Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Controversial Topics Controversial Topics
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Step Aside!


(!)

pyritechips's Avatar
pyritechips   (Jim) pyritechips is offline
pyritechips has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 26,330 posts.
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Experience: Intermediate
05-Jul-2012, 11:42 AM #31
Agreed. And since it is systemic, and to the point where it will be accepted as the norm, any change away from this societal behaviour will take at least one generation to reverse. It will need a generation of parents to tell their children that certain behaviour is not acceptable, no matter who they see acting that way.
ckphilli's Avatar
ckphilli   (Chris) ckphilli is offline
Member with 4,284 posts.
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Down South
Experience: Intermediate
05-Jul-2012, 12:31 PM #32
Too true Jim. But the issue this time (other times were racism, male chauvinism, etc) is that as a whole, I don't believe people think this is honestly a problem. So it's hard to get buy in to change. Unfortunately, something catastrophic will have to happen before any wheel gets in motion. IMO of course. Additionally, I don't like it...just basing off of what I've seen to be true.
nittiley's Avatar
Account Disabled with 2,667 posts.
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Experience: Beginner
05-Jul-2012, 04:54 PM #33
even though there is blanket of some of the worst behaviour spread around, there are still some 'leftovers' from previous generations evident. several months ago, a friend was leaving a petrol/convenience shop & a man (approx. in his 20's) with bright blue mohawk hair & multiple facial piercings held the door open.

when was holding doors open for others practiced? the 1940's or 50's..?
pyritechips's Avatar
pyritechips   (Jim) pyritechips is offline
pyritechips has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 26,330 posts.
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Experience: Intermediate
05-Jul-2012, 08:45 PM #34
I used to do it in school and the teacher made a special remark about it on my report card!

I did it some years ago (in the Ninties) and some womans'-libber type shot me a dirty look.
ckphilli's Avatar
ckphilli   (Chris) ckphilli is offline
Member with 4,284 posts.
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Down South
Experience: Intermediate
05-Jul-2012, 09:13 PM #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittiley View Post
even though there is blanket of some of the worst behaviour spread around, there are still some 'leftovers' from previous generations evident. several months ago, a friend was leaving a petrol/convenience shop & a man (approx. in his 20's) with bright blue mohawk hair & multiple facial piercings held the door open.

when was holding doors open for others practiced? the 1940's or 50's..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyritechips View Post
I used to do it in school and the teacher made a special remark about it on my report card!

I did it some years ago (in the Ninties) and some womans'-libber type shot me a dirty look.
I still do it and have never gotten the dreaded look.
Drabdr's Avatar
Drabdr   (Brad) Drabdr is offline Drabdr has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Community Moderator with 9,952 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Experience: Intermediate
06-Jul-2012, 11:24 AM #36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckphilli View Post

But seriously, growing up I didn't see any of this. Since I've been of the age to notice I see it time and time again. The teens running the local grocery store are a perfect example. They act as if they're doing me a favor by letting me pay for my groceries. It just wasn't the same when the tables were turned (circa 1993 when I was working at a grocery store).

I blame bad parenting by my generation. Not all of us mind you, but certainly some. But they had to learn how to parent from the baby boomers so I guess it's all connected.

Here's another interesting tidbit while I'm on the soapbox...someone(or plural) is getting paid a great deal to study this and make recommendations to correct it. They should be fired immediately.


Last night I was dropping off some movies to the Red Box kiosk. A woman had been standing beside the kiosk on her phone. Now... I wasn't evesdropping (or I wasn't trying to), but the call just wasn't that important.

So then she commences to picking a movie, interacting with two kids while interacting with the kiosk while still on the phone.
Obviously, she thought nothing of it. Wonder what her kids will do when they get older.

I hate to develop an "I give up" mentality about anything in society. We can always learn, always advance, always improve. But there needs to be a catalyst to get people to turn off the phones; or use them only at appropriate times.

Cell phones going off in church. The culprit? Not the kiddos. The elderly who have to turn them up so loud to hear them anyway. They just don't think enough prior to entering church to turn them off.
pyritechips's Avatar
pyritechips   (Jim) pyritechips is offline
pyritechips has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 26,330 posts.
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Experience: Intermediate
06-Jul-2012, 11:46 AM #37
Brad, would you pick your nose whilst at a family dinner? Of course not! Nor would you teach your children to do so. Cell phones are so pervasive, and invasive, that people afford them special privileges over other people. There are many instances where movie theatres, business meetings and other situations insist that the phones are turned off. We, as individuals, just need to insists upon the same rights.
buffoon's Avatar
Community Moderator with 19,155 posts.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spain
Experience: comfortably numb
06-Jul-2012, 12:06 PM #38
We get (still here and there only so far but the idea is picking up) restaurants with copper mesh on walls and ceiling behind the wallpaper. That absolutely cancels out any mobile coverage whilst on the premises.

Doesn't seem to harm business, on the contrary.

At the same time cell phone use while driving is permitted with hands-free installations only and that means having phone sound coming thru the speakers of your car stereo. A bluetooth earpiece or a wired ear plug are not allowed and will incur the same penalties as holding the whole set to your ear. What's more, so will touching your phone to dial so you need to set it up to voice recognition. On motorways the plain clothes brigade regularly prowls unnoticed since this is a sure fire way of increasing revenue.

I actually propagate that usage in public buildings be fined, like smoking. And, as mentioned some time ago, ears be amputated, sharia style.
__________________
Human affairs are not so happily arranged that the best things please the most men. Therefore it is often the sign of a bad cause when it is applauded by the mob. ----Seneca----
pyritechips's Avatar
pyritechips   (Jim) pyritechips is offline
pyritechips has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 26,330 posts.
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Experience: Intermediate
06-Jul-2012, 12:09 PM #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffoon View Post
We get (still here and there only so far but the idea is picking up) restaurants with copper mesh on walls and ceiling behind the wallpaper. That absolutely cancels out any mobile coverage whilst on the premises.

Doesn't seem to harm business, on the contrary.

At the same time cell phone use while driving is permitted with hands-free installations only and that means having phone sound coming thru the speakers of your car stereo. A bluetooth earpiece or a wired ear plug are not allowed and will incur the same penalties as holding the whole set to your ear. What's more, so will touching your phone to dial so you need to set it up to voice recognition. On motorways the plain clothes brigade regularly prowls unnoticed since this is a sure fire way of increasing revenue.

I actually propagate that usage in public buildings be fined, like smoking. And, as mentioned some time ago, ears be amputated, sharia style.
I am glad that you always speak my mind.
pyritechips's Avatar
pyritechips   (Jim) pyritechips is offline
pyritechips has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 26,330 posts.
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Experience: Intermediate
06-Jul-2012, 12:30 PM #40
By the way, I am very tempted to remove the "Debate" status from this thread. Are there any arguments for the above mentioned behaviour?
Wino's Avatar
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 18,597 posts.
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Republic of Texas
Experience: Advanced
06-Jul-2012, 12:33 PM #41
Actually, cell phone use in church should be allowed. What better way to escape a boring sermon preceded and followed by the never ending plea for money.
pyritechips's Avatar
pyritechips   (Jim) pyritechips is offline
pyritechips has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 26,330 posts.
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Experience: Intermediate
06-Jul-2012, 12:40 PM #42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino View Post
Actually, cell phone use in church should be allowed. What better way to escape a boring sermon preceded and followed by the never ending plea for money.
Agreed. If god is all powerful why does he have to beg money from the insignificant creatures he allegedly created?

buffoon's Avatar
Community Moderator with 19,155 posts.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spain
Experience: comfortably numb
06-Jul-2012, 01:08 PM #43
I am also of two minds on the issue that while these idjits are mindlessly babbling away at each other on the phones, at least they're not tempted to speak to ME.
Wino's Avatar
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 18,597 posts.
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Republic of Texas
Experience: Advanced
06-Jul-2012, 02:59 PM #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffoon View Post
I am also of two minds on the issue that while these idjits are mindlessly babbling away at each other on the phones, at least they're not tempted to speak to ME.
Now you know how God feels!!
nittiley's Avatar
Account Disabled with 2,667 posts.
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Experience: Beginner
06-Jul-2012, 03:28 PM #45
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyritechips View Post
I used to do it in school and the teacher made a special remark about it on my report card!

I did it some years ago (in the Ninties) and some womans'-libber type shot me a dirty look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckphilli View Post
I still do it and have never gotten the dreaded look.
why do things have to go over the rails like that? women's rights are necessary, but it's ridiculous to ruin something as lovely as having the door held open for you!!

if someone is following behind me, i hang onto the door for them regardless of who it is. that's enough women's liberation, no?

-----

i'm one of those humans that requires an announcement to shut of my mobile though . i forget sometimes.. but as long as there is an announcement, or a sign, i'm good .

not sure how hearing a cell phone conversation can be considered eavesdropping -- you can't get away from hearing those unless you run off screaming in another direction !


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino View Post
Actually, cell phone use in church should be allowed. What better way to escape a boring sermon preceded and followed by the never ending plea for money.
maybe they need a copper enclosure around the minister

according to my religious gf, church is like an elevator music rock concert now (no disco yet, you'll have to wait! ). complete with a light show.

i'm hoping this is a good sign, & perhaps they'll align with the real world eventually.

$$ is still being sucked out -- church nature doesn't abhor a vacuum! they enlist members to pledge 10%, the pleading is for anyone they missed sitting out in the pews..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.


(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


WELCOME
You Are Using: Server ID
Trusted Website Back to the Top ↑