Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Controversial Topics Controversial Topics
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Child Abuse

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 107,867 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jul-2011, 02:19 PM #1
Child Abuse
Casey Anthony Trial: Jury Begins Deliberations
By YUNJI DE NIES and JESSICA HOPPER
ORLANDO, Fla. July 4, 2011

Jurors in the Casey Anthony trial have begun deliberating the fate of the Florida woman accused of murdering her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee.

Anthony is charged with the first degree murder of her daughter and could face the death penalty if convicted. She sat stone-faced as the judge instructed the jury.

Judge Belvin Perry instructed jurors how to proceed in their deliberations. He gave jurors the option of finding her guilty of a lesser crime such as second degree murder, manslaughter or third degree felony murder. Those crimes do not carry a death sentence.

Along with the first degree murder charge, Anthony faces charges of aggravated child abuse, aggravated manslaughter and four charges of lying to law enforcement.

This morning, closing arguments ended with the prosecution painting Casey Anthony as a pathological liar who diverted attention away from herself by claiming her dead daughter, Caylee, had been kidnapped.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/casey_antho...ry?id=13992868

05-Jul-2011, 03:26 PM #2
Casey Anthony Trial: Not Guilty Murder Verdict
By JESSICA HOPPER, EMILY FRIEDMAN (@EmilyABC) , YUNJI DE NIES and AARON KATERSKY
ABC News' Lauren Pearle and Erin Keohane contributed to this report
ORLANDO, Fla. July 5, 2011

Casey Anthony has been found not guilty of murdering her 2-year-old daughter Caylee. The jury declined to convict her of either first degree murder or manslaughter.

The jury found Casey Anthony guilty on four counts of providing false information to law enforcement, which are misdemeanors. It's possible she could be released from prison later this week.

Clutching the hand of her defense attorney Jose Baez, Casey Anthony began to sob as the verdict was read. The rest of her defense team stood beside her, also clutching hands. She thanked Baez as she was swarmed by the defense team.

Her parents, Cindy and George Anthony, left the courtroom as Judge Belvin Perry read further instructions to the jury and did not approach their daughter.

Casey Anthony, who sat grim faced throughout the six weeks of testimony, beamed happily as she was fingerprinted in the courtroom for her misdemeanor convictions.

Sentencing on the guilty counts will be held on 9 a.m. Thursday. The maximum sentence applicable in this case is four years, but having already served two and a half years behind bars, Casey Anthony stands to serve one and a half years.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/casey_antho...ry?id=13987918
pyritechips has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 26,276 posts.

06-Jul-2011, 01:04 AM #3
I hear about child abuse and murder all the time on the local news. Being the father of a 2 1/2 year old, whom I love beyond words, such stories really disturb me. With all due respect why do we need to illustrate them here? What purpose can it serve beside raising feelings of disgust and outrage. Just offering my thoughts - and I won't be visiting this thread again.
Member with 44,360 posts.

06-Jul-2011, 01:35 AM #4
I agree Jim, this could be put somewhere else...We have enough bad news...
Community Moderator with 19,155 posts.

Experience: comfortably numb
06-Jul-2011, 01:06 PM #5
It's hardly a pleasant topic but it is of societal interest, nay import.
LauraMJ has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Administrator with 12,336 posts.

06-Jul-2011, 01:09 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffoon View Post
It's hardly a pleasant topic but it is of societal interest, nay import.
Very true, plus.......we can't just "not want to look at" the ugly things that happen to children (though I myself and guilty of that quite often). It's the outrage itself that is generated by hearing and reading such things that is the best defense against it and the most effective way to getting it stamped out.
Drabdr   (Brad) Drabdr is offline Drabdr has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Community Moderator with 9,837 posts.

06-Jul-2011, 05:17 PM #7
Geeze, you guys should see my FaceBook news feed about this case. There are some pretty agitated people out there about this verdict.
Computer Specs

06-Jul-2011, 08:55 PM #8
Caylee's Law' Petition Takes Off in Wake of Casey Anthony Verdict

http://losalamitos.patch.com/article...nthony-verdict

A law proposed by an Oklahoma mother of two would make it a felony to fail to report a child that has gone missing. The grassroots effort has collected more than 120,00 signatures in less than 24 hours.

I will always believe that people are basically good. Power to the people.
Computer Specs

06-Jul-2011, 08:59 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabdr View Post
Caylee's Law' Petition Takes Off in Wake of Casey Anthony Verdict

http://losalamitos.patch.com/article...nthony-verdict

A law proposed by an Oklahoma mother of two would make it a felony to fail to report a child that has gone missing. The grassroots effort has collected more than 120,00 signatures in less than 24 hours.

I will always believe that people are basically good. Power to the people.
Computer Specs

06-Jul-2011, 09:13 PM #10
What kind of mother, even a so-so mother, would exhibit behavior like that when they found out their baby girl had passed?

Is it just me, or... is anyone else still screaming for justice here? Let me explain...

Either she did it, and this was one of the most reprehensible jobs of a prosecution ever,
She did not do it, and the prosecution wasted our time going after her...

I want answers. I want to know what happened here. I think we as a society deserve to know why that girl died, and should someone pay for it.

Ok... rant over.
Computer Specs

06-Jul-2011, 11:04 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabdr View Post
What kind of mother, even a so-so mother, would exhibit behavior like that when they found out their baby girl had passed?

Is it just me, or... is anyone else still screaming for justice here? Let me explain...

Either she did it, and this was one of the most reprehensible jobs of a prosecution ever,
She did not do it, and the prosecution wasted our time going after her...

I want answers. I want to know what happened here. I think we as a society deserve to know why that girl died, and should someone pay for it.

Ok... rant over.
Sadly, I think we will never know. If Casey had been put on the stand, I think she would have broken down and confessed. to either an accidental death or killing her. But that was not to be. The jurors were following instructions. I hope some will get interviewed. One case I was on we had to find not quilty because of the instructions. None of us liked it. But the law is the law. Thank goodness it was not a serious case like this one.
Member with 13,471 posts.

06-Jul-2011, 11:20 PM #12
Jay Leno said it was the jurors on the OJ case that retired to Florida
Computer Specs

07-Jul-2011, 12:12 PM #13
Casey Anthony Sentence: Florida Mom Could Be Released In Late July
First Posted: 07/7/11 09:51 AM ET Updated: 07/7/11 09:59 AM ET
(Writing by Colleen Jenkins; Editing by Jerry Norton)

ORLANDO, Fla, (Reuters) - A Florida judge Thursday sentenced Casey Anthony to four years in jail for lying to police, but said after credit for the nearly three years she already served she could be out of jail by late this month or early August.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_892109.html
Computer Specs

07-Jul-2011, 01:06 PM #14
Caseys' costume for court appearance is now out the door. Her hair is flowing instead of the bun.
Computer Specs

07-Jul-2011, 02:11 PM #15
Casey Anthony sentencing: Casey leaving jail July 13
By Amy Pavuk and Anthony Colarossi, Orlando Sentinel
1:16 p.m. EDT, July 7, 2011

Chief Judge Belvin Perry sentenced Casey Anthony this morning for lying to police, giving her four years in jail and credit for the time she's already served since 2008.

Considering how much time she's already served and other factors, court officials said Anthony will be released from the Orange County Jail on July 13.

She was fined $4,000, or $1,000 for each conviction. She also must pay $618 in other costs.

The four-year sentence imposed by Perry is the maximum the judge could set under the jury's decision.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,5224350.story
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!