Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Controversial Topics Controversial Topics
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Step Aside!

(!)

Account Disabled with 2,667 posts.

Experience: Beginner
27-Jun-2012, 05:31 PM #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckphilli View Post
Well judging by the happenings of late...the offended cell phone user would have a half a million dollar fund set up for them because he or she was bullied by the cashier.

I know, off topic. *gives self a thousand lashes*
you think you're going to get lashes?

what about the excess of frivolous lawsuits being (more or less) a media/corporate construct?

Quote:
...the media commonly portrays the lawsuit as a perversion of the justice system resulting from juries that run amok and award exorbitant damages to opportunistic plaintiffs who lack a legitimate case. In 2011, HBO presented a documentary called Hot Coffee, which detailed the Liebeck case and three other tort lawsuits, focusing on the fact that corporations have spent millions distorting these cases to promote tort reform.

http://www.yalemedlaw.com/2011/12/fr...perceive-them/
edit: i agree that a cell phone user should be aware of his/her surroundings & respond accordingly -->excuse yourself from your call when it's your turn, & shut off your mobile in public theaters, etc.
management's call about whether to step in or not & risk customer estrangement..!

Last edited by nittiley; 27-Jun-2012 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: phones!
Member with 17,180 posts.

Experience: Been there, done that, st
27-Jun-2012, 06:32 PM #17
I think that having a policy, and enforcing it against those who abuse it is the appropriate response. The business will gain far more from the appreciation of it's customers, than it will lose through kicking out the scofflaw. I say this from the perspective of being a long term service business owner.

My Blog:http://eggplant43-aubergine.blogspot.com/
Drabdr   (Brad) Drabdr is offline Drabdr has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Community Moderator with 9,868 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Jun-2012, 06:41 PM #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant43 View Post
I think that having a policy, and enforcing it against those who abuse it is the appropriate response. The business will gain far more from the appreciation of it's customers, than it will lose through kicking out the scofflaw. I say this from the perspective of being a long term service business owner.
Member with 2,210 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 11:30 PM #19
the cashier needs to interrupt the person on the phone and ask if they are ready to check out.

the people waiting in line are thier back-up.

Last edited by 1956brother; 28-Jun-2012 at 01:02 AM..
Account Disabled with 725 posts.

28-Jun-2012, 11:17 AM #20
Does anyone really think the idiot on the cell gives a crap what the cashier, people behind 'em or management says?
Nothing is more important in life to these losers than the thought of a missed call. They can't walk and chew gum at
the same time much less walk, transact and/or talk on the cell at the same time. They don't care. They're all idiots.
Accept it or pull your glock out and put a round through the cell and into the ear/brain. They are already brain dead anyway.
That's my opinion. Playing nice will not work with these idiots. YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID.

BTW, how ya'll doin'?
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 18,565 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Jun-2012, 11:30 AM #21
Hiya Nick - why don't you tell us how you really feel.

I second your sentiments.
Drabdr   (Brad) Drabdr is offline Drabdr has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Community Moderator with 9,868 posts.

28-Jun-2012, 08:20 PM #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK G View Post
Does anyone really think the idiot on the cell gives a crap what the cashier, people behind 'em or management says?
Nothing is more important in life to these losers than the thought of a missed call. They can't walk and chew gum at
the same time much less walk, transact and/or talk on the cell at the same time. They don't care. They're all idiots.
Accept it or pull your glock out and put a round through the cell and into the ear/brain. They are already brain dead anyway.
That's my opinion. Playing nice will not work with these idiots. YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID.

BTW, how ya'll doin'?
I agree with your sentiments. That's why we would help them either turn the phone off or get out of line.

28-Jun-2012, 09:50 PM #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant43 View Post
doesn't it depend on the type of business & the clientele? a restaurant owner i knew had a woman with an obnoxious, undisciplined child, which resulted in an expensive bottle of wine & a few other items being broken. i'm sure it was awful for the rest of the patrons when she brought her son in, but she was a bank officer that routinely brought in her entire staff for meals.

she would likely be the kind of person abusing her mobile in public too (at least based on the child's behaviour!).

the owner refused to do anything about it, or he would've lost a decent amount of money. the upset customers were basically stuck, unless they wanted to dine elsewhere.

i'm not saying this is fair, but with so many cell phones around.. it may not be practical to enforce that all the time.
pyritechips has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 26,276 posts.

29-Jun-2012, 02:36 PM #24
Again, it comes down to this horrible systemic reality of entitlement. The level of selfishness, of spoiling oneself and ones' children has reached a point of being anti-social. It is pathetic that everything is about "me". How did we get this way?
Account Disabled with 725 posts.

29-Jun-2012, 03:44 PM #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyritechips View Post
How did we get this way?
Evolution, Creationism, Intelligent Design? Since ID is an oxymoron like military intelligence. maybe it will take
something to uncreate or unevolve us back to the 1800's to hang horse thieves but no cell phones to tell anyone.
Of course back in them days you may get a bullet in the eye just for looking at someone the wrong way. I wish.
One can be ticketed texting while driving but holding a burger and drink and driving with your knee 80mph breaks no
laws that I know of. I could be wrong. I usually am.
Computer Specs

29-Jun-2012, 04:05 PM #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK G View Post
Evolution, Creationism, Intelligent Design? Since ID is an oxymoron like military intelligence. maybe it will take
something to uncreate or unevolve us back to the 1800's to hang horse thieves but no cell phones to tell anyone.
Of course back in them days you may get a bullet in the eye just for looking at someone the wrong way. I wish.
One can be ticketed texting while driving but holding a burger and drink and driving with your knee 80mph breaks no
laws that I know of. I could be wrong. I usually am.
I don't condone violence of any kind. Period.
Quote:
laws that I know of.
Both are examples of distracted driving and they break laws here. They are also more examples of the "rights" that people give themselves by way of "entitlement". And it is true that we can't go back to an earlier, simpler, time. We can't un-invent the cellphone any more than we can roll back to the time of the invention of cars and draw up a code of rules emcompassing and prohibiting all the things that make driving a car dangerous to others.

30-Jun-2012, 03:00 PM #27
Quote:
Again, it comes down to this horrible systemic reality of entitlement. The level of selfishness, of spoiling oneself and ones' children has reached a point of being anti-social. It is pathetic that everything is about "me". How did we get this way?
well put!

& when it's systemic in society, there isn't a quick & easy fix..

it's difficult to imagine why anyone rudely (obliviously) blathering away on their mobile, or letting their children run amok like (& not the kiddies' fault) tiny monsters believes there isn't anything wrong with it! ??

but you nailed it.. that sense of entitlement is what allows this kind of behaviour to fly. ugh!!
Computer Specs

30-Jun-2012, 08:07 PM #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittiley View Post
well put!

& when it's systemic in society, there isn't a quick & easy fix..

it's difficult to imagine why anyone rudely (obliviously) blathering away on their mobile, or letting their children run amok like (& not the kiddies' fault) tiny monsters believes there isn't anything wrong with it! ??

but you nailed it.. that sense of entitlement is what allows this kind of behaviour to fly. ugh!!
Worse still, if it gets to the point of being systemic and is so deeply ingrained ("Dad does it and even the cops do it so it must be OK!") then it becomes the new norm. You will become the oddball, the bad guy, for complaining.

30-Jun-2012, 08:33 PM #29
Quote:
Worse still, if it gets to the point of being systemic and is so deeply ingrained ("Dad does it and even the cops do it so it must be OK!") then it becomes the new norm. You will become the oddball, the bad guy, for complaining.
so true.. & it's the worst kind of irony!!
Member with 4,244 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 09:35 AM #30
Quote:
Again, it comes down to this horrible systemic reality of entitlement.
Yes.

Quote:
The level of selfishness, of spoiling oneself and ones' children has reached a point of being anti-social. It is pathetic that everything is about "me". How did we get this way?
My generation (x). We did it. I'll expound in my book, you'll get a signed copy.

But seriously, growing up I didn't see any of this. Since I've been of the age to notice I see it time and time again. The teens running the local grocery store are a perfect example. They act as if they're doing me a favor by letting me pay for my groceries. It just wasn't the same when the tables were turned (circa 1993 when I was working at a grocery store).

I blame bad parenting by my generation. Not all of us mind you, but certainly some. But they had to learn how to parent from the baby boomers so I guess it's all connected.

Here's another interesting tidbit while I'm on the soapbox...someone(or plural) is getting paid a great deal to study this and make recommendations to correct it. They should be fired immediately.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!