Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Civilized Debate Civilized Debate
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

Miracles, and a loving God

(!)

Member with 19,134 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Jun-2006, 07:42 AM #151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepiasSoul
The reason I called god the unknown is simply because the bible tells tales but does not provide evidence, which is to me, what defines the known.
And what about Christ? And what about the book itself...written over a period of 1500 years buy 40 different writers from all walks of life, some separated by thousands of miles., yet all writing in harmony with each other and saying the same thing about God. The bible itself is a pretty amazing book if you just look at how it came to be!

Quote:
I should have said the theology of the one "God" and why did it dissapear, even though these people who were close and touched by god existed?
In a word: sin. But i've already touched on this once in another post(I dont remember if it was to you or Red) so there's no need to elaborate again.

Quote:
Is it just me or are we seemingly straying from the existance of miracles and onto the existance and practices of god? I'm not complaining though, a good debate is always fun.
Yes, these kinds of threads tend to wander a lot..they have to because usually God's very nature is called into question so different things have to be discussed in hopes of seeing a bigger picture. Thats how I see it anyways.

Thanks for the discussion, Sepia. It's been very nice talking to you (and Red, and Ciber, WarC and everyone else who has contributed).

01-Jun-2006, 08:25 AM #152
Quote:
Originally Posted by redivivus
The pastor at the church i attend just attributes this to "God's plan" and nobody seems to doubt it except me.
I have to think that if you sat down with him that he would be willing to try to explain it further to your satisfaction.

Quote:
For example, a few months ago a really active member of our church died in a motorcycle accident. It was sad and all, but there was really no explanation for it other than 'she has gone to a better place' and that it was 'part of God's plan.' Is death a good thing then?
Physical death is inevitable. Let me ask ya...do you feel that the only understandable way to die is through old age? And if someone dies in their old age does it then have to be in their sleep so there is no pain or fear involved? I mean, how far do you need to go to accept that death is a part of life? Is death a good thing, you ask? It is for me. If I die tomorrow, i'll be pretty happy about it, lol. That means I get to see my Maker's face. Now i'm not saying that I want to leave before I see my children grown and with children of their own...i'm just saying that IF it did happen tomorrow, i'm ok with it. There is incredible joy in worshipping God once you've realized Who He is and what He has done for mankind. So how can I fear death when I anticipate that I will get to be with Him afterwards?

Quote:
Look at the history of any older Christian. They will have a whole resume of good 'purposes' that they have completed. After any one of these they could be cut off, but they werent, and they continued to follow the religion and do good things. You can be pretty much guaranteed that if the Christian didnt die they would continue to do good on earth - how, then, is their purpose complete? (note, this might be a deviation from topic)
Yes, I believe that everything has a purpose. I also believe that there is no way to fully understand why everything in life happens. But other times, it is easy to see what a person's purpose is. Just look at the thief on the cross. He lived but for a short time after Christ saved him. His purpose? It was to show that we are saved by grace and that you dont have to "do" anytihng to earn your salvation. You only have to believe the gospel of Christ. His example gives hope to many who have been falsely taught that they must perform all of the sacraments, do a certian number of good works, etc..to earn their salvation. The thief certainly is evidence to the contrary, isnt he?

Quote:
Just wondering what exactly adds up? If im correct...

- Equal proportion of 'miracles' to Christians and non-Christians.
- Equal proportion of deaths to Christians and non-Christians.
- Equal proportion of pretty much everything between Christians and non-Christians.
- Lack of any evidence that missionaries or highly involved chuch members are favored in any way, or have a better chance of suriviving or being healthy.
- Good things in the world happen to both good and bad people.
- Bad things in the world happen to both good and bad people.
- Religious satisfaction comes from the [illusion?] of your existance having some meaning.
- Non-religious normal feeling comes from no hope beyond death.
- God has not been revealled through large-scale miracles (easy to detect) that are supposedly capable by the Bible for 2000 years.

This is an example of the logical observations one can make IMO. Is this what adds up to your conclusion that their is a God, and how so? I know there are a few pro-Christianity points that i am neglecting to post.
I dont have the time to address everything in this quote. It wouls take us into a whole new direction again, involving the bible's inerrancy and whatnot. I dont think I have the energy for it on top of everything else here, lol.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,363 posts.

Experience: down to earth person
01-Jun-2006, 08:40 AM #153
Vally, I really look forward to reading your posts here.

01-Jun-2006, 08:43 AM #154
Thank you, Bush Lady! I really appreciate you saying so.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,363 posts.

Experience: down to earth person
01-Jun-2006, 08:44 AM #155
Quote:
Originally Posted by valley
It takes two to fight and two to get along
Computer Specs
Member with 6,650 posts.

Experience: Second socks retriever
01-Jun-2006, 09:02 AM #156
Quote:
Woman Hit By Lightning While Praying
POSTED: 2:52 pm EDT May 30, 2006

DAPHNE, Ala. -- Worried about the safety of her family during a stormy Memorial Day trip to the beach, Clara Jean Brown stood in her kitchen and prayed for their safe return as a strong thunderstorm rumbled through Baldwin County, Alabama.

But while she prayed, lightning suddenly exploded, blowing through the linoleum and leaving a blackened area on the concrete. Brown wound up on the floor, dazed and disoriented by the blast but otherwise uninjured.

She said 'Amen' and the room was engulfed in a huge ball of fire. The 65-year-old Brown said she is blessed to be alive.
Link : http://www.wsbtv.com/news/9293414/detail.html

Sometimes, the Lord has his own way to answer to the prayers !

01-Jun-2006, 09:12 AM #157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicon
Link : http://www.wsbtv.com/news/9293414/detail.html

Sometimes, the Lord has his own way to answer to the prayers !
I guess so!

This is so funny to me because my computer has been hit by lightening twice since I came to TSG. Of course a few members pointed out that God might be trying to tell me something! Maybe they're right! hehehe...we had a thunderstorm in the night...I got up at 2am to unplug my 'puter. I was thinking about going through the hassle of filling out the paperwork for my homeowners insurance all over again.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,650 posts.

Experience: Second socks retriever
01-Jun-2006, 09:30 AM #158
Quote:
Originally Posted by valley
I guess so!

This is so funny to me because my computer has been hit by lightening twice since I came to TSG. Of course a few members pointed out that God might be trying to tell me something! Maybe they're right! hehehe...we had a thunderstorm in the night...I got up at 2am to unplug my 'puter. I was thinking about going through the hassle of filling out the paperwork for my homeowners insurance all over again.
He should subscribe as a new member of TSG and then PM you to tell you.
Beware there's a French proverb that tells literally 'Never 2 without 3'. You're right to look for your insurance documents if your computer is to be hit a third time !

01-Jun-2006, 09:56 AM #159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicon
He should subscribe as a new member of TSG and then PM you to tell you.
wouldnt that be nice?

Quote:
Beware there's a French proverb that tells literally 'Never 2 without 3'. You're right to look for your insurance documents if your computer is to be hit a third time !
what are the odds of it actully happening a third time to the same person do you think?!
Computer Specs
Member with 267 posts.

Experience: Depends on subject area i guess
01-Jun-2006, 11:09 AM #160
I've never lost anything due to electricity... except a few braincells because my mom doesn't know what a breaker is lol.

I don't know about being able to call the bible a true account. Superstition(sp?) effects everyone and their point of view on life. Just because something is written in harmony by many authors, doesn't necessarily make it true, and you also don't know how it has been altered by each author to make the accounts fit seemlessly. It would be ignorant to just assume that each segment has been left in it entirity and never changed, simply because there are so many different versions of the bible. This means is has been edited. But again, it comes down to faith I guess, and my faith lies in the ability to prove. Until someone can sufficiently prove the God to me, the bible will just remain an interesting tale on the guidlines we should follow in how we treat each other. It is a very good book though, I will say that.

01-Jun-2006, 11:20 AM #161
Quote:
I've never lost anything due to electricity... except a few braincells because my mom doesn't know what a breaker is lol.
How old are you anyways, if you dont mind me asking? I thought you were an adult by the way you speak.
Computer Specs
Member with 267 posts.

01-Jun-2006, 11:25 AM #162
I'm 19, turning 20 in August.
Senior Member with 1,580 posts.

01-Jun-2006, 11:47 AM #163
Quote:
If the entire worlds populus died today, that would put roughly 3.84 BILLION people in hell (thats based on the last estimate of roughly 6 billion as a world populus) not counting the many unbaptised children or those that have not become old enough to accept christ.
I'm not sure how big or small Hell is, dont think anyone else knows either ?
But sure theres plenty of room.
Also a slighly differant point.

As described to me. A good definition of Hell is an abcense of GOD !

Also there are theories about multiple universe's, so the universe is a pretty big damn place on its own, in multiple universes there could be multiple Hells...
Computer Specs
Member with 267 posts.

01-Jun-2006, 11:52 AM #164
I wasn't going for the size of hell, but more for the number of people he would be sending there. Also, since you are hitting on theories, there is anouther one that earth is hell and that we are here being punished. Thats the one my EET professor subscribes to, he has gone on a long tangent about it, and scarily enough it kinda makes sense. But if it truly is the case, then we are already boned lol.

Sepias

01-Jun-2006, 12:06 PM #165
Quote:
I'm 19, turning 20 in August.
Thanks. I talked to a teen the other day who I thought was an adult and after a lot was said, found out that he was 14. It was upsetting due to the nature of the topic. So when you mentioned your mom, it kinda made me wonder, is all.

LOL, I think the reason why I cant always tell a teenager from an adult is because many of the adults here act like teens themselves sometimes.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!