Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Civilized Debate Civilized Debate
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

using someone else's wireless connection

(!)

Junior Member with 29 posts.

05-Jul-2007, 10:46 AM #1
using someone else's wireless connection
Hi to all who take a look. I have a question for debate...Is it OK to tap into someone else's wireless?? Morally, legally? Seems a family member feels it's alright to do if the person is foolish enough not to secure his connection. And that she pays for her 'net connection so she feels she has a right to tap in. Unknown to her neighbor, of course. I fell it's wrong, similar to using another's water to fill a swimming pool. Or stealing a car when someone leaves the keys in it. While it'sVERY foolish to leave keys in a car, does that give someone a right to take it??
Thanks to all who share an opinion.
Senior Member with 4,828 posts.

Experience: getting there
05-Jul-2007, 10:49 AM #2
I dont think its right to tap into the neighbors wireless without the permission of the neighbor.
Account Disabled with 44,931 posts.

05-Jul-2007, 11:06 AM #3
Morally and legally wrong.
Senior Member with 4,828 posts.

Experience: getting there
05-Jul-2007, 11:21 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner
Account Disabled with 44,931 posts.

05-Jul-2007, 11:23 AM #5
Morning Sarge
Always remembered in our hearts with 82,163 posts.

Experience: Learning it all here!
05-Jul-2007, 01:54 PM #6
Agree with Jack!
Member with 8,263 posts.

Experience: I bent my wookie :(
05-Jul-2007, 02:50 PM #7
Legally? Depends where you're from.

Two arrested over wifi theft
Member with 3,277 posts.

Experience: Beginner
05-Jul-2007, 05:09 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinmann
Hi to all who take a look. I have a question for debate...Is it OK to tap into someone else's wireless?? Morally, legally? Seems a family member feels it's alright to do if the person is foolish enough not to secure his connection. And that she pays for her 'net connection so she feels she has a right to tap in. Unknown to her neighbor, of course. I fell it's wrong, similar to using another's water to fill a swimming pool. Or stealing a car when someone leaves the keys in it. While it'sVERY foolish to leave keys in a car, does that give someone a right to take it??
Thanks to all who share an opinion.
One of my neighbors (don't know which) did this to me a while back, had no idea I was supposed to "secure" my internet. Couldn't figure out why I would drag - computer tech came out, secured me, problem solved. I wouldn't "tap" into someone else's cable service, or electricity. Absolutely wrong.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,531 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Jul-2007, 06:03 PM #9
It depends on where you live. If there is no clearly defined law against wireless access, then it is not illegal. In most areas where it has been addressed, it is considered trespassing

Either way, it is perfectly legal to "sniff" and locate networks, as well as capture packets from wireless devices. Connecting too a private access point and utilizing its bandwidth IS illegal, though, in the areas where it has been defined.
Junior Member with 29 posts.

09-Jul-2007, 08:47 AM #10
Thanks again for your responses. I was kinda surprised no one disagreed with my and your opinions. I guess I forgot to say I'm in the states, specifically Ohio and Kentucky.
Always remembered in our hearts with 82,163 posts.

Experience: Learning it all here!
09-Jul-2007, 09:09 AM #11
Af ew years ago we had a problem with teens sitting in their cars in our parking lot at weird hours of the night...they were playing their...if I remember correctly...hand held game systems such as PSP and using my neighbor's wireless connection to do that! They told the police they would drive around until they found an open connection...the police said they were trespassing on private property....never said a word about the illegal acts they were performing!

Melody: How do you secure wireless....can we do it on our own?
June 18, 2007: My niece Christi had her baby GIRL! 10:15 a.m.....Emily Debra....7 Lbs. 10 Ozs....21" in length. She has a little dark hair...moves her lips and mouth so sweetly...has pretty petite features...thank you God!!
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Jul-2007, 09:04 AM #12
I think the answer is obvious, I mean, it's impossible to defend the case that "leaving keys in a car gives someone a right to take it". Obviously it becomes more complex in a cyberworld, but I don't believe that morals are lost. If someone leaves their connection unsecured, it's most likely because they don't know how to secure it. Leeching off a person's connection, in that case, would not be reflective of the idiocy of the victim, but of the exploitative and heartless nature of the hacker.

I say pay for what you use.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!