Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: I lost my HP printer CD and having trouble scanning

(!)

linsjean linsjean is offline linsjean has a Profile Picture
linsjean has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 264 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Jul-2012, 08:43 PM #1
Solved: I lost my HP printer CD and having trouble scanning
This will be a bit odd, but I'm going to copy/paste a conversation I had with a friend as I went through my error messages because my HP Photosmart C4480 will not scan a document without numerous errors. Here goes:

Can you please help me with this HP Solution Center. I downloaded some drivers and i saw it extract and it just said welcome to Photosmart, bla bla and I searched for HP Solution Center and it still gives me that error.
Me: I double clicked on the exe file
Him:: once you downloaded it you should have been given an option to install.
Me: It showed that it installed
Him: Hmm. When you got the error did you make a note of what it was like if it was an error with a number?
Me: I'm sorry, but I don't remember. I used Task Manger to end process but that Status error kept returning even by ending the process
Me:: We first need to determine if I got the right drivers. My printer and copier works fine!
Me: I remember one time it said "already installed on your computer" but that was after I tried again
Him Yes but they are plug and play and they are not working fine or you would be able to scan to the computer so that is where the issue lays for the most part.
Me: Let's look this up together by going to google or HP. My printer is Photosmart C4480 All-in-One
Me: I went here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...18705&sw_lang=
Him: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3418705
Him: Go there and see if any of those problems are what you are seeing in your warning?
Him: if you dont see it click on try the doctor and see if that helps that might figure out what file is missing and help you install it.
Me: do you think I should try scanning again and then tell you exactly what I see on my screen? Obviously I cannot scan from my computer
Me: I can only put in a pic and use the button on my printer that says scan
Him: no cause the point is doing it from the computer
Him: did you try the doctor?
Me: not yet, but I didn't remember exactly what error I got from the printer itself when scanning
Me: won't hurt, so I will do that now
Me: I will chose Scan to PC
Me: shows scanning in the display window of my printer.
Me: i hear no noise that it's doing it
Him: We know from the button works we are not arguing that we want it to do that from the solutions center
Me: Scan error: Try Scan from computer or see documentation, Press OK
Him: that is why I said try the doctor and see if all the files are correctly installed
Me: I think I have been there today while at work, it wants me to view a video that demonstrates how to download the run the HP Print and Scan Doctor and I got a blank window with an X on top and I couldn't get rid of it. I had to reboot. So, below that, it says, If you have trouble viewing the vid, click here to play vid on Youtube, I will do that now
Me: Adobe Flash Player Settings: s.ytimg.com is requesting permission to store information on your compouter. Request up to 10 KB, allow?
Me: I can almost see the vid, but that Adobe Flash Player message is in the way
Him yes allow it is from flash so it is safe adobe is well known
Me: I did download HPPSdr.exe,
Him no in firefox, open the orange button and click options.
Me: I can double click on the .exe file from the download folder
Me: extracting, searching for products
Me: The following products are visible from your computer. click on the one you want to work with then click Next: Hp Photosmart C4400 Series, USB Installed
Me: I will now click next
Me: It says "Your current defautl printer is "Adobe PDF". To make this printer you just selected your default, click "Make Default' Or I can click on Fix Printing or Fix Scanning". I do not have my default printer as adobe PDF!
Him: fix scanning
Me: The vid is telling me different things like choose desired printer and click next, never mind, I will just fix scanning
Me says Scanning
Me: I can hear my scanner moving
Me: "finding and fixing scanning problems
Me: The featuure you are trying to use is on a network resourc etha tis unvabile, bla bla
Me: After that it says, "Click ok to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'ps_aio_c440_software_min.msi' in the box below
Me: in the background I see "Please wait whiel Windows configures PS_AIO_03_C4400_Software_Min" But it is doing nothing with the progres bar
Me: behind that littlel window is showing Finding and Fixing (and I can't see the rest of the message)
Me: I tiold you when I get this message, I can't get rid of it and it will not go away even with end task
Him: hmm that is why it seems like a corrupt file but you say you dont have the Disk that came with the printer available cause we have to find it. That is why I am looking for other software. give me a second
Me: Error: 1706; no valid source could be found for product DocProc. The windows intaller cannot continue. I am documenting all of this so I can copy/patse into a tech forum
Me: Behind that window, I see, "HP Print and Scan Doctor. "Everything checks out okay with your scanner If you would like to perform a test scan to veryify everythign id working, click "Test Scan". but thing is I can't get rid of these error messages. It has green check marks next to Device Manger, Driver Check, Windows (WIA) Scan, Solution Center, HP Twain Scan, Registry, HP Scan Flow Manger, Digital Imaging Monitor"
Me: I will just try to click on Test Scan
Me: I will choose Document to PDF file. It has options to scan to TIF file, Text (OCR) to RTF file, Text (OCR) to WrodPad and Document to printer.
Me: Got a quick "preparing to install"
Me: now I see it scanning in a window
Me: I will click Finish
Me: "An unexpected interal error has occurred. click ok to close the program, and then try one of the following" Restart program, restart PIC and try again, Reinstall the Photo and Imaging Software and try again" "IOCR Application has stopped working, a problem cause the problem to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." I will click close program.
Me: Got another error message, so went to Task Manger to end HP Print and Scan Doctor 2.0
Me: Can't end the program because it's running. Well that sucks
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,412 posts.

27-Jul-2012, 08:03 AM #2
Assuming you sill have the HP software installed ... But it's not working correctly ...
Have you tried to scan using Windows Scanner and Camera wizard ...
With the scanner connected and turned on, Does it run the scanner OK ???
Computer Specs
Member with 264 posts.

27-Jul-2012, 12:38 PM #3
Noyb,

I am not sure if I do have the HP software installed, I mean the correct software or all of the components. I did a search for HP Solution Center which brought me to a shortcut so I kept right-clicking to "open file location" and it brought me to hpqdirec. I cannot find an original copy of HP Solution Center.

The only way I can hear the scanner is when I go to the scanner and push scan/reprint and I can hear it scanning the photo on the glass. I only have two choices. Scan to PC or Scan to print. I click scan to PC, and this morning it actually gave me a little picture in the display window of the photo, but then the only option I have is to print it. It won't let me save it to my computer. I'm trying to reduce ink and paper, so this is the major reason why I want to save any important documents on my computer. So, it's still not working right.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2012, 12:43 PM #4
Try to scan with the Windows Camera n Scanner Wizard ... I'm not sure where it is in Vista.
You don't need the HP software installed to run a HP scanner .. I never install HP's software to run my HP printer/scanner.
Computer Specs
Member with 264 posts.

27-Jul-2012, 01:06 PM #5
When I go to CP, I see Scanners and Cameras. when I double click on that I see HP Photosmart C4400. When I double-click on that, it give me Properties and within that window, it has a button called Test Scanner, and it tells me the device is successfully diagnosed.

I clicked on "do I need to use this to install my scanner or camera" and it gives me this:

"To start the Scanner and Camera Installation Wizard
Click to open Scanners and Cameras. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If you don't see your scanner or camera listed, ensure that it is connected to your computer and turned on, and then click Refresh.

If your device still isn't listed, click Add Device to start the Scanner and Camera Installation Wizard, and then follow the instructions to install the necessary driver software.

Note
The wizard will ask you to select your scanner or camera from a list. If your scanner or camera isn't listed, you will need to obtain driver software for it, either from the manufacturer's website or from a disc provided by the manufacturer, and then click Have Disk when asked to choose your scanner or camera.

See also
Install a USB device "

So, even though I have the device showing, I clicked on Add a Device and the Installation Wizard pops up. After I click Next, it asks me which scanner or camera do you want to install? And the only one showing is Xerox which is not what I want. Or I can click Have Disk which I do not have.

I'm wondering if I can order the CD directly from HP?
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2012, 01:09 PM #6
No need to order it .. Download HP's software from here ...
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/p...&lang=en&cc=us
Computer Specs
Member with 264 posts.

27-Jul-2012, 01:42 PM #7
That's the exact place that I downloaded and installed the product. the installer file name is:
100_236_PS_AIO_03_C4400_Full_NonNet_enu_NB

Did I download and install the right one?

Also, I did a search for HP using start button. I found HP Photosmart Essential 2.5. Says last modified June of last year. I double clicked and says program stopped working. So now I'm thinking maybe I have some old corrupted files that need to be uninstalled. Would you suggest ussing CCleaner to uninstall? And what about the leftovers that remain? How do I get them all out without taking away HP products that belong to my HP laptop?
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2012, 01:50 PM #8
You could try CCleaner as long as you don't mess with the registry ..
But it might be better to ask HP for their Image Zone removal tool.

I can't help you fix HP's software, I always remove it from my HP computers and don't use it with my XP printer/scanner(s)
Were you able to run the scanner from the Camera n Scanner wizard ??
Any specific reason why you want HP's problematic software ???
Computer Specs
Member with 264 posts.

27-Jul-2012, 01:56 PM #9
Where do I get Image Zone removal tool?

And I did a search and I cannot locate Camera n Scanner Wizard. If you read previous posts of mine, I said I found Cameras and Scanners in my CP and it's showing that I already have photosmart software and well the rest of what I typed earlier. but thanks for trying, I really appreciate it.
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2012, 02:04 PM #10
You have a Scanner/Camera wizard supplied with Windows Vista/W7 .. You do not need to use HP's software.
This will be one way to test to see if the scanner might be the problem .. or run the scanner if you can't get HP's problem fixed
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...od=mfc7840n_as

Do you have any other Imaging software installed like Irfanview, Picasa or others ??
I use Irfanview to run my scanner
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2012, 02:10 PM #11
I don't know ... The last time I needed the IZ removal tool .. I had to email HP and ask them where they hid it.
photosmartptr_support_en@mail.support.hp.com
It took a couple of emails before I got someone who knew what I was talking about.
Computer Specs
Member with 264 posts.

27-Jul-2012, 09:07 PM #12
Thank you Noyb! I am now scaninng with the camera and scanner wizard. thank you so much. I have now marked this thread as solved. Thank you very much!
Computer Specs
Member with 264 posts.

01-Aug-2012, 12:25 AM #13
Now I am getting the never ending message "searching for HP bla bla bla ".....has to do with my printer software. Today I got a blue screen. I tired to use CC to remove all Hp printer software but it did not respond. I also used Programs and Features (remember I have Vista) to unintall and that did not respond). I got a blue screen with while Skyping and had something to do with bios but could not read it fast enough. I'm so tired How do I unintall a program that is consantly seeking to find it? Almost like it's in use but I ended the task in Task Manager.

If you need an exact error message I'm willing to write it all down and get back to you.

Do you think that HijackThis will help?
Computer Specs

01-Aug-2012, 07:17 AM #14
Did you Email HP and get their Image Zone removal tool ??
My copy is very old (for XP) .. You probably should get the latest from HP

Quote:
Hello Jay

I understand from your Email that you want to remove the HP Image Zone
software from your computer.

Download and Run the removal tool utility 4 times on the system to uninstall
the All-in-One software completely:
(Link removed)

Further, if you need any assistance or if you have any questions then kindly get back to us. We are always available round the clock to assist you technically regarding the problems you may experience with All-in-One units.

It is always our pleasure to serve you. Have a nice time!!!

Sincerely,
Kate HP Total Care
Computer Specs
Member with 264 posts.

01-Aug-2012, 10:13 AM #15
I went to hp.com and found the Contact link, but it has me browsing for me product and then when I finally get there it's asking if I have a warranty. Can you at least private message me to send me a link to where I can actually send an email to HP regarding my issue?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!