Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Civilized Debate Civilized Debate
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

Evolution vs. Creation (#3)

(!)

Member with 20,583 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 08:53 AM #2506
Hi valis,

I googled "assisted evolution" and most of what was found was in optimization theory, nothing with a biological slant about it in evolution theory ala Darwin.

Ergo, it seems there is no theory of assisted evolution in a biological sense.

-- Tom
Account Disabled with 55,854 posts.

Experience: Need no stinking badges
30-Oct-2006, 04:38 PM #2507
Attached Thumbnails
Evolution vs. Creation (#3)-untitled-1.jpg  
Member with 22,807 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 04:39 PM #2508
One of the most illogical cartoons I have ever read. Although, for a right wing comic it doesn't look as stupid as most.
Member with 383 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 04:57 PM #2509
Quote:
Originally Posted by linskyjack
for a right wing comic it doesn't look as stupid as most.
Yeah, better than the usual pretty colours and super-size pictures.
Account Disabled with 55,854 posts.

Experience: Need no stinking badges
30-Oct-2006, 04:58 PM #2510
It's called satire, Jack.
Member with 22,807 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 05:09 PM #2511
Satire posits an understanding of what you are satirizing. He doesn't.
Moderator with 63,365 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 05:23 PM #2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuseclat79
Hi valis,

I googled "assisted evolution" and most of what was found was in optimization theory, nothing with a biological slant about it in evolution theory ala Darwin.

Ergo, it seems there is no theory of assisted evolution in a biological sense.

-- Tom
crap. I didn't google squat, was just free thinking. Oh well, another theory dead on the sword of Googlecles.
Account Disabled with 44,931 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 05:31 PM #2513
The character's name 'Captain Zero' is rather fitting.......

Good one LAN

I hope you never get introduced to Chick. We'll all suffer

30-Oct-2006, 06:25 PM #2514
didn't know kc got himself banned.......how about that....

30-Oct-2006, 10:22 PM #2515
link

As modern humans spread across Europe tens of thousands of years ago, they may have interbred with Neanderthals, creating hybrids, according to a new study of ancient human bones from Romania.
ADVERTISEMENT

Anthropologists have long wondered what happened when the two species met as modern humans spread from Africa into Neanderthal territory in Eurasia: did the populations interbreed or did modern humans simply replace their cousins?

The specimens examined and dated for the first time in this study show that “at least in Europe, the populations blended,” said study author Erik Trinkaus of Washington University.

The study compared the fragments, including a skull [image] and jaw [image], to bones of Neanderthals, early modern humans in Africa before they spread, and in Europe afterward. Trinkaus said that he and his colleagues found certain features that could have only come from Neanderthals, because early modern humans lost them before they spread from Africa.

They found a swelling at the back of skull, called an occipital bun, which is the result of differential brain growth and is commonly found in Neanderthal skulls. Also, the arrangement of muscle attachment at the back of the jaw was a trait of Neanderthals.

This evidence of interbreeding shows that “[the two groups] saw each other as socially appropriate mates,” Trinkaus said.

Early modern humans and Neanderthals were two branches of the human family tree that differed primarily in the anatomical pattern, with humans eventually becoming the dominate pattern. Though humans and Neanderthals were different species, Trinkaus points out that most closely related species that haven not been separated for long amounts of time can still breed and produce fertile offspring.

It is possible that people with European ancestry could also have Neanderthal ancestry, according to Trinkaus, though how much is uncertain.

Prior to this study, the remains were largely forgotten because “there was serious doubt as to their age,” Trinkaus said. When the remains were discovered in a Romanian cave in the early 1950s, prior to carbon dating, they were not embedded in a rock layer that might indicate their age. Because the bones essentially looked like those of an early modern human, they received little attention inside Romania and were unknown outside the country.

Some scientists dispute that there was any overlap between the two species, but Trinkaus dismisses these claims. “There was an overlap,” Trinkaus said, though anthropologists are unsure as to how long the two species co-existed.

According to Trinkaus, anthropologists have “securely dated” modern humans in Romania at 35,000 years ago and Neanderthals in Spain at 30,000 years ago.

“We don’t have a site where we have a human and a Neanderthal buried next to each other,” Trinkaus said. “I’m still waiting for that.”

"Ask Bill why the string in function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that". - Gary Kildall
Computer Specs
Member with 6,650 posts.

Experience: Second socks retriever
31-Oct-2006, 05:41 AM #2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis
didn't know kc got himself banned.......how about that....
Hi valis,

It seems that my new thread has hit a crucial nerve at kc. And unfortunately, it's Galium who got the main blow of kc's cantankerous temper. I didn't expect kc jumping out of his hinges on that thread.

31-Oct-2006, 09:39 AM #2517
the unbeliever thread....first time I saw that, I thought it was about a series of books about Thomas Covenant.....fantasy books, he was called the Unbeliever in them....

oh well, good riddance to bad rubbish, as they say.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,650 posts.

31-Oct-2006, 10:00 AM #2518
Quote:
the unbeliever thread....first time I saw that, I thought it was about a series of books about Thomas Covenant.....fantasy books, he was called the Unbeliever in them....
I've already seen many books of Stephen Donaldson on the shelves of my favourite library, I was not tempted as it makes a lot of books for a saga, implicitly a lot of times to swallow them.
I'm avoiding sagas in literature because I've to wait a bit too long between two books; the last saga I've read is Tad Williams' Otherland (4 books) and I had to wait nearly 3 years for the last book.

Quote:
oh well, good riddance to bad rubbish, as they say.
I wonder sometimes if he were a blogger on hate sites. BTW, no regret he was fired.

31-Oct-2006, 10:19 AM #2519
the first three books in the series were fantastic, by far and away my favorite fantasy series of all time. the next two series sucked royally. So if you get into that fantastical mood, I would definitely recommend the first 3 books.

As for kidc, I doubt he's a blogger on hate sites. Pretty sure he's a teenager with some acne and zero social skills, so he takes it out here. Again, good riddance.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,650 posts.

31-Oct-2006, 10:23 AM #2520
Quote:
the first three books in the series were fantastic, by far and away my favorite fantasy series of all time. the next two series sucked royally. So if you get into that fantastical mood, I would definitely recommend the first 3 books....
Thanks for the advice, valis !
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!