Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Controversial Topics Controversial Topics
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Lance Armstrong - did he, or didn't he?

(!)

View Poll Results: dope or no dope?
yup, he did. 7 31.82%
nope, he's cool. 3 13.64%
he did, but he beat the system 3 13.64%
don't care 4 18.18%
do care, but don't know 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Computer Specs
Member with 1,598 posts.

14-Jun-2012, 10:07 AM #16
If it makes any diference to you... I didn't vote yet.

I definitly don't know for sure and don't really care. He's just another overpaid greedy athlete, albeit seemingly passionate about his racing.
Moderator with 63,491 posts.

14-Jun-2012, 10:17 AM #17
hey, wowzer, we all have opinions. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to vote.......if you don't wanna, you don't haveta.

IMO, I do disagree with you about his being greedy.......think he's just uniquely talented and EXTREMELY competitive. Which, of course, makes a great argument for the 'yup he did' part.

"Ask Bill why the string in function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that". - Gary Kildall
Computer Specs
Member with 1,598 posts.

14-Jun-2012, 10:31 AM #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
hey, wowzer, we all have opinions. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to vote.......if you don't wanna, you don't haveta.

IMO, I do disagree with you about his being greedy.......think he's just uniquely talented and EXTREMELY competitive. Which, of course, makes a great argument for the 'yup he did' part.
I dunno, I'd love to have the money he makes from endorsments/advertizements. I do agree about the competitive part, kinda why I added the passionate part.

14-Jun-2012, 10:54 AM #19
Yeah, I'd love to have the cash as well.........BUT..........I don't feel like riding a bike for that long to make it.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,598 posts.

14-Jun-2012, 11:14 AM #20
Quote:
Yeah, I'd love to have the cash as well.........BUT..........I don't feel like riding a bike for that long to make it.
Quote:
I don't feel like riding a bike for that long to make it.
No doubt I'd be in the cardiac unit.

14-Jun-2012, 11:23 AM #21
yup........and I'd be right next to you.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,598 posts.

14-Jun-2012, 11:38 AM #22
back from the cardiac unit just thinking about all that peddling...

Pretty tough to tell these days, the doctors that treat/take care of, the sports "heros" are getting pretty clever. In my opinion it's tougher on the testers to identify some of the "things" they come up with.

I could guess that he did but beat the system ... but... itidbe just that ... a guess.

14-Jun-2012, 11:48 AM #23
I honestly don't know which way I'm leaning on this. I'm a bit skeptical of junk (as you may have noticed) so I have a hard time stating that Armstrong didn't just get away with it........I mean, look at the last 15 years of cycling; looks like a cheech and chong flick.

However, I've seen a lot of biometric crap on him, and he's like the Phelps of cycling; he just has a body that is preternaturally disposed towards that type of aerobic workout......and by quite a distance.
Drabdr   (Brad) Drabdr is online now Drabdr has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Community Moderator with 9,916 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Jun-2012, 10:19 PM #24
Quote:

what did you pick, btw? I'll manually change it.
I picked No; he didn't do it. I went ahead and manually changed it.
Computer Specs

15-Jun-2012, 10:32 PM #25
Ok, I finally get to return to this one. The New Lean in Corporate America is killing me...

Two stories...

My brother has always been a good athlete. We grew up near Walnut Creek Country Club, and my brother moved there on the course. He has played that course since he was a kid, and was right at a par (or a little below) golfer.

A few years ago (John Daly was in the top 50 at the time) the golf pro called my brother to tell him John was coming to play Walnut Creek. He had never seen the course, stepped onto it, and in my brother's words, he tore that course up. He 'laid up' like my brother had never seen. John played that course two levels above anyone else my brother had ever seen.

A friend of mine (and IT techie geek, BTW) is an avid cyclist. He got the opportunity to ride the Tour de France course (not to compete). He said there were bikers in their group that he did not feel worthy to hold their water bottle. Their best times still were not anywhere near the requirements to enter the Tour De France. Enter Lance Armstrong.

I just find it interesting to observe the 'thinning of the herd' so to speak as they move up the pyramid. So if you take the top 10 bikers in the world (based on previous competition times and rankings), is Lance Armstrong enough better than them to beat them more than 50% of the time? I'm inclined to say "yes".

Is he doping? Don't know. But I will give a man (or a woman) the benefit of the doubt; until proved otherwise. I think once in a while people are that good at what they do. Tiger Woods doesn't dope.

Now... enter Pudge Rodriguez. I'll admit extreme bias here; I think he hung the moon. Was he doping like the rest? Don't know. I would like to think he wasn't.

I could certainly "understand" (but not condone; ever... ) doping in baseball. Take 20 guys who have been playing the game all their life, similar body build, same bats, same distance, same pitches. How do you gain the advantage over the others??

That "advantage" translates to money; and sometimes lots of it.
Member with 5,404 posts.

16-Jun-2012, 04:55 AM #26
BTW, who cares if they dope? Let them all dope.....creates a level playing field.......no one gets an advantage.
Computer Specs

16-Jun-2012, 09:41 AM #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastiat View Post
BTW, who cares if they dope? Let them all dope.....creates a level playing field.......no one gets an advantage.
Actually, that's a pretty decent point. Why all the illegality?

Although, hall of fame and "records" would have to disappear.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,598 posts.

16-Jun-2012, 01:18 PM #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabdr View Post

Quote:
I'd agree except some are quite dangerous.
Quote:
Most have become a joke already.
Account Disabled with 2,667 posts.

Experience: Beginner
16-Jun-2012, 01:41 PM #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabdr View Post
Is he doping? Don't know. But I will give a man (or a woman) the benefit of the doubt; until proved otherwise. I think once in a while people are that good at what they do. Tiger Woods doesn't dope.
& excellent point!

Quote:
Take 20 guys who have been playing the game all their life, similar body build, same bats, same distance, same pitches. How do you gain the advantage over the others??
seeing as entire industries revolve around getting athletes @ top performing levels (& look what many countries have done in order to triumph @ the olympics..) i'm concerned plenty of effort would be put into continuously making undetectable products.

as you mentioned:
Quote:
That "advantage" translates to money; and sometimes lots of it.
i'm still keeping my fingers crossed lance didn't do it..

however, reminds me of quote: "The loss of our illusions is the only loss from which we never recover."
i will not recover if lance did it!

Quote:
paramount

otherwise.. why compete when there are already enough variables? something has to be leveled somewhere, for crying out loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
I'd agree except some are quite dangerous.
& new products are likely not tested adequately & over a decent span of time..

Quote:
Most have become a joke already.
true
Community Moderator with 19,155 posts.

Experience: comfortably numb
16-Jun-2012, 05:49 PM #30
Quote:
.............and let them carry the name and maker of the EPO (or whatever) they're using right smack on the front of their jerseys in big letters, before any of the other adverts.

"This event was brought to you by Braincooker Pharmaceuticals Inc."
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!