Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Civilized Debate Civilized Debate
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

Qatar, FIFA, and loving your fellow man

(!)

Moderator with 63,647 posts.

14-Dec-2010, 07:36 PM #1
Qatar, FIFA, and loving your fellow man
Apparently the FIFA boss is in hot water over making some, IMO, rather pertinent comments regarding homosexuality and it's practices in Qatar, which has recently been awarded the World Cup.

Qatar, I believe, practices Islam and Shari'a law is enforced there. While homosexuality is illegal, it's not the automatic death sentence it is in other countries.

This said, I pretty much agree with what the FIFA boss said, which was, in essence, 'when in rome.......' I found a quote from this link to be rather pertinent:

Quote:
Concerns have been raised that a country hosting a major tournament has stringent laws that are seen by many to violate basic human rights.
I know that this has been bandied about quite a bit here at TSG, but I want to again make my stance on this; who is good enough, morally God-like enough, to make the statement that being gay is a sin before some rather nebulous entity? You? Me? Anyone ruling in Qatar?

I'm of the opinion that the FIFA boss was spot on in making that comment, as indeed it is punishable by law in Qatar.

Yet again, political correctness sorta crosses paths with common sense.

"Ask Bill why the string in function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that". - Gary Kildall
Drabdr   (Brad) Drabdr is offline Drabdr has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Community Moderator with 9,952 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Dec-2010, 07:47 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
I know that this has been bandied about quite a bit here at TSG, but I want to again make my stance on this; who is good enough, morally God-like enough, to make the statement that being gay is a sin before some rather nebulous entity? You? Me?
And I ask again... Are you implying that anyone who feels homosexuality is a sin is some kind of inferior person?

14-Dec-2010, 07:53 PM #3
Close minded, yes. Inferior, nope.

IMO, inferior would be someone who actively takes away a productive member of society. But then again, you know my views on society and how vitally important it is to the continuing of the human race.
Community Moderator with 19,155 posts.

Experience: comfortably numb
14-Dec-2010, 08:08 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabdr View Post
And I ask again... Are you implying that anyone who feels homosexuality is a sin is some kind of inferior person?
Quote:
Close minded, yes. Inferior, nope.

IMO, inferior would be someone who actively takes away a productive member of society. But then again, you know my views on society and how vitally important it is to the continuing of the human race.
But there is perhaps agreement, at least in general understanding within our societies, that the close-minded is considered inferior to the open-minded.

And feelings, important as they are in that they should not be dismissed, make alone for knowledge not.

14-Dec-2010, 08:11 PM #5
..............and Blatter is interested in the vagaries of it, not at all. In relation to him Bernie is like Mahatma Ghandi unto Genghis Khan.

14-Dec-2010, 08:21 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffoon View Post
But there is perhaps agreement, at least in general understanding within our societies, that the close-minded is considered inferior to the open-minded.
Well, I'd have to disagree there. I certainly consider nobody who is close-minded inferior; rather, I pity them for their inability to look around with unbiased eyes. I understand that there is no debating them, for their views are iron-clad, and not open to change. And that, truth told, makes me feel sad for them.

But inferior? Nope.

Quote:
And feelings, important as they are in that they should not be dismissed, make alone for knowledge not.
Indeed. Excellent quote.

14-Dec-2010, 08:24 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffoon View Post
..............and Blatter is interested in the vagaries of it, not at all. In relation to him Bernie is like Mahatma Ghandi unto Genghis Khan.
by any chance did you use to write placement tests back in the mid-80's or so for college-bound idjits in North America?

'tesseract is to Buick as key lime pie is to ______________'........and mind you, your future rode on this. One of the main reasons I had to spend a few years as a suit in an international firm........ Man, glad to escape that one.

But the fact remains that Blatter's comment, tongue in cheek or not, is pretty spot on. If you wish to 'love your fellow man', don't do it in the city that we chose to host the FIFA WC........

Sorta like stating 'by the way, the host nation sort of looks down on murdering their ruling folk. So don't do it.'

Again, common sense.........<>..........political correctness.
wacor has a Photo Album
Account Disabled with 27,340 posts.

Experience: Depends on the definition
15-Dec-2010, 12:56 PM #8
Shows you how bad things have gotten when all he did was speak the truth. For all we know he might be a supporter of gay rights and threw this out there to make it an issue as to how close minded the likes of Qatar are.

15-Dec-2010, 01:00 PM #9
that's sort of my point, wacor........but anytime anyone says anything even remotely considered 'homophobic'........kerblammo. Common sense goes out the window.
wacor has a Photo Album
Account Disabled with 27,340 posts.

Experience: Depends on the definition
15-Dec-2010, 01:37 PM #10
and how is it homophobic to point out what the law is in Qatar?

you can bet every western team at least will be warned before they leave to go there about this. just as a reminder. That along with the other archaic laws over there

15-Dec-2010, 02:05 PM #11
my point exactly; it's not in the least bit homophobic. But now everyone is up in arms against the dude who warned them, again quite rightly so, of Qatar's laws regarding that.
Member with 8,713 posts.

15-Dec-2010, 02:10 PM #12
Valis wrote:
Quote:
I know that this has been bandied about quite a bit here at TSG, but I want to again make my stance on this; who is good enough, morally God-like enough, to make the statement that being gay is a sin before some rather nebulous entity? You? Me? Anyone ruling in Qatar?
Having been involved with Qatar and its rulers, the Al-Tharni family, I would comment that as far as the Gulf goes, they are very moderate.

They also sit on one of the globe's greatest natural gas reserves.

And what's more, it's their country!

If one doesn't like their stance on sexuality, pork, women: then simple.

Don't go there!

Like the Poison Dwarf and Formula One, he'll cuddle up to anyone if they are rich enough and he can stage a GP and tuck another hundred mill in the bank: whether it has anything to do with traditional venues or "Real" motor racing.

As a football despiser (And all that goes with it), I would suggest that such as Fifa, whore their fiefdom in precisely the same way.

One of the many things that currently piss me off, big time, is Western states and nutty activists bleating vociferously (From the safety of their own tolerant society, natch), about how this country and that country should do this and shouldn't do that!

Advice to these incessant wearing and vomit-making clowns: move to that country, adopt citizenship and militate therein: for a bit, afore they chop your head off.......................

15-Dec-2010, 02:14 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacor View Post
Shows you how bad things have gotten when all he did was speak the truth. For all we know he might be a supporter of gay rights and threw this out there to make it an issue as to how close minded the likes of Qatar are.
There's been a lot of gripe about the way the awarding of the cup went and where it went. Obviously jealousies of those not considered reflected in "national" reporters asking. This one was just an attempt to draw Blatter onto the ice. The issue has, to my knowledge, never been asked before nor has it interested anyone. Gays are not precluded from entering Qatar to watch soccer or whatever.

Quote:
that's sort of my point, wacor........but anytime anyone says anything even remotely considered 'homophobic'........kerblammo. Common sense goes out the window.
This 75 year old guy in Germany comes to the Australian embassy back in the late 60s, asking for an immigration permit. So the official remarks upon what a big step that is to take at his age and why now, so late in life?

Says the ole geezer, "I've lived thru and seen a lot. In the 3rd Reich, homosexuality was punishable by death. In the post war the penalty was reduced to jail term. Some year ago it only incurred a fine and now it's become completely legal. Well, I've seen enough change in my life and at my age now, I'm done with it. So before it becomes compulsary.............................

15-Dec-2010, 02:15 PM #14
well said, Paq, as usual. If you don't like it, change the channel.......quit griping about it. The fact remains that Qatar has laws set up to prohibit that sort of stuff; do I agree with them? Nope. But can I do anything to change the ruling faction of a foreign nation?

Also nope.

15-Dec-2010, 02:29 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paquadez View Post
Valis wrote:

Having been involved with Qatar and its rulers, the Al-Tharni family, I would comment that as far as the Gulf goes, they are very moderate.
Indeed. One can do worse than go to Qatar in the Gulf. But even the others there make for pretty good living and good to get along with (and in).

Quote:
If one doesn't like their stance on sexuality, pork, women: then simple.

Don't go there!
The ultimate option for anybody, anywhere.

Quote:
Like the Poison Dwarf and Formula One, he'll cuddle up to anyone if they are rich enough and he can stage a GP and tuck another hundred mill in the bank: whether it has anything to do with traditional venues or "Real" motor racing.

As a football despiser (And all that goes with it), I would suggest that such as Fifa, whore their fiefdom in precisely the same way.
Much as I like football, the business machinations are indeed much the same.

Quote:
One of the many things that currently piss me off, big time, is Western states and nutty activists bleating vociferously (From the safety of their own tolerant society, natch), about how this country and that country should do this and shouldn't do that!
Added to which, they can't tell a Saudi from a Yemeni, a Yemeni from an Omani, an Omani from a Qatari to Kuwaiti and so on. All speak Arabic, forbid pork and booze (haha) and are thus archaic, barbarian and dangerous.

Quote:
Advice to these incessant wearing and vomit-making clowns: move to that country, adopt citizenship and militate therein: for a bit, afore they chop your head off.......................
More'n likely, in Qatar they'll just kick you out.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!