Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Controversial Topics Controversial Topics
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Step Aside!

(!)

Drabdr   (Brad) Drabdr is offline Drabdr has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Community Moderator with 9,935 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Jun-2012, 10:40 PM #1
Step Aside!
The story was told by a friend on FB who witnessed the incident.

Now... missing from the story is non-verbal cues, looks, intent, etc. But... I think the story (and debate matter) remains intact.

People are waiting to check out at a grocery store. The women who is up to be checked out is on her cell phone. She is totally oblivious to reality; everything has stopped while she is on her phone.

A young man behind her with two items grabbed his items, went ahead of her to get checked out. She quickly grabbed his two items, and threw them back on the conveyor behind hers.

The question: Should a cashier, clerk, etc. 'go around' someone on a cell phone by taking care of the customer behind them?

Is this something we just live with? Should the business risk a lawsuit/ irate customer from saying something?

Or... is enough enough, and we should start doing something about people detached because they are on their phone?

NOTE: The last few movies I have gone to, they had a note that they can, and would, remove people from a theater who were on their cell phones; so its not unheard of.
Member with 44,785 posts.

16-Jun-2012, 01:19 AM #2
Kind of like Evolution, eh? I love Modern Technology, but the Problem is with those who use it..
Member with 5,420 posts.

16-Jun-2012, 04:51 AM #3
She must not have been too oblivious as she moved the two items back behind hers.

I've had similar occurrences and I've found addressing the person directly always gets a response. Either they put the person on "hold" and turn their attention to the matter at hand or they remain oblivious in which case I (we) ignore the person and get done what needs to be done.
Member with 17,181 posts.

Experience: Been there, done that, st
16-Jun-2012, 09:32 AM #4
I'm in favor of a death ray.
Member with 4,275 posts.

16-Jun-2012, 02:54 PM #5
My local Quiznos (local from work) which I frequent has a very polite sign that says "We will happily serve you after you've finished your phone conversation".

It's common decency, that's all. Cashier's, order takers, whoever deserve the same amount of respect as anyone else one comes in contact with. Speaking on the phone while interacting tells me they have absolutely no respect for that person trying to help them.

IMO, of course.
Computer Specs

16-Jun-2012, 04:56 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckphilli View Post
My local Quiznos (local from work) which I frequent has a very polite sign that says "We will happily serve you after you've finished your phone conversation".

It's common decency, that's all. Cashier's, order takers, whoever deserve the same amount of respect as anyone else one comes in contact with. Speaking on the phone while interacting tells me they have absolutely no respect for that person trying to help them.

IMO, of course.
And your opinion is a good one here.

I was wondering more about what we should (or can) do about it. To your example, should the guy or gal working there have the ability to skip a customer if they're too busy yapping on their phone? Or, is this something we all have feelings about, but will probably just keep them to ourselves?
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 18,596 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Jun-2012, 06:23 PM #7
I'm fairly sure "stand your ground" would apply here, and no jury would convict you if you shoot the inconsiderate bunghole.
Community Moderator with 19,155 posts.

Experience: comfortably numb
16-Jun-2012, 06:41 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino View Post
I'm fairly sure "stand your ground" would apply here, and no jury would convict you if you shoot the inconsiderate bunghole.
One can get over-drastic so I'd recommend, for the sake of more leniency, a sharia variation..............

chop off the listening ear.
Member with 4,275 posts.

16-Jun-2012, 07:43 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabdr View Post
I was wondering more about what we should (or can) do about it. To your example, should the guy or gal working there have the ability to skip a customer if they're too busy yapping on their phone? Or, is this something we all have feelings about, but will probably just keep them to ourselves?
I don't think the average worker for these cases gets paid enough to deal with it. Let the corporations post the signs, if the signs are ignored a manager should step in.

But that's in a perfect world.

Personally, if a cashier reminded a customer of the ignored rule and the customer responded badly, I would step in. But the onus is on the corporation.
Computer Specs
Member with 149 posts.

Experience: Beginner
17-Jun-2012, 03:10 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckphilli View Post

IMO, of course.
Amen.
Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Beginner
23-Jun-2012, 01:10 PM #11
I find it annoying when a phone rings while you are watching a good film in the local cinema. There is no excuse for it in my opinion. There are plenty of signs around telling people to "Please turn off your mobile" and yet for some reason these are largely ignored. If my wife and I are paying about 8.00 each , we want to watch a film in peace !!
pyritechips has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 26,330 posts.

23-Jun-2012, 01:35 PM #12
Not much of a debate here. It is yet another instance of self-entitlement, which is nothing more than a self-centred disregard for anybody else. It is more infuriating when somebody does in in a drive-through where you are trapped in the line with no way to back out with other cars in line behind you. The problem is that cell phone usage has gone way beyond normal their intended functions and have become addictions. By not owning one I really notice how zombie-like their users have become. I think it would make for a good movie "Dawn of the Living Cell Phone!" I think I will give Cronenberg a call...
Computer Specs

25-Jun-2012, 09:25 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyritechips View Post
Not much of a debate here. It is yet another instance of self-entitlement, which is nothing more than a self-centred disregard for anybody else. It is more infuriating when somebody does in in a drive-through where you are trapped in the line with no way to back out with other cars in line behind you. The problem is that cell phone usage has gone way beyond normal their intended functions and have become addictions. By not owning one I really notice how zombie-like their users have become. I think it would make for a good movie "Dawn of the Living Cell Phone!" I think I will give Cronenberg a call...

Well... I do think it's kind of a no-brainer how rude people are and how tired other people get of that rudeness.

I guess the question comes in as to what to do about it. For a business, would they gain more by kicking people out, so to speak for being on their phones? Or would that just invite more headache?
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,263 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 04:41 PM #14
I reckon that the optimal solution in a supermarket would be to put the "lane closed" sign down and gesture for everyone in the queue not oblivious to reality to move into the next lane, with the cashier moving over to serve them
Member with 4,275 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 04:44 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabdr View Post

Well... I do think it's kind of a no-brainer how rude people are and how tired other people get of that rudeness.

I guess the question comes in as to what to do about it. For a business, would they gain more by kicking people out, so to speak for being on their phones? Or would that just invite more headache?
Well judging by the happenings of late...the offended cell phone user would have a half a million dollar fund set up for them because he or she was bullied by the cashier.

I know, off topic. *gives self a thousand lashes*
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!