Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Civilized Debate Civilized Debate
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

"Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense"

(!)

Account Disabled with 2,355 posts.

Experience: Marine Engineering
23-Jan-2005, 09:12 AM #1
"Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense"
The correct meaning of the motto "Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense".

Dishonorable are those who think evil of it.

From French Honnir

Dishonorable

base, beguiling, black, blackguardly, corrupt, cowardly, creeping, crooked, debasing, deceitful, deceptive, degrading, dishonorable, dishonourable, disreputable, disgraceful, dishonest, double-dealing, double-faced, double-tongued, duplicitous, fallacious, false, fawning, fraudulent, ignoble, ignominious, immoral, inglorious, insincere, Janus-faced, misleading, obscure, opprobrious, picaresque, rascally, roguish, scoundrelly, shabby, shameful, thieving, thievish, two-faced, unethical, unjust, untrustworthy, untrusty, unworthy, unprincipled, yellow.

Neutral Impartiality in all things, at all times.
Account Disabled with 717 posts.

Experience: "What's a computer"
23-Jan-2005, 11:18 AM #2
Arrow I disagree
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM-PAGE
The correct meaning of the motto "Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense".

Dishonorable are those who think evil of it.

From French Honnir

Dishonorable

base, beguiling, black, blackguardly, corrupt, cowardly, creeping, crooked, debasing, deceitful, deceptive, degrading, dishonorable, dishonourable, disreputable, disgraceful, dishonest, double-dealing, double-faced, double-tongued, duplicitous, fallacious, false, fawning, fraudulent, ignoble, ignominious, immoral, inglorious, insincere, Janus-faced, misleading, obscure, opprobrious, picaresque, rascally, roguish, scoundrelly, shabby, shameful, thieving, thievish, two-faced, unethical, unjust, untrustworthy, untrusty, unworthy, unprincipled, yellow.

Neutral Impartiality in all things, at all times.
Evil Be To Him Who Evil Thinks!
Just what are you up to? Mr Rum-Rage You should have noticed my Copyright Don't make me send around the "Heavies" And what are you implying in your list of definitions for the word: Dishonorable?
I will now have to add old French translations to your ever expanding repertoire of dexterities.
Non illigitamus carborundum ! Vah! Denuone latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.

Last edited by guitarman1; 23-Jan-2005 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: Ita erat quando hic adveni.

23-Jan-2005, 11:57 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman1
Evil Be To Him Who Evil Thinks!
Is a misquote.

"Ita erat quando hic adveni." = I have, yet another, new skin.

Like a snake probably.

"Don't make me send around the "Heavies""

Is that a threat? If so I will have you tracked down and imprisoned.
Member with 29,787 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Jan-2005, 04:20 PM #4
BEWARE THE "HEAVIES"

This is a story of the "heavies" in action.

In One Night, Iraqi Turns From Friend to Foe

Man Who Supported U.S. Occupation Calls Americans 'the Devil' After Alleged Raid on His House

By Jackie Spinner
Washington Post Staff Writer

01/23/05 "Washington Post" -- BAGHDAD -- The day after the soldiers came, Imaad ordered his mother to go through her refrigerator and pantry and throw out all the cheese that had been made outside Iraq. He went around and collected any images of Westerners in the house, threw them in a pile and burned them until they were floating bits of ash. He struck his mother repeatedly and forbade her to watch foreign news or movie channels on their new television.

The Americans were "the devil," Imaad ranted.

By all accounts, Imaad, 32, was a typical, mild-mannered college graduate who spoke English well and had quietly supported the U.S. presence in Iraq -- until Jan. 5, the night the soldiers came.

His story about that night, told days later in his small living room, is the story of how the U.S. military made an enemy of one man during a 20-minute encounter.

The U.S. military, along with Iraqi security forces, routinely conducts raids throughout Iraq to try to catch insurgents. For the troops, the missions are often dangerous; soldiers say one of the greatest difficulties they face is figuring out who is a friend and who is an enemy.

Since the war began in March 2003, 1,077 American troops have died in hostile action, official figures show. In addition, insurgents kill Iraqi troops on an almost daily basis.

Often, soldiers on raids find illegal weapons, ringleaders and vital information that can prevent more attacks. But often, the raids turn up little and leave hard feelings among civilians who resent foreign soldiers bursting into their homes, breaking doors and gates and pointing guns at their heads. They resent these men catching their wives and daughters in their bedclothes. They resent them barking orders, telling them to get on the ground, invading their homes, emptying drawers and turning over mattresses.

On the night of Jan. 5, Imaad and his mother, Um Imaad -- both of whom declined to give their full names for fear of retribution -- were watching a movie in the living room. As in most other parts of the capital for the past two months, their Adhimiya neighborhood has electricity about two hours a day. So the generators outside were humming at about 9 that night, and the television was turned up so they could hear.

Imaad said they were startled by a loud banging at the door. He went quickly to open it. When he did, Imaad said, there were about a dozen U.S. soldiers standing with their guns pointed at his head.

Imaad and his mother said the soldiers rushed in, ordering them to sit together while they searched the house. "You look poor," Imaad recalled one of the soldiers saying. "Why?"

Imaad answered in English: "I have not been able to find a job, although I'm a graduate of the College of Arts." His heart was pounding, Imaad said. His mother, a chatty widow who adores her son, sat next to him, shaking.

The soldiers went to search his bedroom. He heard laughing, and then they called for him, he said. Imaad went to his room and saw that the soldiers had found several magazines he kept hidden from his mother. They had pictures of girls in swimsuits and erotic poses. Imaad said the soldiers spread the magazines on his bed and put his Koran in the middle.

"This is a good match," Imaad said one of the soldiers told him.

"It was a nightmare," he said. "I will never forget those bad soldiers when they put the Koran among the magazines."

Within 20 minutes, the soldiers left without arresting him or his mother. While the soldiers went next door to search his neighbor's house, Imaad began to slap his mother, he said. "The American people are devils," Um Imaad recalled her son repeating.

He left her and went to a mosque to spend the night. "I asked God to forgive me," Imaad said, "because I could not prevent American sins."

The Army's Task Force Baghdad, which includes soldiers from the 1st Cavalry and 82nd Airborne Divisions, are mainly responsible for securing the capital city.

Lt. Col. James Hutton, a spokesman for the 1st Cavalry, said Task Force Baghdad soldiers were not involved in the raid that night. He said other U.S. units, including military police, operate in Baghdad but that he had no information about their possible involvement.

Army Lt. Col. Daniel Baggio, another military spokesman in Baghdad, said he also could not confirm that a raid took place that night. "That sort of behavior is not condoned by the U.S. military, and I find it hard to believe U.S. soldiers would do that," he said. "I'm not saying it didn't happen. It just seems odd."

Neighbors corroborated parts of Imaad's account. They said the soldiers raided their houses on Jan. 5, telling them that they were responding to an explosion in the area. One man said a soldier angrily punched him and broke his nose. The injury was apparent a week later.

They said American soldiers raided one side of the street, and Iraqi security forces raided another. They said the soldiers arrived in armored vehicles and left after about two hours, taking several Iraqi civilians with them.

The neighborhood is known to harbor insurgents, including some who moved to Baghdad from Fallujah after a U.S. offensive there in November. Neighbors acknowledged there were anti-American groups among them, but they said not everyone opposed the foreign troops or Iraq's U.S.-backed interim government.

Imaad and his mother said they had no memorable encounters with soldiers before Jan. 5, no reason to hate or mistrust them. But Um Imaad said she had been distraught since that night at the changes in her son, a plump man with a round face and a receding hairline. His father died in the Iran-Iraq war two decades ago, leaving mother and son with only each other for support.

Um Imaad, who wore a simple white scarf tucked around her brown, crinkled face, said that after the raid she thought she was going to lose her son, too. "He had a crisis," she said, explaining what happened.

Um Imaad brought Imaad pills from the doctor to try to calm him. He looked at the yellow ones, then the red ones and refused to take them. "All these belong to Jewish people," he said, pushing one set aside. "And these others are from bad or foreign people."

Imaad said that two weeks after the raid, he was still struggling to return to normal. He was no longer hitting his mother, but he still would not allow her to watch foreign television or buy products made outside Iraq.

Imaad said he was embracing his Muslim faith as never before. He spends most of his time at the mosque praying or reading the Koran. He is also looking for a job.

Before the war, Imaad worked for a commerce company, making about $50 a month and spending most of it on transportation. He has not been able to find work in the nearly two years since.

He never really held the Americans responsible for that, he said, until the night of Jan. 5.

"I used to have a good opinion of the Americans," Imaad said. "But they are the enemy. They are bad."

2005 The Washington Post Company

(In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. Information Clearing House has no affiliation whatsoever with the originator of this article nor is Information Clearing House endorsed or sponsored by the originator.)

23-Jan-2005, 07:44 PM #5
Question ???
I believe that you are hijacking Rum-Rages thread otherwise your article seems a little cryptic?
Listen Ram I know there has been much debate over the years as to what this phrase is saying due to translation arguements , so what point are you trying to make other than arguement for the sake of arguement?

23-Jan-2005, 09:11 PM #6
Quote:
I believe that you are hijacking Rum-Rages thread otherwise your article seems a little cryptic?
I thought it proved the point.

24-Jan-2005, 01:44 AM #7
Wink My hat Sir..
Quote:
Originally Posted by xico
I thought it proved the point.
TOUCHE'

24-Jan-2005, 04:54 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by xico
BEWARE THE "HEAVIES"

This is a story of the "heavies" in action.

In One Night, Iraqi Turns From Friend to Foe

Man Who Supported U.S. Occupation Calls Americans 'the Devil' After Alleged Raid on His House

By Jackie Spinner
Washington Post Staff Writer

01/23/05 "Washington Post" -- BAGHDAD -- The day after the soldiers came, Imaad ordered his mother to go through her refrigerator and pantry and throw out all the cheese that had been made outside Iraq.

He went around and collected any images of Westerners in the house, threw them in a pile and burned them until they were floating bits of ash.

He struck his mother repeatedly and forbade her to watch foreign news or movie channels on their new television.

The Americans were "the devil," Imaad said.
I disagree.

The "devil" is the Church.

A church which encourages people to have more children which neither they, nor the planet, can afford to support.

All countries need to adopt a policy of Government of the State, by the State, for the State, and NOT by ANY church.

Most of the problems which we see today are caused by Religious Agitators who whip up racism and hysteria and who are directly responsible for sectarianism.

The effects of this hysteria can be seen in the Haj, where the "religious" are encouraging people (not sheep) to throw stones at the "devil".

This is clearly a nonsense and just another act of Religious Terrorism probably orchestrated by Rome and their celibate Eunuchs who are simply bitter at not being allowed to marry and who refuse to take responsibility for the outcome of anything. I don't see this as being either a good Shepherd or a good father figure.

How can a celibate Eunuch, and his entourage, possibly be thought of as father figures or mother figures?

It would be a far better thing for the people to throw stones at the church in my opinion, lest they all be forced to become Eunuchs too and made to eat a diet of cake.

In all of these respects it seems that it has always been the church institution that acted dishonourably.

Last edited by RAM-PAGE; 24-Jan-2005 at 05:31 AM..

24-Jan-2005, 06:16 AM #9
Quote:
I will now have to add old French translations to your ever expanding repertoire of dexterities.

Non illigitamus carborundum ! Vah! Denuone latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.
" Interdum modo elabitur."

You should get that seen to, or practice your technique more.

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit."

24-Jan-2005, 10:22 AM #10
Quote:
"Interdum modo elabitur."
You should get that seen to, or practice your technique more.
..Ram-Page
Its not the quantity, more the quality .

I say to that....... " Vescere bracis meis" !!!
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

Last edited by guitarman1; 24-Jan-2005 at 10:30 AM..

24-Jan-2005, 12:11 PM #11
Quote:
..Ram-Page
Its not the quantity, more the quality .

I say to that....... " Vescere bracis meis" !!!
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
Very profound of you, as profound (deep) as the Red Sea. However nearly all Latin is vulgar as it derives from the word cunning. Low cunning in most cases, as in sneaky and underhanded.

However I did come across this amusing ... passage. (Hmm.)

Macdonaldus Senex fundum habuit. E-I-E-I-O. Et in hot fundo nonnullas boves domesticas habuitt. E-I-E-IO. Cum moo moo hic, et cum moo moo ibi. Hic una moo, ibi una moo, ubique una moo moo. Macdonaldus Senex fundum habuit. E-I-E-I-O

A reference to "holy" "cows" I suppose.

In any case it is not the sort of standard we are looking for, or expect, being more to do with the thinking of the gutter.

What is said in Latin may sound profound but it is of little or no practical use. Most use it to impress, to mystify, or to appear to be "intellectual", when, in fact, they are mostly peasants who cheapen themselves with inverted "ideals", having used low cunning all their lives.

Rather than use Latin it is much easier just to say piss off to these po-faced fools who largely have the mental capacity of a parrot with a measurable IQ of 10.

As a Latin Scholar I got as far as Agricola and Villa (pronounced willa) and decided that whoever had a similar mentality was probably very "agricultural" and spent most of his time at home where he played with his willy too much whilst his brain rarely lifted above the level of low cunning.

So you see, I am not easy to impress.

I am certainly not impressed thus far.

However, I am always prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

We'll see.

24-Jan-2005, 12:44 PM #12
You mean you didn't get into Caesar's Gallic wars?

24-Jan-2005, 01:06 PM #13
Not Julius Caesar, or JC?

25-Jan-2005, 02:03 AM #14
Talking After EFX !
Ram-Rage ,trying to win an arguement with Guitarman! ------> . .

25-Jan-2005, 02:31 AM #15
Quote:
Ram-Rage ,trying to win an arguement with Guitarman!
CAT

Cheap And Trashy

Cars And Tobacco

Cunning And Treacherous

If you insist on talking in terms of planets you could be mistaken for a Planetarian.

Mars Vs Earth. The Angry Eye of Jupiter, Io. Mad Hatters from Mercury. Pluto the Dog. Men are from Mars Women are from Venus, etc.

You are rapidly loosing your grip on reality and turning into a load of two dimensional cartoon caricatures.

You are the Planetarians, cheap attractive trash, you whistle tunies, watch cartoonies, you're a bunch of raving loonies.

Either that or you are a bunch of butchers dogs running around a Whore-house, screwing around in your Red and Black vision of Heaven and Hell like a Pimpernels pimp, driving a taxi full of your own knowledge and self-importance. Being well RED in literature and Cat litter whilst lying (lying down or just not telling the truth) in your lit (French for bed) listening to your hormones (whore-moans).

So far you have become, Cats, Dogs, Crows, Rabbits, Sheep, Crooks (As in Shepherd) Hook (As in Captain) playing A Midsummer Night's Dream, in the Shakesperian Theatre of the round looking at Bottom(s).

DOG

Dei Omnia Gracia.

"Omnia relinquit servare rem publicam."

Stick to your guitar GUI-TAR-MAN, you cheap plucker.

As for jumping Jack trash. Hit the road Jack, don't you come back no more, no more, no more, no more, hit the road Jack, don't you come back no more.

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!