Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Civilized Debate Civilized Debate
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

Technophobe - or technophile?

(!)

Community Moderator with 19,155 posts.

Experience: comfortably numb
27-Nov-2010, 12:23 PM #31
Hi Wendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyM View Post
I said I wasn't on Facebook and he went blank.
I got kinda bullied into joining facebook some years ago (the lady of the house was all gung ho about it, keeping up with her family etc.). So I get a friend request from someone I've truly never heard of. I ignore it and keep getting a reminder (not from the guy but from facebook). When I finally mentioned it the lady tells me "oh that's the boyfriend of whatever-her-name who is cousin to that guy that whosis talked about when we met up with whatchamacallit last year, remember?"

I hadn't logged in to facebook for quite some time but had kept getting these stupid e-mail reminders from the site. That was when I disabled the account altogether since I wanted neither to converse with the boyfriend of whatever-her-name, nor with whatever-her-name herself, let alone with whosis and whatchamacallit.

I noticed though, during my brief membership, that you get some sort of progress points for the amount of "friends" you made. Some had 500 and more. So I asked myself at the time whether I was really interested in people that profess to have 500 "friends", where I can hardly handle a dozen acquaintances.

Not hard to guess the answer.

27-Nov-2010, 12:45 PM #32
I'm not on facebook, don't plan on going on facebook, and refuse to visit anyone's facebook page.

As for 'finding' people, well, if I haven't talked to you since school, there's a reason for it.
Trusted Advisor with 3,995 posts.

27-Nov-2010, 01:41 PM #33
Morning Derek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffoon View Post
I hadn't logged in to facebook for quite some time but had kept getting these stupid e-mail reminders from the site.
I get those because someone will send out something through Facebook and include my email address. I can't read it, of course, so Facebook wants me to join. I decide that I don't care about whatever it is the person (who is well aware I'm not on Facebook) has to say. But Facebook reminds me ... and reminds me ... and reminds me. Shut up, Facebook.

And yeah, I don't have any interest in finding people that I'm no longer in touch with, and I have even less interest in them finding me. But there are people I know and like that I would keep in touch with more through Facebook. For example, I have a cousin that I see a couple of times a year but we rarely call or email. If I was on Facebook, I'm sure I'd talk to her much more. But when I consider that as a reason for joining, it makes me wonder why I don't decide to call her instead. And then I realize that I must not care that much after all.
Member with 5,381 posts.

27-Nov-2010, 03:16 PM #34
Quote:
You gotta be on a different forum
I try to be of a positive outlook when it comes to this site.
pyritechips has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 26,276 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Nov-2010, 03:57 PM #35
Quote:
Hi Wendy

I got kinda bullied into joining facebook some years ago (the lady of the house was all gung ho about it, keeping up with her family etc.). So I get a friend request from someone I've truly never heard of. I ignore it and keep getting a reminder (not from the guy but from facebook). When I finally mentioned it the lady tells me "oh that's the boyfriend of whatever-her-name who is cousin to that guy that whosis talked about when we met up with whatchamacallit last year, remember?"

I hadn't logged in to facebook for quite some time but had kept getting these stupid e-mail reminders from the site. That was when I disabled the account altogether since I wanted neither to converse with the boyfriend of whatever-her-name, nor with whatever-her-name herself, let alone with whosis and whatchamacallit.

I noticed though, during my brief membership, that you get some sort of progress points for the amount of "friends" you made. Some had 500 and more. So I asked myself at the time whether I was really interested in people that profess to have 500 "friends", where I can hardly handle a dozen acquaintances.

Not hard to guess the answer.
I guess some people like to "collect" friends just as some members here like to collect posts. Some people are impressed with big numbers. I wonder if that's why basketball is more popular than soccer?
Member with 51,018 posts.

27-Nov-2010, 05:13 PM #36
Quote:
This is exactly how I feel. If I haven't called or emailed or been to visit you in 20 years, looking at pictures of your kids on Facebook doesn't make us close, it just allows us to pretend we're close. The trend I've noticed now is that people communicate ONLY through Facebook. I get emails inviting me to join Facebook so I can find out the details of a get-together. I figure that if everyone knows I'm not on Facebook and they can't bother to email, call, text, or anything else to invite me, they probably don't care very much whether or not I come. And neither do I, since half of the people will spend the party on their phones checking Facebook. I don't think the technology is bad. I think the way people use it and rely on it is bad.
Why do you have to be "close" to communicate with relatives? I was never close with these relatives to begin with--which is why I hadn't spoken to them in so long. However, it wasn't because they did anything to me or me to them, it was actually more that our respective parents did not communicate and/or these people lived very far away. I think communicating with relatives who do not live anywhere close to me (and therefore I would never see in real life) and are not close to me is a very good alternative to no communication at all. We all communicate in everyday life with many people we are not "close" to (co-workers, neighbors, etc.) just to be nice or neighborly or social yet we shouldn't do it with family??? We also communicate regularly with many relatives we are not "close" to in real life that live close simply because, at least for me, I feel an obligation to communicate and stay in touch with relatives--they are family after all. Also, while you may not be close to a cousin or an aunt or an uncle for example, your children may become very close to the relative or the children of the other relative and I can tell you that has happened in my family (so "but for" staying in touch with some relatives, there would never have been a chance for my children to have met and interacted with some of the relatives they didn't know). Again, I just fail to see why you have to have face-to-face communication only with people you are close to or no communication at all. Most of our real life human interaction with other people are with people we are not close to at all.

Last edited by Mulderator; 27-Nov-2010 at 05:18 PM..

27-Nov-2010, 05:16 PM #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyritechips View Post
I guess some people like to "collect" friends just as some members here like to collect posts. Some people are impressed with big numbers. I wonder if that's why basketball is more popular than soccer?
Basketball is more popular than soccer because its a LOT MORE EXCITING TO WATCH!!!

27-Nov-2010, 05:24 PM #38
Quote:
Morning Derek.

I get those because someone will send out something through Facebook and include my email address. I can't read it, of course, so Facebook wants me to join. I decide that I don't care about whatever it is the person (who is well aware I'm not on Facebook) has to say. But Facebook reminds me ... and reminds me ... and reminds me. Shut up, Facebook.
That's a function you can disable--I get no e-mail whatsoever from Facebook.

Quote:
And yeah, I don't have any interest in finding people that I'm no longer in touch with, and I have even less interest in them finding me. But there are people I know and like that I would keep in touch with more through Facebook. For example, I have a cousin that I see a couple of times a year but we rarely call or email. If I was on Facebook, I'm sure I'd talk to her much more. But when I consider that as a reason for joining, it makes me wonder why I don't decide to call her instead. And then I realize that I must not care that much after all.
Well again, I don't know why you are so fixated on the requirement that you need to "care" at a certain level in order to communicate and that only at that level will you do so and only by telephone. For myself, I dislike talking on the telephone--never have liked it. I much prefer communicating on Facebook or by e-mail or by text. But again, I think you are better off staying in touch with that cousin in some manner than not at all. Remember, your children may someday have a very close relationship with the cousin's children--I again stress that's what happened with my kids. Also, I don't know how old you are but the older you get, the more the family connections mean to you and the more you regret not staying in touch with your relatives. Additionally, while you may have had zero in common with some of them in your 20s (which is when you decided to stop communicating), you find you have much more in common in your 40s or 50s.
Computer Specs

27-Nov-2010, 07:45 PM #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulderator View Post
Basketball is more popular than soccer because its a LOT MORE EXCITING TO WATCH!!!
Baloney!

Basketball is an unbalanced game, favouring the offence, as soccer is an unbalanced game, favouring the defence. Hockey is the best balanced game, with constant back to back action. Football is for goons while baseball is for sissies.

27-Nov-2010, 08:24 PM #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyritechips View Post
Baloney!

Basketball is an unbalanced game, favouring the offence, as soccer is an unbalanced game, favouring the defence. Hockey is the best balanced game, with constant back to back action. Football is for goons while baseball is for sissies.
Football is for wussies that need to pad and armor themselves all over. If they had any guts they'd be playing rugby.
Moderator with 63,295 posts.

27-Nov-2010, 08:39 PM #41
Quote:
Football is for wussies that need to pad and armor themselves all over. If they had any guts they'd be playing rugby.
And if they had any brains they'd play baseball.

27-Nov-2010, 09:43 PM #42
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
And if they had any brains they'd play baseball.
.........which could be pursued to the philosophical angle of brains and guts not making good marriage partners.

But anything's better than cricket.
Computer Specs

27-Nov-2010, 09:49 PM #43
Hockey and Lacrosse are the best team sports because they give you weapons to swing!

27-Nov-2010, 10:05 PM #44
Quote:
.....basically due to attention span problems. Games that will only command the attention of the spectator if there's a point or more scored every minute or so say more about the spectator than about the game. I also challenge the notion that basketball is more popular than soccer. Let's see a world cup in basketball that attracts the viewer attention the way the soccer world cup does.

So there
Computer Specs

27-Nov-2010, 11:15 PM #45
Quote:
That's a function you can disable--I get no e-mail whatsoever from Facebook.

Well again, I don't know why you are so fixated on the requirement that you need to "care" at a certain level in order to communicate and that only at that level will you do so and only by telephone. For myself, I dislike talking on the telephone--never have liked it. I much prefer communicating on Facebook or by e-mail or by text. But again, I think you are better off staying in touch with that cousin in some manner than not at all. Remember, your children may someday have a very close relationship with the cousin's children--I again stress that's what happened with my kids. Also, I don't know how old you are but the older you get, the more the family connections mean to you and the more you regret not staying in touch with your relatives. Additionally, while you may have had zero in common with some of them in your 20s (which is when you decided to stop communicating), you find you have much more in common in your 40s or 50s.
If you don't care, why communicate at all?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!