipline 14 46.67%
Don't know/Unsure 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Computer Specs
Member with 11,543 posts.

26-Aug-2004, 07:45 PM #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard
LOL.

Would anyone dump Hotsauce in a dog's mouth because he won't stop making noise? How about a cat when they keep meowing at you to get your attention. What about the budgies that keep making a mess of the house with feathers everywhere?

_
Unlike humans animals don't have the ability to reason. They learn by repetition and the old reward system. Yes I know some parents use the reward system but with the amount things kids have at their disposal this method is becoming less effective. I to remember the soap trick and let be it known that it took only once. Hot-sauce ???? Don't know if I would go to that extreme but I can tell you there are a few kids in my hood that I would like to use it on !

I hanger some of my aircraft shots HERE
Always remembered in our hearts with 82,163 posts.

Experience: Learning it all here!
13-Oct-2004, 04:40 PM #47
Prosecutors Say Making 13-Year-Old Drink Hot Sauce Is Not Crime
Lawyer Compares Punishment To Washing Out Mouth With Soap

POSTED: 6:53 am EDT October 13, 2004
UPDATED: 3:08 pm EDT October 13, 2004

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Prosecutors in Sarasota have dropped felony child-neglect charges against a man who forced his 13-year-old stepson to drink hot sauce as punishment for leaving a gate open.

An attorney for Michael Massanelli said prosecutors have acknowledged that making the teenager drink hot sauce was no different than washing a child's mouth out with soap. In the words of lawyer Derek Byrd, "if giving hot sauce were criminal, then a lot of our grandmothers would have gone to jail."

Sheriff's detectives charged Massanelli in June and booked him into jail on child abuse charges.

An arrest report said he told detectives he was upset because his two-year-old daughter could have wandered out of the gate left open by his stepson.

After forcing him to drink the hot sauce, the boy told detectives his stepfather wouldn't allow him to rinse his mouth, which "felt as if it were on fire."

Detectives say they charged Massanelli with child abuse because he intentionally inflicted physical or mental injury upon the boy.

Later, the prosecutors amended the charge to felony child neglect. But Byrd says once they examined the record, they realized there was NO malice or criminal intent.
June 18, 2007: My niece Christi had her baby GIRL! 10:15 a.m.....Emily Debra....7 Lbs. 10 Ozs....21" in length. She has a little dark hair...moves her lips and mouth so sweetly...has pretty petite features...thank you God!!
Account Disabled with 55,854 posts.

Experience: Need no stinking badges
13-Oct-2004, 04:46 PM #48
What a bunch of idiots.
Next they'll be saying an open hand spank on the fanny IS illegal.

13-Oct-2004, 04:50 PM #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LANMaster
Next they'll be saying an open hand spank on the fanny IS illegal.
Haven't they already!
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,138 posts.

Experience: Have Cooked For Forty Humans
13-Oct-2004, 06:55 PM #50
Yummy! Weapons of Mass Deliciousness! At my restaurant, we'd never get away with hot saucing. Unless it was a joke. Well, we still wouldn't get away with it, but it sure would be funny. And tasty! We consider staff woosies(sp?) unless they slather their staff meal in Frank's Hotter than Hot sauce.

On a less serious note, they should understand that hot sauce on the tongue is nothing compared to Dave's Insanity Sauce in the EYE. Holy cow that hurts. I was blind for a half hour. If some of these parents were actually being torturous or abusive, they'd do worse than feed kids tasty treats. Try rubbing the fresh juice of a jalapeno on your face. Anywhere not close to your eyes. Now try to wash it off. It hurts bad and it doesn't come off with soap and water. In fact I think that actually makes it worse. You just have to ride that one out.
Member with 19,134 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Oct-2004, 07:14 PM #51
God gave kids a thick layer of fat on their rumps so they wouldnt be injured when spanked. A spanking should hurt, but it shouldnt be a prolonged event to draw out pain and suffering of the child, like hot sauce would do.
Member with 10,674 posts.

Experience: Forums Favorite Piņata
13-Oct-2004, 07:23 PM #52
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskates
I can't imagine putting hotsauce on my baby's tongue and then watching him scream in pain
Seems cruel to me, I can think of a few celebrities that should have their mouths hotsauced ......Howard Stern comes to mind and then a few others

This is abuse pure and simple!

People that do this kind of stuff usually end up doing "harder" abuses... like making the children read mulders posts
Computer Specs
Member with 13,935 posts.

13-Oct-2004, 07:51 PM #53
Hmm, I actually never waited to figure out a punishment. If the kid did something that warranted punishment I did it on the spot. I didn't run to the fridge for hot sauce or to the bath for soap. I also didn't wait until we got home.

Mess up enough in public and you got your butt smacked in public. I didn't do it to humiliate I did it to let them know what they were doing was wrong. If they were ashamed by the butt smacking that is good. A little humility never killed anyone.

I embarrassed my youngest to death one time when she was having a fit for a toy. She screamed "I want it" at the top of her lungs. I screamed "I said no" at the top of mine. I won the shouting match. She dropped it and hung her head in shame because her dad was such an idiot. If she had continued with the hissy I would have spanked her but what I did worked. She NEVER did it again.

02-Nov-2004, 02:59 PM #54
deh: Did you catch this from the UK? I think the bad portion of the law is the term "reasonable chastisement".....some parent's view of that could get out of hand!

British Mums And Dads Can Still Spank Their Kids

POSTED: 9:48 am EST November 2, 2004
UPDATED: 2:14 pm EST November 2, 2004

LONDON -- British lawmakers are rejecting an effort to outlaw spanking.

They've voted overwhelmingly against a measure that would have made it illegal for parents to spank their children.

The issue sparked a passionate debate in the House of Commons. Some lawmakers say children deserve the same legal protection as adults against being hit. But Prime Minister Tony Blair's government didn't want to be accused of intruding in family issues, and discouraged an outright ban.

They preserved an 1860 court ruling that allows parents to use "reasonable chastisement."

Two parliamentary committees contended that's used too often to defend violent behavior that goes beyond a smack. A number of members of the ruling Labor Party called for any form of physical punishment to be outlawed.

Lawmakers are also considering a measure that makes it easier to prosecute parents who inflict physical or mental abuse.

Several other European countries already consider physical punishment of children illegal.
Cherished forever in our hearts with 8,924 posts.

02-Nov-2004, 04:45 PM #55
I think where confusion comes in, is in the difference between punishment and abuse, and correction or discipline. I would never put hot sauce on a child's tongue .. And certainly NEVER on a babies tongue.. But I don't think a drop on the tongue would kill a 6 or 7 year old just starting to think gutter language was cool either! Notice I said a drop.. Different children require different methods. Something like hot sauce would leave an after taste that would be remembered for a while.. I always treated my children with respect,like people and as individuals ,but I also understood that it was my job to teach them to be self disciplined balanced adults.. With a responsibility to themselves and others. And that childhood isn't only about being a kid.
Correction is a vital part of that learning and growing process. My children knew that if they did something which was harmful to themselves or others they would be warned twice if they still did it deliberately.. They would get punished for it.. I tried never to spank them in anger or threatened something that I didn't mean. I believed that consistency was also important.. They grew up knowing that life is cause and effect.. If you deliberately do something which is wrong.. There will be consequences!
I remember once when my son was two (the terrible two's ) I had taken him grocery shopping .. He asked for candy as we passed it in the isle .. I said no not now maybe later..
That was fine until he observed another kid asking his mother for candy at the top of his voice.. And throwing a kicking and screaming tantrum till his mother gave in
Cameron was a very bright kid.. I could just see the mental wheels turning..
he decided to try that method of coercion I bent down and whispered in his ear
(he had to stop screaming to hear me) If you don't stop that right now I will have to spank you. he stopped thought about it.. and started again.. so I took him out of the cart
put him over my knee and whacked his bottom a couple of times.. this surprised him so much he stopped the tantrum.. he never threw a tantrum again.. he also learned that mommy means what she says and that throwing a tantrum was not the way to get what you want.. the point is.. it was not something that even hurt physically, it was not something that was done In anger, but the understanding come , the lesson was taught the potential problem was nipped in the bud, and respect for his parent followed too.
My children grew up to be well adjusted, well balanced, independent, loving adults.. Who understood the difference between punishment and discipline... punishment seldom works.. Discipline on the other hand teaches responsible adulthood, and comes from love.

02-Nov-2004, 04:51 PM #56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Bea
My children grew up to be well adjusted, well balanced, independent, loving adults.. Who understood the difference between punishment and discipline... punishment seldom works.. Discipline on the other hand teaches responsible adulthood, and comes from love.
Bea: I'm not surprised to hear this from you!! *GBY*

02-Nov-2004, 04:58 PM #57
Thanks Marlene *GBY*
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 16,256 posts.

02-Nov-2004, 09:11 PM #58
AARRGH!

I could only wish for hot-sauce punishment. That's better than winXP SP2 punishment!

03-Nov-2004, 08:36 AM #59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciberblade
AARRGH!

I could only wish for hot-sauce punishment. That's better than winXP SP2 punishment!

I hear ya!
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,905 posts.

Experience: Computer & Web Design
03-Nov-2004, 10:36 AM #60
I think its a very creative way to adjust a young persons behavior. However, the only hot sauce in our house would permanently damage a persons insides i.e Dave's Insanity and Spontaneous combustion both rated over 55,000 skofield units. http://www.mohotta.com/
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!