Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Current Events Current Events
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

Hate Crimes

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 109,865 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Jun-2009, 02:15 PM #1
Hate Crimes
The latest Hate Crime:

Shooting at Holocaust Museum injures guard, suspect
updated 15 minutes ago
CNN

Story Highlights
•NEW: Shooter is 88-year-old white supremacist, law enforcement officials say
•Man with "long gun" entered museum, fired at guard, police spokesman says
•Security guard and shooter were wounded in exchange of gunfire, police say
•Shooting suspect is one of those wounded, officials say

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The suspect in Wednesday's shooting at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum is James von Brunn, an 88-year-old white supremacist from Maryland, two law enforcement officials told CNN.

Gunfire at the entrance of the museum wounded at least two people Wednesday, emergency officials said.

A private security guard and the shooting suspect were wounded, according to officials of the D.C. police.

www.cnn.com

Last edited by poochee; 10-Jun-2009 at 10:23 PM..
Account Disabled with 6,271 posts.

Experience: Getting on everyone's ner
10-Jun-2009, 02:43 PM #2
Would you include vigilante groups under the topic of hate crimes if they are directed at a specific group of people?
Computer Specs

10-Jun-2009, 03:30 PM #3
Guard dies after Holocaust museum shooting
Authorities say they're investigating a white supremacist as the suspect
updated less than 1 minute ago

The assailant and his victim were both hospitalized, said Washington, D.C., Mayor Adrian Fenty, who added that the gunman was in critical condition. The guard, identified by the museum as Officer Stephen Tyrone Johns, died later in the hospital. Johns had worked at the museum for six years.

Excerpt from: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31208188/

10-Jun-2009, 03:41 PM #4
You didn't answer my question poochee. Are hate crimes only deplorable against groups that you don't hate. If you do hate them, then are hate crime just fine with you?
Computer Specs

10-Jun-2009, 03:48 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by thingamajig View Post
You didn't answer my question poochee. Are hate crimes only deplorable against groups that you don't hate. If you do hate them, then are hate crime just fine with you?
A hate crime is a hate crime.

Last edited by poochee; 10-Jun-2009 at 03:57 PM..

10-Jun-2009, 03:54 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochee View Post
Simple. A hate crime is a hate crime.
But you only post articles about those that suite your tastes. No?

So let's be clear. Define "hate crime" please.
Computer Specs

10-Jun-2009, 04:01 PM #7
Quote:
But you only post articles about those that suite your tastes. No?

So let's be clear. Define "hate crime" please.
Since I just started this thread, how would you know what is going to be posted here? I assume others will also post here. Including you. I defined hate crime already. And I think you know what a hate crime is.

10-Jun-2009, 04:12 PM #8
Quote:
Since I just started this thread, how would you know what is going to be posted here? I assume others will also post here. Including you. I defined hate crime already. And I think you know what a hate crime is.
Yes, I have my own perception of a hate crime. As I stated, and perhaps inappropriately placed it on you is that sometimes hate can be justified and sometimes it cannot. I would assert that justification is not required. If we hate a group of people for whatever reason, committing a crime against that group based on our hate is a hate crime. Would you disagree?

I bring as an example, a group that everyone loves to hate. I do that with the intent of testing the reader's resolve on the issue.
Computer Specs

10-Jun-2009, 05:20 PM #9
Quote:
Yes, I have my own perception of a hate crime. As I stated, and perhaps inappropriately placed it on you is that sometimes hate can be justified and sometimes it cannot. I would assert that justification is not required. If we hate a group of people for whatever reason, committing a crime against that group based on our hate is a hate crime. Would you disagree?

I bring as an example, a group that everyone loves to hate. I do that with the intent of testing the reader's resolve on the issue.
IMO, if a group is hated by a person, and that person commits a crime against that group or a member of that group I consider it a hate crime. Because it is hate that generated that crime. And let's be realistic, there are groups that we don't care for, but that doesn't mean we should take justice into our own hands.

Hate crimes fall into a different category than other crimes, IMO. I don't debate that point at all, because that is one of the endless debates. And I get very bored with endless debates.
Senior Member with 552 posts.

10-Jun-2009, 06:32 PM #10
I would hope that most of you understand that not all conservatives hold the view of the person that opened fire at the museum. As a conservative, it pains me to know that a fellow conservative would take such action.

Please know there are different degrees of conservatism and many of us do not agree with murder.
Member with 9,600 posts.

10-Jun-2009, 07:19 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverRight View Post
I would hope that most of you understand that not all conservatives hold the view of the person that opened fire at the museum. As a conservative, it pains me to know that a fellow conservative would take such action.

Please know there are different degrees of conservatism and many of us do not agree with murder.
A right wing nutcase for sure , but conservative ? -- I prefer right wing .
He was conservative with his wallet however --- he went on a killing spree with a .22 >f
Computer Specs

10-Jun-2009, 07:21 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverRight View Post

Yep, I know that.
Computer Specs

10-Jun-2009, 07:27 PM #13
Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Holocaust Museum suspect trumpeted his anti-Semitic ties
By Greg Gordon and Carrie Wells | McClatchy Newspapers

Law enforcement officials identified the gunman as James von Brunn, who lives on Maryland's Eastern Shore, describes himself as a World War II PT boat captain and trumpets his ties to hate groups on his Web site.

Von Brunn was jailed for scheming in 1981 to kidnap members of the Federal Reserve Board to retaliate for high interest rates. He was caught on the institution's second floor with a hunting knife, a revolver and a sawed-off shotgun. His Web site, Holy Western Empire, is rife with anti-Semitic rhetoric, and public records show that the shooting suspect lived in Hayden, Idaho, from 2004 to 2005. The northern Idaho town was formerly home to Richard Butler, leader of the Aryan Nations. ..I'd like to know why/how he is a gun owner!

At the White House, President Barack Obama said he was "shocked and saddened" by the shootings.

"This outrageous act reminds us that we must remain vigilant against anti-Semitism and prejudice in all its forms. No American institution is more important to this effort than the Holocaust Museum, and no act of violence will diminish our determination to honor those who were lost by building a more peaceful and tolerant world," the president said in a statement. "Today, we have lost a courageous security guard who stood watch at this place of solemn remembrance. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends in this painful time."

The museum said in a statement that the slain officer, who'd worked at the museum for six years, "died heroically in the line of duty today. There are no words to express our grief and shock over these events. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Officer Johns' family."

The museum said it would close Thursday and fly flags at half-staff in Johns' memory.

Excerpts from: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/69810.html
Account Disabled with 16,918 posts.

10-Jun-2009, 08:40 PM #14
Quote:

Hate crimes fall into a different category than other crimes, IMO. I don't debate that point at all, because that is one of the endless debates. And I get very bored with endless debates.
But isnt this cd?
You did start the thread.
It is only proper for you to define clarifications of questions related to the topic .
Account Disabled with 16,918 posts.

10-Jun-2009, 08:42 PM #15
Quote:
A hate crime is a hate crime.
because a museum is involved....you think it has to be a white supremest,,,is this correct?

Last edited by aka Brett; 10-Jun-2009 at 10:16 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!