Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Controversial Topics Controversial Topics
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

The state of society and pop culture

(!)

pyritechips has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 26,330 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Jul-2012, 01:58 PM #1
The state of society and pop culture
This is more of a "shake your head and wonder if there is any hope for humanity" kind of threads. But really!

Negative Dark Knight reviews spark vicious backlash

Quote:
U.S. online film critic Marshall Fine offered the first negative appraisal of the comic-inspired tale on his site Hollywood & Fine and via the popular movie-review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes.

As expected, fans raised a furor in the comments section. Although most were negative, some commenters went so far as to vow to take down his website, while others threatened violence against him — including beating him into a coma or setting him on fire.
Have people taken leave of their senses?! It's a bloody comic book character! It's not even proper literature; it is mindless pap, a vehicle for mind numbing visual effects and gratuitous violence, and despite my personal distaste for the "genre" have some people crossed that line between fantasy and reality? I don't mind escapism and even identifying with a character but this is just too much. I think there is a psychosis at work here. It's a bit scarey to think somebody could bash in your skull because you think his favourite character stinks.
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 18,594 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Jul-2012, 02:29 PM #2
Had you not posted this thread I would have known nothing about this brouhaha. Not sure if that says something about you or about me.

The only dust up I had heard was about the Bane and Bain from the right wing mullets of the world and that was just in passing.

In any case, neither is of concern to me one way or the other. That being the case, not sure why I bothered to post anything.
in vino veritas - Old Yiddish saying, "If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there". "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." H. L. Mencken
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"Ignorance is not an opinion." - Dilbert
Moderator with 63,518 posts.

19-Jul-2012, 02:32 PM #3
I saw the title and immediately moseyed in.

IMO, it's not about pop culture whatsoever; it's totally about society, and I've touched on this quite a few times in the past. For whatever reason, it's gone from scheduling fisticuffs behind the school to showing up with an Uzi and eliminating everyone who shows up. Makes no sense.

But we could talk about how society is going into the cesspool until the cows come home, still ain't going to fix it. And the sad part is I only see it getting worse from this point out.

"Ask Bill why the string in function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that". - Gary Kildall
Computer Specs

19-Jul-2012, 02:40 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino View Post
Had you not posted this thread I would have known nothing about this brouhaha. Not sure if that says something about you or about me.

The only dust up I had heard was about the Bane and Bain from the right wing mullets of the world and that was just in passing.

In any case, neither is of concern to me one way or the other. That being the case, not sure why I bothered to post anything.
Because you are who you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
I saw the title and immediately moseyed in.

IMO, it's not about pop culture whatsoever; it's totally about society, and I've touched on this quite a few times in the past. For whatever reason, it's gone from scheduling fisticuffs behind the school to showing up with an Uzi and eliminating everyone who shows up. Makes no sense.

But we could talk about how society is going into the cesspool until the cows come home, still ain't going to fix it. And the sad part is I only see it getting worse from this point out.
It's just plain creepy. Sometimes I feel like moving into a cave...

This comes on the heels of me learning the bass line of Pumped Up Kicks, the song about the Colombine shootings.

Quote:
Yeah! He found a six-shooter gun in his dad's closet, with the box of fun things. I don't even know what, but he's coming for you. Yeah, He's coming for you!

All the other kids with the pumped up kicks,
You better run, better run, outrun my gun.
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks,
You better run, better run, faster than my bullet.
Kids just do this stuff because they can.

19-Jul-2012, 02:47 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyritechips View Post

Kids just do this stuff because they can.
which is why I lay the (majority of the) blame squarely on the parents........
Computer Specs

19-Jul-2012, 03:01 PM #6
Quote:
which is why I lay the (majority of the) blame squarely on the parents........
Ah, Tim; we have been down this road many times before. I won't reopen that old debate here but these comic fans - so many of them are mature adults! I can imagine a 12 year-old freaking out because somebody dissed Batman but a 35 year-old? JUst creepy...

19-Jul-2012, 03:06 PM #7
'mature' adults? doubt it.....

At best they are extremely maladjusted people who physically happen to be able to mate. Mature? Methinks not.

Creepy as sin, stupid as all get out as well. Complete agreeance on that one.
Member with 17,181 posts.

Experience: Been there, done that, st
19-Jul-2012, 03:07 PM #8
This subject is near and dear to my heart. I am a person who always pays attention to process, and I've been watching a degradation of manners, morals, and civility most of my adult life. For me, it's about accountability, or the lack there of. Society used to be structured differently, with nuclear families, and community. Today, much of that structure has disappeared, and dissipated, and I attribute much of this change in manners to the current anonymity that so many of us express, experience, and act upon. When you know your dad is going to find out, you behave one way, when no one knows who you are, what's the problem with a hit and run, nobody needs to know?

In a nutshell, that's the way I view this.

So what to do? Be the person you want the world to be, model civility, be humble, be kind, and hold yourself to a higher standard.

My Blog:http://eggplant43-aubergine.blogspot.com/
Computer Specs

19-Jul-2012, 03:12 PM #9
Quote:
'mature' adults? doubt it.....

At best they are extremely maladjusted people who physically happen to be able to mate. Mature? Methinks not.

Creepy as sin, stupid as all get out as well. Complete agreeance on that one.
Yes, I forgot to wrap mature in quotes to indicate "alleged".

Creepy and stupid, yes; and I wouldn't normally give a fig but the real point of this thread is that too many such people actually act out their indignation.
Computer Specs

19-Jul-2012, 03:17 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant43 View Post
This subject is near and dear to my heart. I am a person who always pays attention to process, and I've been watching a degradation of manners, morals, and civility most of my adult life. For me, it's about accountability, or the lack there of. Society used to be structured differently, with nuclear families, and community. Today, much of that structure has disappeared, and dissipated, and I attribute much of this change in manners to the current anonymity that so many of us express, experience, and act upon. When you know your dad is going to find out, you behave one way, when no one knows who you are, what's the problem with a hit and run, nobody needs to know?

So what to do? Be the person you want the world to be, model civility, be humble, be kind, and hold yourself to a higher standard.
Excellent point, Bruce. From the article:

Quote:
Atchity, who noted that Fine has "a respectable background in criticism," also said he and his staff would continue to monitor comments carefully and that they are considering moving to a commenting system that reduces online anonymity.

"You'll have to stand by your comments, just like a critic does," he said. "You'll still be able to argue about a movie you haven't seen, but people will know it was you."
Bravo! Making people both responsible for, and accountable to, their actions. What a novel concept!

19-Jul-2012, 03:25 PM #11
excellent post, Bruce.......could not agree with your views more.
Community Moderator with 19,155 posts.

Experience: comfortably numb
19-Jul-2012, 03:28 PM #12
whole hearted agreement.
Member with 17,181 posts.

Experience: Been there, done that, st
19-Jul-2012, 03:30 PM #13
Thank you.

Quote:
Bravo! Making people both responsible for, and accountable to, their actions. What a novel concept!
I remember this used to be the watchword of a certain political party, until it became inconvenient.
Community Moderator with 19,155 posts.

Experience: comfortably numb
19-Jul-2012, 03:32 PM #14
Especially this
Quote:
no whats and ifs and hows about it.

Never mind the consideration of whether there's somebody by whom one might get caught (or not). That's not what it is about.
Member with 4,265 posts.

19-Jul-2012, 03:36 PM #15
Quote:

Quote:
excellent post, Bruce.......could not agree with your views more.
Indeed, a great post. I think from previous discussions you guys know how I feel, so I won't bore you.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!