Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Controversial Topics Controversial Topics
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Same-sex marriage

(!)

Member with 4,265 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-May-2012, 01:34 PM #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
Dunno about that one.........I think it's more their interpretation of their religion that won't let them......which is why I continually point to the fact that it seems rather un-christian to force one's opinions on someone else.
Fair enough.
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,248 posts.

10-May-2012, 01:35 PM #47
What about it is "unchristian"?
Moderator with 63,501 posts.

10-May-2012, 01:36 PM #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffoon View Post
Well, if the whole thing flunks due to a "religious" majority vote of "con", I guess that's what it'll be, a majority.

Won't indicate that they're correct or incorrect, just what a majority wants.
As Opus the Penguin so wisely opined so many years ago:
Quote:
A million penguins watched a plane fly from one direction to the other. As the plane flew above them, a million penguins fall onto their backs from watching the plane. And he said: "If a million penguins do a stupid thing, it's still a stupid thing. Just popular."
Community Moderator with 19,155 posts.

Experience: comfortably numb
10-May-2012, 01:39 PM #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ent View Post
What about it is "unchristian"?
Get a sufficient number of those voting to agree on that and .......end of story.
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

10-May-2012, 01:40 PM #50
"If a million penguins do a stupid thing, it's still a stupid thing. Just popular."

That is very true. Conversely, if a million penguins do something very clever, it's both clever and popular.

10-May-2012, 01:41 PM #51
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
As Opus the Penguin so wisely opined so many years ago:
Brings us to the old adage of "eat manure, gazillions of flies cannot err"
Computer Specs

10-May-2012, 01:42 PM #52
Quote:
Get a sufficient number of those voting to agree on that and .......end of story.
What constitutes "Christian" behavior is determined by Jesus, and no one else. To be Christian is to follow Jesus, to be like Jesus. Democracy doesn't feature in it. Again, what about it is unchristian?
Member with 13,498 posts.

10-May-2012, 01:43 PM #53
Quote:
Like those who voted in the 32 states where it was on the ballot each time and did not pass were unChristian

Quote:
More Americans support gay marriage (47 percent) than oppose it (43 percent), according to a recent Pew survey. In 2004, 60 percent of Americans opposed it in Pew data. Only 8 percent were strongly in favor. In 2004, a majority did not support gay marriage in any state; by 2010, a majority did in 17.

Yet 32 times since 1998, voters have gone to the polls and voted against gay marriage.* Thirty-eight states prohibit gay marriage in some fashion. Even in “blue” states like California, Oregon and Delaware, gay marriage bans stand.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...lNDU_blog.html

10-May-2012, 01:44 PM #54
Quote:
"If a million penguins do a stupid thing, it's still a stupid thing. Just popular."

That is very true. Conversely, if a million penguins do something very clever, it's both clever and popular.
and there lies the rub. Get a million penguins to do something popular and we still have to establish whether it's also clever or not.

I predict a variety of opinions, undoubtedly all backed by pertinent substantiation. All the way to it being clever to fall on your back when a plane flies overhead.

10-May-2012, 01:46 PM #55
Quote:
.............Democracy doesn't feature in it...............
Democracy features, period.

To follow your stance would be abrogating democracy and I'm sure that's not what you're saying.
Computer Specs

10-May-2012, 01:47 PM #56
Quote:
and there lies the rub. Get a million penguins to do something popular and we still have to establish whether it's also clever or not.

I predict a variety of opinions, undoubtedly all backed by pertinent substantiation. All the way to it being clever to fall on your back when a plane flies overhead.
If anyone can give a sensible reason for that, sure. It's probably better than the Ostrich response of burying one's head in the sand.

Meanwhile, where can I get these penguins? I've been trying to draw a decent penguin for a while now, but couldn't get a model. :hopeful:

10-May-2012, 01:48 PM #57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlefield View Post
Like those who voted in the 32 states where it was on the ballot each time and did not pass were unChristian

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...lNDU_blog.html
what one favors and what one votes for are two things that should not be confused.
Computer Specs

10-May-2012, 01:48 PM #58
Quote:
Democracy features, period.

To follow your stance would be abrogating democracy and I'm sure that's not what you're saying.
I'm saying that democracy has no place in determining what constitutes "christian" behavior. In governing a country it seems to be pretty much the best system we've found so far.
Member with 13,498 posts.

10-May-2012, 01:50 PM #59
Quote:
what one favors and what one votes for are two things that should not be confused.
But it says something when 32 states do not have enough votes to pass gay marriage

10-May-2012, 01:52 PM #60
Quote:
If anyone can give a sensible reason for that, sure. It's probably better than the Ostrich response of burying one's head in the sand.
Well, for one thing, one has a heck of a hard time sighting that "ack-ack" while on one's belly.

Quote:
Meanwhile, where can I get these penguins? I've been trying to draw a decent penguin for a while now, but couldn't get a model. :hopeful:
Last I heard, they're all flat out.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!