Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Civilized Debate Civilized Debate
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

Corruption Scorecard

(!)

Member with 22,807 posts.

23-Mar-2007, 08:44 AM #1
Corruption Scorecard
Yet another corrupt Bush administration official bites the dust. I will continue to post these stories as these roaches come out from under the floor boards;

Ex-deputy to plead guilty in lobbyist case

By JOHN HEILPRIN, Associated Press Writer 43 minutes ago

Former Deputy Interior Secretary Steven Griles will plead guilty to one count of obstruction of justice in the Jack Abramoff corruption investigation, The Associated Press has learned.

Griles, an oil and gas lobbyist who became an architect of President Bush's energy policies while at the Interior Department between July 2001 and July 2005, is the highest ranking Bush administration official implicated in the Washington lobbying scandal.

The former No. 2 official at the Interior Department has agreed to a felony plea admitting that he lied five times to the Senate Indian Affairs Committee and its investigators about his relationship with Abramoff, people involved in the case told the AP.
Member with 18,604 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Mar-2007, 10:00 AM #2
I fear this is going to be a really long thread, continuing long after this administration is history in 669 days.
Member with 22,807 posts.

23-Mar-2007, 10:09 AM #3
You are right. Loads of good stuff should come out after the criminals have left Washington and the historians have a go at it.
Member with 7,218 posts.

02-May-2007, 09:00 AM #4
Quote:
A federal appeals court in Washington ruled Tuesday that Representative Jim McDermott, Democrat of Washington, must pay damages to another congressman for giving reporters a tape of an illegally intercepted telephone call.

The case was brought by Representative John A. Boehner of Ohio, now the House Republican leader. It arose from a conference call in 1996 in which Newt Gingrich, who was then speaker of the House, discussed how to deal with a finding against him by the House ethics committee. Mr. Boehner participated by cellphone.

A Florida couple, Alice and John Martin, recorded the call using a radio scanner. They delivered the tape to Mr. McDermott, then the ranking Democrat on the ethics committee, who passed it along to The New York Times and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The Martins pleaded guilty to intercepting the call and were fined $500 each for violating the federal wiretapping law.

That law also forbids the dissemination of information obtained through illegal interception. But a 2001 decision of the United States Supreme Court, Bartnicki v. Vopper, ruled that the part of the law concerning disclosure violates the First Amendment, at least when the person doing the disclosing was not involved in the eavesdropping and the information was of public importance

Court Says Congressman Must Pay Damages
Senior Member with 730 posts.

02-May-2007, 09:38 AM #5
... should be interesting to watch... although, a shame.

I have a question; do those of you who used to support this government in your country feel embarrassed that you did... or not even that... just some sort of remorse that you were blind sighted by it... like regret?

The reason I ask that, is because of the extreme patriotism in your country... to me I would see it as being knocked off the highorse. A humiliation of sorts.
ekim68   (Mike) ekim68 is offline   ekim68 has a birthday soon!
Member with 45,161 posts.

02-May-2007, 10:03 AM #6
This could be a long thread with this admin.

Interior Official Steps Down Over Rules Violation

WASHINGTON, May 1 ó A deputy assistant secretary at the Interior Department resigned Monday, a month after the departmentís inspector general issued a stinging report that said she violated federal rules by giving industry lobbyists internal agency documents and rode roughshod over agency scientists.

The resignation came about a week before a House committee was set to hold hearings on political interference with biologists, and the same day that Senator Ron Wyden, Democrat of Oregon, wrote Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne demanding that he take action to address the concerns about the official, Julie A. MacDonald, who was overseeing the Fish and Wildlife Service.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/02/wa...90ymxjoKbVO+sw
Senior Member with 4,901 posts.

Experience: Embryonic Stage
02-May-2007, 10:39 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiskycoo

I have a question; do those of you who used to support this government in your country feel embarrassed that you did... or not even that... just some sort of remorse that you were blind sighted by it... like regret?

The reason I ask that, is because of the extreme patriotism in your country... to me I would see it as being knocked off the highorse. A humiliation of sorts.
Good post Wisky and one I wish to have an answer to. I for one have admitted my recent u-turn (along with thousands of other UK citizens) with the British government. Correction, leader. I havn't witnessed the same with the US membership here

Oldie

Last edited by oldie; 02-May-2007 at 01:43 PM..

02-May-2007, 10:58 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldie
Good post Wisky and one I wish to have an answer to. I for one have admitted my recent u-turn (along with thousands of other UK citizens) with the British government. Correction, leader. I have haven't witnessed the same with the US membership here

Oldie
Yes, exactly...

Thank you, btw.
Computer Specs
Member with 109,917 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-May-2007, 02:08 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiskycoo

It will be interesting to see is you get a response.

I don't feel humiliated, I feel let down by this administration. I don't vote Republican, but I didn't expect so much corruption from the party that presented itself as the "holy" party! And this war angers me no end. I am patriotic, but do not blindly follow anyone.

02-May-2007, 02:15 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochee
It will be interesting to see is you get a response.
I was thinking the same when I posted it.

Quote:
I don't feel humiliated, I feel let down by this administration. I don't vote Republican, but I didn't expect so much corruption from the party that presented itself as the "holy" party! And this war angers me no end. I am patriotic, but do not blindly follow anyone.
Yes... there you go thats a better choice of words for it... "let down".
ekim68   (Mike) ekim68 is offline   ekim68 has a birthday soon!
Member with 45,161 posts.

02-May-2007, 02:33 PM #11
As an aside, I googled 'bush corruption' and there were 8,870,000 results including several books. That's a lot of ink....
Computer Specs
Member with 109,917 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-May-2007, 02:35 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim68
As an aside, I googled 'bush corruption' and there were 8,870,000 results including several books. That's a lot of ink....
Computer Specs
Member with 18,604 posts.

02-May-2007, 02:36 PM #13
Quote:
Would make a sausage manufacturer envious.
Senior Member with 4,901 posts.

Experience: Embryonic Stage
02-May-2007, 03:00 PM #14
Quote:
Well bugger me, no wonder not one Masons Lodge within the US is willing to accept him as a member. And he the Commander in Chief

Owldie
Member with 5,531 posts.

02-May-2007, 04:17 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldie
Well bugger me
An unfortunate phrase from a supposed former member of our 'Senior Service' raised on 'Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash.

Quote:
no wonder not one Masons Lodge within the US is willing to accept him as a member. And he the Commander in Chief

Owldie
So you've not heard of 'Skull and Bones ' ?

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!