Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Controversial Topics Controversial Topics
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

should corporate missions be restructured to profits contingent upon ethics?

(!)

Account Disabled with 2,667 posts.

Experience: Beginner
13-Jul-2012, 01:17 PM #1
should corporate missions be restructured to profits contingent upon ethics?

optional if anyone wants to debate it..

should a corporation's sole function be to incur profit, or should it have mandatory ethical safeguards in place?
--------

1 example of, sadly, so many horrific breaches in today’s corporate world.

Quote:
'The university completely abdicated its role as an educational institution committed to the public good in order to protect its corporate brand, image, and market value... 'The outrage over this case is certainly justified, and we should encourage greater degrees of transparency and accountability in our institutions.'

'At the same time,' he continued, 'we shouldn't overlook or forget that the corporate university of today makes ethically suspect decisions all the time.'

http://chronicle.com/article/Penn-St...&utm_medium=en
-----------------------

more lives ruined, destroyed, or impacted negatively -- except in a less obvious way when compared to the above example.

a 2003 article below, still pertinent. unethical business practices benefitting the few at the expense of many appears to be destroying what capitalism was suppose to be.

on the republican side(1 of a likely very long list!), *temporary owners* destructively seeking quick money describes bain capital. we also have jon corzine of mf global for the democrats, & PFGbest is officially listed as an apolitical organisation.

Quote:
..accused the market of being dominated by 'temporary owners' looking for the fast buck...stating that corporate capitalism had devolved to 'speculator’s capitalism.'

Its critics alleged that shareholders capitalism drove managers to short-termism at the expense of the corporation’s long-term growth and health. Moreover, serving shareholders’ interests...was done at the expense of other corporate stakeholders, like employees (displaced by mergers and downsizings), suppliers, customers, and local communities.

http://people.hofstra.edu/George_J_P...T%20WISDOM.pdf
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 18,544 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Jul-2012, 01:42 PM #2
If we would adopt the Chinese method of handling miscreant and crooked corporate people - execution - I believe the possibility of wrong doing by them would be greatly reduced - not eliminated, but reduced (after all the DP does not prevent people from murdering - it just prevents them from doing it again).
in vino veritas - Old Yiddish saying, "If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there". "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." H. L. Mencken
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"Ignorance is not an opinion." - Dilbert
pyritechips has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 26,276 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Jul-2012, 02:55 PM #3
My business knowledge is almost non-existent and I don't track socio-economic trends but from what I have seen there tends to be a drift away from ethics in business and a focus on profit-above-all-else policy. I did see a documentary about the toxic derivative market that interviewed the very people that developed the technique. They were very frank and candid about what they were doing and how, despite feeling that it was wrong, were seduced by the extremely large profits that they were earning.
Account Disabled with 2,667 posts.

13-Jul-2012, 04:04 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino View Post
If we would adopt the Chinese method of handling miscreant and crooked corporate people - execution - I believe the possibility of wrong doing by them would be greatly reduced - not eliminated, but reduced (after all the DP does not prevent people from murdering - it just prevents them from doing it again).
you can't kill them ! (surely you jest..) they have to be re-trained & given new jobs.. maybe harvesting produce on a seasonal basis, or working at walmart for a while would expand their horizons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyritechips View Post
My business knowledge is almost non-existent and I don't track socio-economic trends but from what I have seen there tends to be a drift away from ethics in business and a focus on profit-above-all-else policy. I did see a documentary about the toxic derivative market that interviewed the very people that developed the technique. They were very frank and candid about what they were doing and how, despite feeling that it was wrong, were seduced by the extremely large profits that they were earning.
agreed -- the financial sector seems to have internalised a lack of ethics, at least considering this (only 1 -3 of the excuses..).

Quote:
First, it is argued that this kind of cheating around Libor has been going on for a long time...Statements about a pattern of behavior only strengthen the case that incentives, culture and organizations are all badly broken at the heart of the world’s financial system.

Second, it is also asserted that “everyone does it.” This is not any kind of defense – try it next time you are accused of fraud.

Third, Libor-rigging is defended as a “victimless crime.” This is untrue. Traders at Barclays and other banks gained from this series of manipulations, so someone else lost. That may have been investors, who received lower returns...Or it may have been borrowers, who paid higher interest rate and related costs than would have been necessary in an honest market.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-it-is-rigged/
Computer Specs
Member with 105,780 posts.

13-Jul-2012, 04:18 PM #5
The love of money is the root of all evil. I expect no change.
Community Moderator with 19,153 posts.

Experience: comfortably numb
13-Jul-2012, 06:09 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittiley View Post

optional if anyone wants to debate it..
actually, rather not.

Seeing how the title holds a question and challenge and thus provokes answers that are most likely to arouse controversy, it's been changed to debate.
Drabdr   (Brad) Drabdr is offline Drabdr has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Community Moderator with 9,645 posts.

13-Jul-2012, 06:56 PM #7
Well... I tend to not engage in Corporate Greed discussions, as I feel a lot of it is Class Envy talk.

However, the Penn State instance is totally unacceptable. To put the Game of Football above the well-being of kids and any hint of moral decision-making... is sad.
Member with 5,378 posts.

13-Jul-2012, 09:01 PM #8
You all of course realize that Penn State is, in fact, a state created not-for-profit corporation and therefore has no profit motivation.
Member with 2,210 posts.

13-Jul-2012, 10:37 PM #9
todays, corperate world is profit above everything else. even, worse for the most part it is short term profits not long term goals.

when, an employee is looking to get a eight or nine figure salary plus bonus at the end of the year, do you really think he/she cares about ethics ?

i love it when, corpertations talk about maximizing shareholders returns. this is pure bs. they want to maximize their own returns.

in todays corperate world it will never happen.

as the man said "greed is good" in todays world it is only about greed...for themselves.
Member with 43,602 posts.

13-Jul-2012, 10:45 PM #10
Even the Non-Profits are profits for someone. I heard that the CEO of United Way rakes in well over $500,000.00 a year...
Computer Specs
Member with 105,780 posts.

13-Jul-2012, 11:08 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim68 View Post
Even the Non-Profits are profits for someone. I heard that the CEO of United Way rakes in well over $500,000.00 a year...
I check before I donate. I dropped them a long time ago. http://www.charitywatch.org/aboutaip.html
Community Moderator with 19,153 posts.

Experience: comfortably numb
14-Jul-2012, 04:57 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastiat View Post
You all of course realize ...................
.........having a hopeful spell, are we?
Member with 13,460 posts.

14-Jul-2012, 06:19 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastiat View Post
You all of course realize that Penn State is, in fact, a state created not-for-profit corporation and therefore has no profit motivation.
But the football program has profit motivation
Quote:
The football program brings in more than $50 million in profit annually for Penn State, according to a Forbes study, funded in part by lucrative sponsorship deals with corporations including PepsiCo Inc and Nike Inc.
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-...State-football

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmi...aluable-teams/
Member with 5,378 posts.

14-Jul-2012, 08:55 AM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlefield View Post

And the state subsidy to the college is reduced. There is no profit and the quoted statements are misleading. Yes the football program generates more than it costs but that additional income goes back to the college and offsets operating costs paid by the state of Pennsylvania.
Member with 5,378 posts.

14-Jul-2012, 08:58 AM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim68 View Post
You of course realize how silly this sounds. First, you are comparing corporate profit to someone's income. Second, you make it sound like people who work for non-profits i.e. United Way (as opposed to not-for-profits) are suppose to work for free. Can we agree that's silly?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!