Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Civilized Debate Civilized Debate
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

ok..you're a druggy since you want pain killers

(!)

Member with 33,764 posts.

Experience: I thimk therefore I yam
16-Nov-2006, 04:28 PM #1
Angry ok..you're a druggy since you want pain killers
I found this very wierd

I hurt my back fairly bad and ended up in emergency care to get something for pain, til I could see my chiropractor. I made the mistake of asking for something for my pain. The Doc basically said that I must be a druggy wanting pills since I came in there and not to my primary care physician....I ended up with tylenol, which didn't work very well. Last night many chiropractic patients got together for dinner and we talked about that...quite a few people said that they were left feeling the same way after leaving the ER. One gal said that she worked at a local hospital in the ER...and if someone would come in for pain in the back - teeth - or extreme headache were immedietely looked at as druggies, especially since they used the ER and not their regular doctor. It sure made me feel rather uncomfortable after hearing the doctor tell me that I may be a druggy and that I will get no real pain killers. It's a real shame that there are so many druggies here that do that...that good people with no drug habit...cannot get proper meds for pain.
Account Disabled with 27,340 posts.

Experience: Depends on the definition
16-Nov-2006, 04:35 PM #2
It is absurd at how the doctors think they can play god with regard to dispensing pain meds. If one is in pain they should get the relief. Even if it is only enough to get by for a day or two until one can see the primary care dr. Might be avoided if there was a system which made all pharmacies send in to a central database the meds they are dispensing. Then people could not go from doc to doc and pharmacy to pharmacy. I doubt there is anything like that but not sure since I dont play any games like that

16-Nov-2006, 04:37 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacor
It is absurd at how the doctors think they can play god with regard to dispensing pain meds. If one is in pain they should get the relief. Even if it is only enough to get by for a day or two until one can see the primary care dr. Might be avoided if there was a system which made all pharmacies send in to a central database the meds they are dispensing. Then people could not go from doc to doc and pharmacy to pharmacy. I doubt there is anything like that but not sure since I dont play any games like that

yahhh...that's just it...I guess hard core druggies just go from doctor to doctor to keep their drugs flowing in.....they do need a way of tracking all prescriptions
Member with 27,087 posts.

Experience: The Alpha and Omega
16-Nov-2006, 04:41 PM #4
This is just another one of Fishes drug induced ramblings
Computer Specs
Member with 2,544 posts.

Experience: More than some. Less than others
16-Nov-2006, 04:44 PM #5
I take 2 a day every day.......does that mean I'm a druggy??
Computer Specs
Member with 9,521 posts.

Experience: Beginner
16-Nov-2006, 04:48 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by izme
I ended up with tylenol,
I am not an MD but I would suggest Advil (which is basically Ibuprofen witch is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug... (Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibuprofen) whereas Tylenol is mainly an analgesic.

Also some mild stretching exercises...

Good luck...

16-Nov-2006, 04:52 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibble
This is just another one of Fishes drug induced ramblings

yahh mannnnnnnn...I'm strung out on tylenol and it' time to go bowling and raise some hell
Senior Member with 2,208 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Nov-2006, 04:52 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacor
That would be an incredible invasion of privacy. Your medical records are your own business and no one else's.

16-Nov-2006, 04:53 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamou
I am not an MD but I would suggest Advil (which is basically Ibuprofen witch is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug... (Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibuprofen) whereas Tylenol is mainly an analgesic.

Also some mild stretching exercises...

Good luck...

Thanks... I have since been fixed, and I usually go the homeopathic route anyway

16-Nov-2006, 04:55 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295
That would be an incredible invasion of privacy. Your medical records are your own business and no one else's.

herein lies the problem and the avenue for the pill poppers....perhaps the Hippocratic oath has been replaced by a drug manual
Moderator with 63,584 posts.

16-Nov-2006, 04:59 PM #11
I hurt my back fairly bad when about 6 years ago, and I was actually ticked that they kept giving me valium, or vicodan, or whatever it was, as it was masking the problem (keeping me stoned, therefore not feeling the pain) as opposed to actually *fixing* the problem.

Turned out that it was my fault anyhow, as the solution was to relax and not move as much as possible, and I was golfing, going to work, etc. Stupid me.

"Ask Bill why the string in function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that". - Gary Kildall

16-Nov-2006, 05:05 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis
I hurt my back fairly bad when about 6 years ago, and I was actually ticked that they kept giving me valium, or vicodan, or whatever it was, as it was masking the problem (keeping me stoned, therefore not feeling the pain) as opposed to actually *fixing* the problem.

Turned out that it was my fault anyhow, as the solution was to relax and not move as much as possible, and I was golfing, going to work, etc. Stupid me.

I just wanted some decent pain killer till I could get to my doc...I didn't want to use drugs for longer than a few days. Many primary care docs give out drugs of all kinds freely and in excess to mask ailments of their patients...it's the easiest and quickest route. I know many people...mainly elderly that have what amounts to a prescription lab in their bathrooms. But if someone goes in with severe pain to a ER or clinic...it has now changed and some are seemingly found guilty of being a druggy just by mere coincidental needing of painkillers.

Last edited by izme; 16-Nov-2006 at 05:16 PM..

16-Nov-2006, 05:22 PM #13
A few other people there at the dinner were left with the same impression when they visited the ER with minor ailments, so I wondered...is this the norm? might want to get some other peoples experiences on this
wacor has a Photo Album
Account Disabled with 27,340 posts.

Experience: Depends on the definition
16-Nov-2006, 06:36 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295
I knew somebody would say that. I understand but if you use this logic then why need a prescription in the first place.

Prescriptions are there to protect us against ourselves I would think. So how is it any worse to mandate there be a database of what you take? The pharmacy itself has their own database. You think you could get two doctors to give you oxycontin and the pharmacy would fill it out?
Computer Specs
Member with 5,531 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Nov-2006, 07:08 PM #15
It sounds fruity, but Midol works great for back pain.

When I was playing football in highschool I had a hell of a time with my left and right quadratus lumborums, triangular muscles on the small of your back. I would routinely sprain them...First the one side would go, then when I finally recovered the other side would go out during practice.

I went to the doctor about it and he told me to pick up some Midol. I did that, and also started doing some stretches that worked the back thighs, which the sports trainer told me was not getting stretched out enough...Causing my lower back muscles to over-compensate for my tight hamstrings...

Midol did the trick and took the pain away, the stretches kept it from coming back.

I didn't grow bewbies, either.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!