Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Controversial Topics Controversial Topics
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Inevitable Armageddon

(!)

Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 81 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Apr-2012, 10:03 AM #1
Inevitable Armageddon
If this does not get an avalanche of posts - I give up.

When all aspects of life on Earth depend primarily on Oil and Gas. What will happen when these reserves run dry ?

Forecast vary enormously, but 2050 is a popular date. that is not too far away !

Whatever the date, it looks like curtains for life on Earth, a total collapse of civilization seems a certainty.

Comments please. I will not be here to see it, but countless millions of others will.
Community Moderator with 19,155 posts.

Experience: comfortably numb
20-Apr-2012, 02:35 PM #2
moved this here. Far too full of life for being anywhere else (and that's a compliment)
Account Disabled with 6,271 posts.

Experience: Getting on everyone's ner
20-Apr-2012, 03:34 PM #3
Running out of petroleum products would only lead to Armageddon in the sense that we have crackpots that might use destructive weapons to take what little is left in the end.

How long have we been using petroleum products vs how long we have existed on this planet? I'd say only a minute fraction of human existence has been and will be so intertwined with a dependence on petroleum. Change will happen, science may advance, humans may learn to live with what they have. Who knows?

But as long as we still have an ozone layer, we will continue to exist. Who can say in what condition that will be? Maybe we'll go back to riding horses or walking like the Incas - who didn't even have a wheel or horses. We will still be able to generate electricity and we still know how to generate motion with it whether it be from the sun, from hydro, or from the yet-to-be-found gravitons for that matter (or even anti-matter ).

20-Apr-2012, 03:49 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thingamajig View Post
Running out of petroleum products would only lead to Armageddon in the sense that we have crackpots that might use destructive weapons to take what little is left in the end.
With a bit of luck (and do I believe in luck?) the stuff will run out so evenly that they'll have nothing to propel their armamment with. At least that'll get me out from under this constant drone threat I suffer.
Quote:
How long have we been using petroleum products vs how long we have existed on this planet? I'd say only a minute fraction of human existence has been and will be so intertwined with a dependence on petroleum. Change will happen, science may advance, humans may learn to live with what they have. Who knows?
I agree that by the time of the dry-up there'll be other options. Probably not for everyone but that's no change from now either. Maybe there'll be a role reversal.

Quote:
But as long as we still have an ozone layer, we will continue to exist. Who can say in what condition that will be? Maybe we'll go back to riding horses or walking like the Incas -
Maybe we'll even get to publish the edition of their calendar that they were too broke for doing
Quote:
We will still be able to generate electricity and we still know how to generate motion with it whether it be from the sun, from hydro, or from the yet-to-be-found gravitons for that matter (or even anti-matter ).
Doesn't matter

Experience: Getting on everyone's ner
20-Apr-2012, 04:11 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffoon View Post
At least that'll get me out from under this constant drone threat I suffer.
Apparently you haven't seen the design for our new solar powered model

Quote:
Maybe we'll even get to publish the edition of their calendar that they were too broke for doing
If only they didn't have to carve it into heavy stones - despite their talent for moving them without machinery. Now it's time to roll out our new solar powered printing press. But never mind, by the time our reserves run out, we won't be using paper anymore anyway. Here is already one great step toward more efficient use of our resources.

Who knows? Perhaps we will have to learn pull carbon based products out of the thin air - which would be a good thing because we all know there will be plenty of it floating around.
Member with 2,210 posts.

Experience: Beginner
20-Apr-2012, 09:56 PM #6
it seams we are already trying to do without....hopefully, we will get there before then...
Member with 44,948 posts.

21-Apr-2012, 12:48 AM #7
IMO, running out of Oil might actually clean things up a lot, starting with Air.....We really take breathing absent-mindedly.... Thinking every breath we take will be followed by another one without poisons in our intakes...
Account Disabled with 16,918 posts.

21-Apr-2012, 02:06 AM #8
I dont know????,,,If iran gets their way,,they could significantly reduce the population of those that actually use alot of oil....thus making the supply last longer.
Member with 33,764 posts.

Experience: I thimk therefore I yam
21-Apr-2012, 02:51 AM #9
I think every member here should put on foil hats..cuz quite frankly..this thread skeered the beejebus outta moi!
Member with 8,713 posts.

21-Apr-2012, 08:13 AM #10
This topic was done to death and nauseum already, here:

http://forums.techguy.org/8264010-post1.html
Computer Specs

21-Apr-2012, 08:29 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paquadez View Post
This topic was done to death and nauseum already, here:

http://forums.techguy.org/8264010-post1.html
I could not give a crap about some previous thread, dust it of and read it yourself if you wish, we are now talking of today`s appraisal.

I am very much certain that this topic will be done to death a thousand more times before the balloon goes pop. It is NOT a topic to chat about and then shelve, it is continuous, so forget the previous waffle and concentrate on TODAY`S update if you wish to take part.

21-Apr-2012, 08:42 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadoo View Post
I could not give a crap about some previous thread, dust it of and read it yourself if you wish, we are now talking of today`s appraisal.

I am very much certain that this topic will be done to death a thousand more times before the balloon goes pop. It is NOT a topic to chat about and then shelve, it is continuous, so forget the previous waffle and concentrate on TODAY`S update if you wish to take part.
Hey yabbadoo,

cool it a bit, ok?

Paquadez's observation is totally correct and there's nothing wrong with voicing it. If this thread is to continue, topic previously done to death or not, first requirement is civility of tone.

Otherwise I'll close her down.
Member with 8,713 posts.

21-Apr-2012, 08:42 AM #13
Quote:

Careful!

Forum rules are specific about new topic flooding; please read.

And if you have actually bothered to check the thread I cited, then you will rapidly see two realities:

One: No dust it was very recent.

Two: The core realities and metrics were submerged by the plethora of ill-informed mania.

As a general forum procedure, nothing prevents posters from picking up the original threads and reinvigorating them.

Read, mark, learn and inwardly digest, perhaps?
Computer Specs

21-Apr-2012, 08:55 AM #14
Quote:
Hey yabbadoo,

cool it a bit, ok?

Paquadez's observation is totally correct and there's nothing wrong with voicing it. If this thread is to continue, topic previously done to death or not, first requirement is civility of tone.

Otherwise I'll close her down.
OK, I am sorry, but this is an ongoing threat and one cannot just file a single discussion in the archives. I was a bit hasty. I withdraw my remarks.

I did not know of the previous thread and would have appreciated somebody telling me when I raised mine. Searching for previous topics is not easy.

Last edited by yabbadoo; 21-Apr-2012 at 09:02 AM..

21-Apr-2012, 10:20 AM #15
Quote:
OK, I am sorry, but this is an ongoing threat and one cannot just file a single discussion in the archives. I was a bit hasty. I withdraw my remarks.

I did not know of the previous thread and would have appreciated somebody telling me when I raised mine. Searching for previous topics is not easy.
Fair enough.

Let's carry on.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!