Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Date stamp

(!)

Member with 237 posts.

Experience: Beginner
27-Jun-2012, 03:36 PM #1
Solved: Date stamp
How do I date stamp with the Canon EOS 550 D? I can find nothing under all five menu tabs. I can set the date and time but I can't put the date onto recorded images. Thanks in advance.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,582 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 03:53 PM #2
it should be in the exif information , or did you want it to be seen on the image ?
Member with 237 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 04:39 PM #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I want to see it on the image.
Computer Specs

27-Jun-2012, 04:41 PM #4
Quote:
I want to see it on the image.
dont think that can be done in camera - but i suspect easier to do post processing - i'll look at irfanview and see if theres an editor that can do that
Computer Specs
Member with 1,598 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 05:23 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by etaf View Post
dont think that can be done in camera - but i suspect easier to do post processing - i'll look at irfanview and see if theres an editor that can do that
Quote:
dont think that can be done in camera - but i suspect easier to do post processing
Agree... sort of... There maybe an in camera setting to view it on the display screen. Probably not on the image itself, that would be seen.maybe after save or print.

Last edited by wowzer; 27-Jun-2012 at 05:28 PM..
Member with 237 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 06:15 PM #6
Date stamp
I don't really understand what's going on here. Of the many digital cameras I have had in the past, including Pentax, Samsung and Olympus,all of them could date stamp, standard and dead easy. Can someone please confirm that Canon are the only exception and why.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,598 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 06:28 PM #7
I have no knowledge of Canon cameras... sorry

Where and how are you trying to see the time/date stamp?
Computer Specs

27-Jun-2012, 07:01 PM #8
Quote:
including Pentax, Samsung and Olympus,all of them could date stamp,
all digital DSLRs
most would do it on film
Member with 237 posts.

28-Jun-2012, 01:52 AM #9
"Date Stamp" is found under one of the menu tabs - quite separate from "Date/Time" (which Canon has). Note that it prints only the date and not the time and applies to both compacts and DSLR's. Someone must know the answer to this one because it all seems a bit weird plus no-one seems to really understand my question and missing the point.The only difference between different cameras is that they stamp in different colours and you have no choice in the matter.
Computer Specs

28-Jun-2012, 03:56 AM #10
Quote:
no-one seems to really understand my question and missing the point.
i understand the question , to put the date stamp onto the image, I just did not think many modern cameras had this facility - and i have had a few canon camera

This is from a FAQ on the Canon site
http://support-th.canon-asia.com/con...0745600.html#1

Quote:
Displaying the date in images

This camera cannot record the shooting date directly on the images it takes. To display the image and the date (the shooting date) at the same time, there are the following ways to do that.
Display the shooting information when playing images back.
Insert the date when printing images.
For information about how to display the shooting information when playing images back, please see the instruction manual that came with your camera.
it also shows you exactly how to use zoombrowser to print the date on the image

most would do it with software when printing the image - see how with zoombrowser below
heres a user manual for a canon
http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/slr..._Ti_manual.pdf
page 29/30 shows how to print the date on the image - BUT the camera needs to be a DATE model to do that

For printing - if you use zoom browser - which is provided with canon camera

print & share
photo print

you should see
shooting date /time
and a drop down box - that allows you to add the date and time to the image for printing

I have found a few programs that will add the date stamp to images in batch - but they are all pay for - and not actually tried to see if it works

The EXIF shooting data , including date/time is embedded in the image and available to read with most image editors and also as an add-in on most web browsers - so you can right click on an image on the web and seethe exif (Note the image would need to have the exif preserved for web use - some editors when using a "save for web" option strips out the exif - adobe photoshop and elements does this - but just save as jpg and its preserved

Last edited by etaf; 28-Jun-2012 at 04:16 AM..
Member with 237 posts.

28-Jun-2012, 05:01 AM #11
Date stamp
Thank you, etaf, very much for your trouble and detailed reply. It looks as if the answer is there in your quote - "This camera cannot record the shooting date directly on the images it takes." I am astonished that every camera in the world, that I know of, can do it with a couple of clicks of the mouse. I won't mark this solved because someone may come up with a bit of background information. Incidentally, I have just tried Canon Support and they want 12 to answer my question. I have further Googled the question and I am not alone - the question has been asked before and, like me, no proper answer was given. Thanks again.
Member with 237 posts.

28-Jun-2012, 05:18 AM #12
Date stamp
Correction - Not a couple of clicks of the mouse but a couple of clicks on camera.
Member with 237 posts.

30-Jun-2012, 08:08 AM #13
Date stamp
It has been confirmed to me from another source that this camera does not have this facility.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!