Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Controversial Topics Controversial Topics
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

missing link?

(!)

Moderator with 63,365 posts.

14-Mar-2012, 01:26 PM #1
missing link?
first off, Le News:

http://news.yahoo.com/mysterious-chi...150805074.html

secondly, I know enough of the Piltdown Man to accept this at face value....but it raises some rather interesting questions, especially if it turns out that the dating is accurate. The fact that they were co-mingling with modern homo sap (IF the dating is accurate) definitely raises some questions.

Evolution being one of them.

"Ask Bill why the string in function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that". - Gary Kildall
Community Moderator with 19,155 posts.

Experience: comfortably numb
14-Mar-2012, 08:27 PM #2
happens every so often and makes for great enthusiasm of new interpretation with some, less so with others.

National Geographic wisely abstains from taking a stance, instead just records all reactions.

Probably not hoaxy like Piltdown, but defining it as a new species seems a bit like jumping the gun.

Humans, as the article states, come in all shapes and don't we know it?

15-Mar-2012, 07:51 AM #3
Indeed.......jumping the gun is exactly what I was thinking. That said, the article state they found them some 25 years ago, and have been doing research on them for the last 10 or so, so I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that this could be a new species.

That would be something indeed. Just the fact that the would have lived alongside modern homo sap boggles my mind. There is SO much we don't know about our own past.

Well, okay, not mine; that's sort of open for interpretation. But I'm talking about when we moseyed on out of the trees and stood upright. To me, this sort of stuff is fascinating.

I hope we get someone like Poochers or Valley in here, as the question I have is; what (if this turns out to be validated) effect will this have on the church?

15-Mar-2012, 06:12 PM #4
Seems that "differences" are still seen as within the parameter range of human variety, whoever defines that one. DNA would probably give more insight but from what I could read up, obtaining of DNA has so far proved unsuccessful. With rapid development in that field this need not remain so.

Not sure about whichever church, but the question made me realize never having heard anything about whether Neanderthal alone was ever acknowledged as descending from Adam.
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,242 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Mar-2012, 06:22 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
I hope we get someone like Poochers or Valley in here, as the question I have is; what (if this turns out to be validated) effect will this have on the church?
None whatsoever.
Sadly in most cases because they aren't bothered, don't follow science closely enough, or generally just don't care*.
In the case of the minority who do actually care, it would depend on their views of the science. YECs have their own peculiar views on science anyway, though they generally prefer to put the opposite spin on new evidence rather than ignore it. OECs and theistic evolutionists probably wouldn't be phased by the discovery at all.

* I should add that the "not care" camp isn't purely a Christian phenomenon, it seems to be a general human thing.

15-Mar-2012, 07:17 PM #6
well, poochers and valley are equally knowledgeable about religion (slight edge to valley), but they both have the very, very rare ability to voice their opinion on a subject as it relates to church doctrine and not be swayed from it. I've learned a TON of stuff from those two over the years.......

15-Mar-2012, 07:18 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffoon View Post

Not sure about whichever church, but the question made me realize never having heard anything about whether Neanderthal alone was ever acknowledged as descending from Adam.
Hence the idea for the thread......you seem to know me a bit too well, El Buffo.........
Member with 5,381 posts.

15-Mar-2012, 08:19 PM #8
I saw the title of the thread and thought someone was inquiring about Mulder.

16-Mar-2012, 07:31 AM #9
was actually thinking about him today........wonder how his bracket is doing.......

16-Mar-2012, 02:12 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastiat View Post
I saw the title of the thread and thought someone was inquiring about Mulder.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

This what did it?
Quote:
prominent brow ridges, thick skull bones, flat upper faces with a broad nose, jutting jaws that lack a humanlike chin, brains moderate in size by ice age human standards
Drabdr   (Brad) Drabdr is offline Drabdr has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Community Moderator with 9,872 posts.

16-Mar-2012, 11:11 PM #11
Quote:
Well... sorry to let you down as I am not Poochers or Valley.

But... this is an intriguing question.

The general two camps that I have run across will 1) instantly dismiss it if it interferes with their Young Earth theory they are so ensconced in, or 2) greet it with a scientific interest. Being, those in camp 2 have already figured out their belief system is about Faith, and thus will seek out the Science portion as being interesting or intriguing.

16-Mar-2012, 11:23 PM #12
yes.......but....

Doesn't the Church (note the capital, referencing the Vatican and all it's idiosyncrasies) state that humans were made, and that was that?

Which brings me to the next question: if life were found on another planet, what effect would that have upon the Church? I've heard tell that it would pretty much cripple it, but damned if I can figure out why....
Drabdr   (Brad) Drabdr is offline Drabdr has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Community Moderator with 9,872 posts.

17-Mar-2012, 06:38 AM #13
Quote:
yes.......but....

Doesn't the Church (note the capital, referencing the Vatican and all it's idiosyncrasies) state that humans were made, and that was that?
Hmmm... not sure about the official Catholic position, but in general, yes they believe humans were created (in the beginning).

Quote:
Which brings me to the next question: if life were found on another planet, what effect would that have upon the Church? I've heard tell that it would pretty much cripple it, but damned if I can figure out why....
It wouldn't for me. There are several things that I feel the bible does not state; and at least for me, doesn't matter that much. For example, there is information left out about how the world was populated after Adam and Eve, and after Noah and the Great Flood. So there could be worlds and generations destroyed and such that we are not told about.

Same with life on other planets. It's entirely possible.

And.... they may have their own bible.
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 18,565 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Mar-2012, 09:02 AM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabdr View Post
......................................................Same with life on other planets. It's entirely possible.

And.... they may have their own bible.
That would negate finding intelligent life. Hopefully they will be an advanced people and not be as superstitious as some here.

It will be heart breaking to find Alley Oop toon is reality what with dino's and humans commingling.

17-Mar-2012, 01:05 PM #15
Quote:
There are several things that I feel the bible does not state;
and yet you believe the bible is the inerrant word of god......

begin to see some of the discrepancies, Brad? Are you stating that you are better than God?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!