Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Camera Replacement Suggestion (Help)

(!)

Member with 4,221 posts.

Experience: Been around the block
11-Jun-2012, 08:52 PM #1
Solved: Camera Replacement Suggestion (Help)
Hi peeps, long time. I need help replacing this camera (unfortunate circumstances, I really loved that camera)

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...pecifications/

It pretty much did everything I needed, and more. But, alas, they don't make them anymore, and some eBayers think they are worth gold now for used ones.

I've briefly looked at the Nikon Coolpix L810 and Fujifilm FinePix S4200 --- however, I don't know that much about cameras in order to come up with a good 'replacement.' Any assistance you fine folks can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Member with 4,221 posts.

11-Jun-2012, 08:56 PM #2
Oh, and I've also peeked at a Canon PowerShot SX40HS --- I know, I'm all over the map on price range.
Member with 4,221 posts.

13-Jun-2012, 06:51 PM #3
Oh oh, did I post under the wrong category?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,598 posts.

13-Jun-2012, 07:43 PM #4
This probably the right forum.

I don't have any knowledge of any of your choices but will say that a decent camera for someone that cares, is a personal thing, or should be... I would pick the one that has the specs closest to the one you had and try to find a retailer that has it so you can hold it in your hand and try it to see if you like it.
Member with 4,221 posts.

14-Jun-2012, 04:07 PM #5
Well, now, that is just too logical!!!!

Thanks, I think I'll try that. I was hoping someone had a camera that they just loved that could recommend one that was close to those specs, basically, I love the 20X zoom feature. That was awesome!
Computer Specs
Member with 1,598 posts.

14-Jun-2012, 04:37 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernardo View Post
Well, now, that is just too logical!!!!

Thanks, I think I'll try that. I was hoping someone had a camera that they just loved that could recommend one that was close to those specs, basically, I love the 20X zoom feature. That was awesome!
I get nervous when someone calls me logical... ... but that's the best I could think of not having any experience with your choices.

I have 2 dslrs and 20mm zoom would be very nice but also very $$$$$$$$$$$.

You don't have to buy where you look at them, just get the "feel", then you might find a great deal online.

Maybe someone will come along with atleast one of your choices with some meaningfull comments...
Computer Specs
Member with 2,344 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Jun-2012, 03:40 PM #7
I my self would go with either the canon or the nikon. Only because i own them brands. But since you loved your old camera i would do what wowzer said. and go with one thats close to the specs of your camera. The canon has a 35x zoom. And the nikon has 26x l zoom
Member with 4,221 posts.

21-Jun-2012, 04:58 PM #8
Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to 'test drive' the Nikon by doing an online price match at a local brick and mortar store That way, if I don't like it, I can return it without having to deal with shipping

How's that for a plan?
Member with 4,221 posts.

21-Jun-2012, 07:47 PM #9
Test driving the Nikon Coolpix L810 as we speak. So far, I don't see anything bad about it! It weighs less than my Casio --- the body seems to be plastic instead of metal (at least my Casio "had a metal 'feel' to it" ) ---- the colors are pretty impressive on this one. I have a 14 day return policy ---- so, we'll see how happy I remain with more shooting
Computer Specs
Member with 1,598 posts.

22-Jun-2012, 10:21 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernardo View Post
Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to 'test drive' the Nikon by doing an online price match at a local brick and mortar store That way, if I don't like it, I can return it without having to deal with shipping

How's that for a plan?
Kind of what I was saying. Reads like a decent camera... http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/3308...x-l810-review/

Take your time ...these places want your business and will let you try another if something doesn't feel right about that one...

have fun...
Member with 4,221 posts.

22-Jun-2012, 09:54 PM #11
Thanks, I hear you. I got an 'extra' special discount of some managerial sort --- I think I need to read the manual, as I'm not 'completely' happy with the way the pics are looking on a 'big screen' i.e. my monitor. I may have to test drive the Canon PowerShot SX-40 - a friend is raving about the zoom and details of the close up shots.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...121-Megapixel/

I have an online price match QUITE a bit lower than that price shown there
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

23-Jun-2012, 12:30 AM #12
Smile Camera
Get an SLR, not a Cool Pic, you'll love it. start with a 50 mm zoom lens, then save up for a 300 mm fixed. Nikon is my favorite, I think the Cannon has more features (so it confuses me) and I have heard that Olympus new SLR is really the best deal for the money. A Cool Pic isnt going to do much more than a cell phone camera. Really. And there is something good about the extra weight and bulk and strap that keeps your brain more focused on filming. Denis.
Computer Specs
Member with 23 posts.

07-Jul-2012, 09:06 AM #13
If you're still in the market of finding your new camera, here's my two cents worth.
I agree with dkenglish
In the days of film, I owned a Cannon rebel, awesome camera, almost went back to a Cannon until one of my friends showed me his Nikon DSLR, loved the camera, did my research, and finally purchased a Nikon D7000 approximately a year or so ago off of E-Bay, my only regret is I should have just purchased the body, and left the two pack "Lens kit" be, saved and purchased the lenses I truly wanted. Life's a lesson, then you take the journey I guess.
In saying this, it all comes down to what you're going to do with the camera, meaning what are your interests in photography, what will you be shooting most? that is other than "THE COST" factor. Personally I'd narrow it down to two DSLR's, Nikon or Cannon, but someone above me is correct - it's a personal decision.
Good luck in your venture.
Member with 4,221 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 12:20 PM #14
I went with the Canon. I mostly take 'travel' picks. And I like to snap 'moving' photos while in the car. (Well, the car is moving, the objects aren't ) So far, I'm pleased with this choice. Thanks to all who replied! Have a great day, weekend, month, etc.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!