Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Civilized Debate Civilized Debate
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

Playgrounds, fearing lawsuits, ban running:-

(!)

Member with 7,809 posts.

20-Jul-2005, 02:04 PM #1
Playgrounds, fearing lawsuits, ban running:-
I was told that certain municipalities in Jersey were going to adopt similiar policies so it could be coming to a playground in your town as well.

Schools in one Florida county are banning running on their playgrounds.

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that Broward County's no running signs are part of a national trend to remove equipment considered dangerous from playgrounds. The main motivator appears to be fear of injuries and the resulting lawsuits and the result is no swings, teeter-totters and merry-go-rounds or anything else with moving parts.

Even sandboxes are considered dangerous because animals can use them as bathrooms, Safety Director Jerry Graziose told the newspaper. And the homeless can use large crawl tubes for shelter.

We could do a lot more if we didn't have to watch our back every single second, Graziose said. We sometimes get a letter from the attorney before we even get an accident report from the school.
(UPI)
Account Disabled with 44,931 posts.

20-Jul-2005, 02:09 PM #2
sigh.....I have good memories of playing on a jungle jim in elementary school.....and now running is banned.....
Member with 7,809 posts.

20-Jul-2005, 02:11 PM #3
I always thought scrapes, bruises and maybe a broken bone were part of growing up?

BTW-What percentage of America's youth is overweight? I have a feeling its not going to improve.
Member with 27,087 posts.

Experience: The Alpha and Omega
20-Jul-2005, 02:12 PM #4
OMG! Don't these people realize...THEY SURVIVED THEIR CHILDHOOD!

Where we played on rusty teeter totters with splintery wood seats and all kind of other things that "could" injure us. Heck, sometimes they did...but whoop-dee-freaking-doo. Injuries are part of life. I broke an arm playing floor hockey, and again on a trampoline ... that never stopped me from playing hockey or jumping on trampolines! And it wouldn't stop me from allowing my kids (when I have them) from doing those things. And I certainly wouldn't sue over it. The ONLY way I'd consider filing a lawsuit is if the reason for the injury was neglected care of the equipment that caused the injury.

Gibble: Now you know what it's like to be Canadian.
Member with 7,809 posts.

20-Jul-2005, 02:15 PM #5
Can't really blame the schools though, its those that will sue and they are out there.
Personally if my kid got hurt on a playground i wouldn't be looking up a lawyer, sadly though there are those that would and the schools realize this.
Computer Specs
Member with 13,404 posts.

Experience: Not enough space.........
20-Jul-2005, 02:17 PM #6
Oh great i suppose nose picking is next
Senior Member with 545 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Jul-2005, 02:18 PM #7
how does one actually BAN running?

another crazy idea.

20-Jul-2005, 02:18 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by deh
I always thought scrapes, bruises and maybe a broken bone were part of growing up?

BTW-What percentage of America's youth is overweight? I have a feeling its not going to improve.
I can't imagine not running as a kid...I ran everywhere I went. Heck, I still run up and down stairs, I can't bring myself to just "walk". Which brings me to a peeve of mine. People who use the elevator to go up a single flight Sweet Jebus...it's not a wonder you're overweight!!!

How do you play tag, or hide and seek without running? What position is little Billy going to play when he's playing football...the walking back???

ARGH! Really...these people need to think back to their childhood and remember a time playing where they only walked...I'm trying right now...I can't do it. The only time I walked as a kid, was in the halls. I ran around the house (I'm sure my mom loved cleaning the fingerprints of the corners of the walls, as that's how you turned on linoleum with sock feet ). I ran to my friends (and he lived next door). I ran EVERYWHERE!!!
Computer Specs
Member with 13,404 posts.

Experience: Not enough space.........
20-Jul-2005, 02:22 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibble
OMG! Don't these people realize...THEY SURVIVED THEIR CHILDHOOD!

Where we played on rusty teeter totters with splintery wood seats and all kind of other things that "could" injure us. Heck, sometimes they did...but whoop-dee-freaking-doo. Injuries are part of life. I broke an arm playing floor hockey, and again on a trampoline ... that never stopped me from playing hockey or jumping on trampolines! And it wouldn't stop me from allowing my kids (when I have them) from doing those things. And I certainly wouldn't sue over it. The ONLY way I'd consider filing a lawsuit is if the reason for the injury was neglected care of the equipment that caused the injury.
Yes I hate to get huffy but where was all this concern for safety when i was a child? I got told to "go play on the freeway" "here go run around the house with these scissors", I cant believe I lived through those hellish times.
more flashbacks, remeber no seatbelts, remember both your parents chain smoking in the front seat of the car with the windows up?
MB = motherboard, NIC = network interface card
OS = operating system, gfx = graphics
GPU = graphics processor, d/l = download, ob = on board
HDD = hard disk drive, FDD = floppy disk drive
HSF = heat sink w/ fan, FSB = front side bus
DM = device manager, KB = Keyboard
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 18,594 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Jul-2005, 03:57 PM #10
This has given me incentive to finally sue Schwin for all the pain and suffering I experienced as a child when my crotch crashed down on the cross bar of my bicycle, ramming my testicles into my throat displacing my tonsils.
Member with 4,952 posts.

Experience: Help! It's taking over my brain!
20-Jul-2005, 03:58 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino
This has given me incentive to finally sue Schwin for all the pain and suffering I experienced as a child when my crotch crashed down on the cross bar of my bicycle, ramming my testicles into my throat displacing my tonsils.
Account Disabled with 44,931 posts.

20-Jul-2005, 04:04 PM #12
I remember being being young and short enough to stand up, behind the front seats of my Dad's Hudson and watch where he drove.
Today, that would get a family a quick trip to a court appearence and probably children's services

sigh....those were the good days.......
Member with 3,065 posts.

Experience: Desktop Themer
20-Jul-2005, 04:09 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by b750
Oh great i suppose nose picking is next
Hey I didn't tell anybody I did that

Lol Gibble, I use the elevator to go up one story (my mom is afraid something will happen to me if I take the stairs ) and I have been accused of walking down the halls way too fast

But running is fun for "jebus's" sake!!!!! Just not running on a track, jogging, etc (I'm too much of a couch potato )

20-Jul-2005, 04:32 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryVI
Hey I didn't tell anybody I did that

Lol Gibble, I use the elevator to go up one story (my mom is afraid something will happen to me if I take the stairs ) and I have been accused of walking down the halls way too fast

But running is fun for "jebus's" sake!!!!! Just not running on a track, jogging, etc (I'm too much of a couch potato )
Heck, I'll run/jog when my friends bike...mostly because I don't own a bike but still, despite sitting at a desk all day, I'm in great shape because in my spare time I keep busy. I play hockey, bowl (hehe not that it helps ), golf, play football, and rollerblade when I get the chance...anything to keep active.
Member with 3,065 posts.

Experience: Desktop Themer
20-Jul-2005, 04:32 PM #15
I'm the opposite
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!