Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Current Events Current Events
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

Veterans Watch

(!)

Member with 17,183 posts.

Experience: Been there, done that, st
18-Nov-2008, 11:40 PM #1
Veterans Watch
I believe the biggest victims of war are the innocents, the non-combatants. What some insensitive folks would categorize as "collateral damage". I believe the second largest group of victims are the veterans who served their countries honorably, and never asked for anything more than to serve.

But their is a price veterans pay that others don't have to pay, death, injury, disability, psychological damage, and the effect upon their families. To often, in our nations history these things have been denied, minimized, and neglected by politicians who talk the talk, but often, have not walked the walk.

I've started this thread for veterans, and those who care about us to keep track of the events that affect our lives. I hope this will become a place where we can share ideas, thoughts, news, and feelings.

Here's an article I ran across tonight:

http://washingtonindependent.com/190...ose-your-house

My Blog:http://eggplant43-aubergine.blogspot.com/
Computer Specs
Member with 110,136 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Nov-2008, 12:03 AM #2
Eggplant, good thread. I hope Michelle Obama will make a difference for Vets and their families.

19-Nov-2008, 12:08 AM #3
If she does nothing more than shining a light, and keeping it focused, she will have accomplished much.

19-Nov-2008, 12:17 AM #4
Gulf War Syndrome
Quote:
The report broke with most earlier studies by concluding that two chemical exposures were direct causes of the disorder: the drug pyridostigmine bromide, given to troops to protect against nerve gas, and pesticides that were widely used -- and often overused -- to protect against sand flies and other pests.

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/...,6268545.story
Community Moderator with 19,166 posts.

Experience: comfortably numb
19-Nov-2008, 07:06 AM #5
I hope Michelle's first focus will be to get Barack going on this issue.
The good intent not withstanding, why does the prez elect's wife have to address this? Makes it sound like some kind of side show (like at the summits, where the government leaders go into conference while the spouses are purseu their hobbies).
The treatments of Vets by society in general since Nam (and before) is disgraceful.
The indifference is bad enough, what's worse are those people not wanting to hear the unpleasantness but rather geting on with their comfy little existences (which they probably wouldn't have, had not
soldiers laid it on the line for them).

19-Nov-2008, 07:13 AM #6
Buf, it has been a tradition for First Ladies to take on areas of interest they feel require special attention, with mixed results. Probably the best known, and received was Lady Bird Johnson's interest in improving the appearance of our interstate highway system. Something we continue to benefit from, to this day.

As I said last night, if Michelle can keep a light focused on this issue for the next 8 years, I believe it will be of great benefit.

19-Nov-2008, 07:16 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant43 View Post
If she does nothing more than shining a light, and keeping it focused, she will have accomplished much.
At least during Nam the press and TV coverage was such that the war was not completely excluded from the average comfy little households. Black bags were still broadcasted. Well the GWB admin (and dad's before) learned from that.
It's disgusting to see that a light actually needs to be shone now.

I'm much in favour of each arriving coffin being parked on the White House lawn for as long as feasible. A monthly audience in the White House for all (physically and psychologically)disabled Vets.

Every SOB who got the US into Nam and Iraq sweating in front of a
committe for the ret of their lives.

Ah, dreams.

19-Nov-2008, 07:19 AM #8
Quote:
Buf, it has been a tradition for First Ladies to take on areas of interest they feel require special attention, with mixed results. Probably the best known, and received was Lady Bird Johnson's interest in improving the appearance of our interstate highway system. Something we continue to benefit from, to this day.

As I said last night, if Michelle can keep a light focused on this issue for the next 8 years, I believe it will be of great benefit.
I know and all the efforts by all the First Ladies that made them are laudable beyond description. I'm not knocking that at all, on the contrary,
I applaud.

Still doesn't settle my beef, though
Senior Member with 4,828 posts.

Experience: getting there
19-Nov-2008, 07:21 AM #9
I dont know if its what you intended eggy, but I think its a pretty worthy story.

Army promotes first woman to four-star general
Nov 14, 2008
BY Jacqueline M. Hames

WASHINGTON (Army News Service, Nov. 14, 2008) - Gen. Ann E. Dunwoody became the first female four-star general in the U.S. armed forces at a promotion ceremony Friday morning in the Pentagon.

"History will no doubt take note of [Dunwoody's] achievement in breaking through this final 'brass ceiling' to pin on this fourth star," Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates said during opening remarks. "But she would rather be known and remembered first and foremost as a U.S. Army Soldier."

http://www.army.mil/-news/2008/11/14...-star-general/

Last edited by Sarge; 19-Nov-2008 at 07:28 AM..

20-Nov-2008, 12:53 AM #10
Friendly Fire Coverup
Quote:
Editor's note: On Oct. 14, 2008, Salon published an article about the deaths of Army Pfc. Albert Nelson and Pfc. Roger Suarez. The Army attributed their deaths in Iraq in 2006 to enemy action; Salon's investigation, which included graphic battle video and eyewitness testimony, indicated that their deaths were likely due to friendly fire.

After Salon published Benjamin's Oct. 14 report, the Army ordered soldiers to shred documents about the men. As proof that they were ordered to destroy the paperwork, a soldier saved some examples and provided them to Salon.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/20...friendly_fire/

20-Nov-2008, 03:04 AM #11
Quote:
Nothing changes
Computer Specs

21-Nov-2008, 12:23 AM #12
Video Game Technology Gives Veterans New Lease on Life
Simulators Help Patients Relearn Skills Like Driving
By Mike Musgrove
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, November 21, 2008; Page B04

Staff Sgt. Brian Schar got behind the wheel of a white Chevy Colorado yesterday and went for a spin. The vehicle remained snugly parked in a room at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Northwest Washington, despite the large screens in front of the truck, which showed a street-level view of small-town America. Traffic was light.

Schar lost his legs in a roadside bombing in Baghdad 14 months ago. Yesterday, he showed off the new simulator, based on video game technology, designed to help patients such as him get comfortable behind the wheel again.

Excerpts from: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews
Moderator - Gone but never forgotten with 47,973 posts.

Experience: Getting somewhere I hope
21-Nov-2008, 02:10 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochee View Post
Video Game Technology Gives Veterans New Lease on Life
Simulators Help Patients Relearn Skills Like Driving
By Mike Musgrove
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, November 21, 2008; Page B04

Staff Sgt. Brian Schar got behind the wheel of a white Chevy Colorado yesterday and went for a spin. The vehicle remained snugly parked in a room at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Northwest Washington, despite the large screens in front of the truck, which showed a street-level view of small-town America. Traffic was light.

Schar lost his legs in a roadside bombing in Baghdad 14 months ago. Yesterday, he showed off the new simulator, based on video game technology, designed to help patients such as him get comfortable behind the wheel again.

Excerpts from: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

Heard about this!

21-Nov-2008, 08:24 AM #14
It's very sad that this kind of simulator is necessary, but what a wonderful choice it provides.
Computer Specs

28-Nov-2008, 12:31 PM #15
Quilters give injured veterans their handmade, heartfelt warmth
By Jia-Rui Chong
November 28, 2008

In one corner of the classroom at Prince of Peace Episcopal Church, a group of women knotted blue thread atop layers of star-spangled fabric and cotton batting. In another corner, a sewing machine hummed over floral-patterned strips.

About a dozen ladies gathered that day in Woodland Hills for the monthly work party of the L.A. Veterans Quilt Project. Volunteers have stitched about 600 quilts for the project and donated them to local veterans wounded in the Gulf War, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Van Den Brink"We want them to feel loved," said Karen Van Den Brink, a 61-year-old Encino resident who coordinates the project. "This is the way quilters do it. We don't write speeches. We sew."

Van Den Brink came up with the idea about three years ago, when she was president of the San Fernando Valley Quilt Assn. She heard about a group making quilts for the families of those killed in action and wondered: Why not do it for those who are injured?

"I grew up during the Vietnam years, and vets were treated very badly when they came home," said Van Den Brink, a retired special education assistant. "We don't want them to feel that way again."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...track=ntothtml
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!