Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Civilized Debate Civilized Debate
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

North Korea Nuke Test: Outcome Poll

(!)

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome of the North Korea nucular tests?
War - Declared on North Korea 2 8.33%
War - Started by North Korea 2 8.33%
Just more UN sanctions 15 62.50%
Nothing 7 29.17%
Other - Please State Below 1 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Computer Specs
Member with 1,254 posts.

Experience: Skilled: Know all i know and little else
09-Oct-2006, 12:39 PM #1
Exclamation North Korea Nuke Test: Outcome Poll
What do you think the outcome will be?

Disscuss Here:
http://forums.techguy.org/civilized-...g-nuclear.html

Or here:
Computer Specs
Member with 6,650 posts.

Experience: Second socks retriever
09-Oct-2006, 02:34 PM #2
I voted more UN sanctions. It's all it can be done for the moment.
Member with 22,806 posts.

09-Oct-2006, 08:05 PM #3
Yes, UN Sanctions are effective--particularly when China ignores them. We definately need more. Send in John Bolton.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,650 posts.

Experience: Second socks retriever
10-Oct-2006, 01:27 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by linskyjack
Yes, UN Sanctions are effective--particularly when China ignores them. We definately need more. Send in John Bolton.
Send in Jimmy Carter, he is a 'peace maker' according to his Nobel prize.
Member with 3,428 posts.

Experience: I'd Like to say Einstein but I'm not....
10-Oct-2006, 05:05 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by linskyjack
Sadly I think sanctions are the best we can hope for. Not even Dubya is stupid enough to invade another counrty while already embroiled in two others. Plus it's hard to see what an invasion would accomplish sure it might mean the world is rid of Kim Jong-il, which obviously won't be a bad thing but the US is left with another country to occupy indefinately. That said, I do believe the people of North Korea would be more likely to welcome "liberation" than the Iraqis ever were.

However an invasion by the US is extremely unlikely, for the simple reason, there is nothing in North Korea the US wants, no oil, no gas and precious little else. We won't see the invasion of NK without US support as South Korea and Japan would be scared poopless of annoying China too much.

Sanctions are the best we're gonna get. Which is pretty useless, as NK has pretty much no economy to speak of, so economic sanctions are gonna do little except deprive the population of yet more basic supplies and Kim Jong-il of the US movies he loves so much, and they can be popped into a diplomatic bag anyway!
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 18,544 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Oct-2006, 07:21 AM #6
ChrisJones , you pretty much nailed this situation. There aren't many options left other than sanctions, which will prove futile. Too bad the US/Britain pissed off so much capitol on the useless Iraq war. However, never, ever, 'misunderestimate' the stupidity of Dubya.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,254 posts.

Experience: Skilled: Know all i know and little else
10-Oct-2006, 11:35 AM #7
China holds the key to all this. They are the only ones with any real political power over NK
Senior Member with 781 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 04:56 PM #8
I don't anything will happen, what was the last country to carry nuclear tests? India? Now they are being funded and supported by the US. So sooner or later america would say to NK to come over have a beer and join the gang.
Member with 9,600 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 06:02 PM #9
NK is only a real nuclear threat if supported by China --at least for many years into future.
If we have China's co-operation , and NK goes wild --we can make them disappear, in a instant. Horrible thought , but a fact. Delivery of tactical nukes are U.S. strong point insuring relative safety of nieghbors.
What we are talking about here is dealing with a real military threat or war, and when relations with China go sour {years down road} they may be just that.
The biggest threat NK poses in short term is exporting a weapon or tech. My take on things anyway. >f
Senior Member with 1,693 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 08:14 PM #10
It seems like a schoolyard bully has suddenly come across a child that is holding a baseball bat
Computer Specs
Moderator - Gone but never forgotten with 47,973 posts.

Experience: Getting somewhere I hope
10-Oct-2006, 08:15 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by barfly
It seems like a schoolyard bully has suddenly come across a child that is holding a baseball bat

Hehe, good to see you again BF!
Senior Member with 1,693 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 08:20 PM #12
Hows it going Basset?

Nice to see that the avatar is still the same
Senior Member with 629 posts.

Experience: Mind-Taker
10-Oct-2006, 08:52 PM #13
I put other.

The "other" outcome is China getting out the poke-stick and poking North Korea back to the 6-party talks, or the US agreeing to bi-lateral talks (possible, but not probable).

I am flabbergasted at how P.O.'d China is seeming at their usual buddy-buddy North Korea. Frankly, it might be the spin of American media, but it seems like all of SE Asia is scared out of their wits at the fact of a nuclear North Korea. The Japanese legislative body talking about starting up a Japanese nuclear weapons program (Japan has nuclear capability, but only uses it for electricity generation, powering giant robots, etc.), China diplomatically freaking out, it's quite amazing.

China and NK have been buddy-buddy for almost ever. China's recent reprimand is even that much more shocking when you take into account that usually China plays the big, loud, weight-lifting protective brother to North Korea's weaker, snot-nosed yet impudent little brother.
Member with 3,277 posts.

Experience: Beginner
10-Oct-2006, 11:20 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wateva
I don't anything will happen, what was the last country to carry nuclear tests? India? Now they are being funded and supported by the US. So sooner or later america would say to NK to come over have a beer and join the gang.
Not until their nutcase leader dies, or a democrat becomes President.
Member with 3,277 posts.

Experience: Beginner
10-Oct-2006, 11:24 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by holy_saiyan1
II am flabbergasted at how P.O.'d China is seeming at their usual buddy-buddy North Korea. Frankly, it might be the spin of American media, but it seems like all of SE Asia is scared out of their wits at the fact of a nuclear North Korea. The Japanese legislative body talking about starting up a Japanese nuclear weapons program (Japan has nuclear capability, but only uses it for electricity generation, powering giant robots, etc.), China diplomatically freaking out, it's quite amazing.
China has its own problems. Its government may soon be facing protests by its own people if they get the courage to do so. NK can just as easily send nukes to China as they can to Japan, they should be worried. NK's leader is not exactly in his right mind.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!