Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Automated Color Correction Software?

(!)

Member with 191 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Aug-2012, 06:47 PM #1
Automated Color Correction Software?
Hello all,

Going through my dad's old sets of slides and have found that a lot of the sets either have a slight blue or red tint to them (I'm guessing it's because of the types of film he was using at the time + the age of them). I was wondering if there was perhaps some way to have a completely (Or at least semi) automated color correction done to the photos after they've been scanned?

Just as a note I'm scanning the slides in 28MP with a Canon Pixma MG8120 and the software that came with it doesn't seem to have any kind of color correction built in.

Here's an example of one of the slides that has a blue tint to it:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2W...TB1NEsxUjk2QkU

Thanks!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,009 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 07:36 PM #2
thats a lot more than a tint - what do the slides look like when you hold up to the light ?
do they look like the scan

also on a slide film you have a correct way around - slightly glossy side and a matt side - i wonder if that makes a difference to the scan

what software are you scanning with - is this a canon software - normally they are quite good at this type of automation and adjustment
and what editing software do you have
photoshop
photoshop elements
gimp ?
Account Disabled with 267 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 08:04 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtheman70 View Post
I was wondering if there was perhaps some way to have a completely (Or at least semi) automated color correction done to the photos after they've been scanned?
After playing with this one, I'd say no. It's tricky and fairly time-consuming to recover even this much (in Photoshop).

Member with 191 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 10:52 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by etaf View Post
thats a lot more than a tint - what do the slides look like when you hold up to the light ?
do they look like the scan

also on a slide film you have a correct way around - slightly glossy side and a matt side - i wonder if that makes a difference to the scan

what software are you scanning with - is this a canon software - normally they are quite good at this type of automation and adjustment
and what editing software do you have
photoshop
photoshop elements
gimp ?
I don't think we have a slide projector anymore, but holding them up to the light they do look a little faded (At least this set). I'll try flipping them around and see if it does any good.

As for the software, all I do is load the slide onto the flatbed and hit Film and then "Color" and it scans over to my computer. So there really isn't any software that comes into play. :/ Perhaps I'm missing something on Canon's website about slide recovery as it scans but at least the way I'm doing it there's no way to edit the scan coming in.

I have a CS6 trial right now, and might be considering buying it if I'm actually going to get serious about this and color restore my dad's old slides. I think he'd really love it. Otherwise I'll probably just use GIMP, seeing as how it's free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peano View Post
After playing with this one, I'd say no. It's tricky and fairly time-consuming to recover even this much (in Photoshop).

Holy. Would you be willing to share the .psd of that so I can see how you did that? I would love to be able to do that to all of them, but I feel like I'm just working in the wrong direction.
Account Disabled with 267 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 11:25 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtheman70 View Post
Would you be willing to share the .psd of that so I can see how you did that?
Sure. Here's a link (expires Aug. 18, 2012):

https://www.yousendit.com/download/T...cGt6RTlMWE5Vag
Member with 191 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 11:28 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peano View Post
Sure. Here's a link (expires Aug. 18, 2012):

https://www.yousendit.com/download/T...cGt6RTlMWE5Vag
Thanks so much! I shared the image you edited and he said it brought back some awesome memories.

I'll look into how you did it and see if I can figure out how to do the rest of them.
Member with 191 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 07:38 PM #7
I set up a script that kind of does the same thing you did to that picture and it seems to have done a lot of the grunt work for me.

I'll probably end up buying CS6 and keep fiddling around with the other rolls and see if I can get similar results.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2W...zZUMWRYUWRwdzQ

Thanks a bunch!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,009 posts.

13-Aug-2012, 04:19 AM #8
Quote:
I'll probably end up buying CS6
thats a very expensive program - you may want to look at Elements or Gimp
and see if it does what you need
Member with 191 posts.

13-Aug-2012, 12:22 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by etaf View Post
thats a very expensive program - you may want to look at Elements or Gimp
and see if it does what you need
With a student discount it's more than half off the price so I figure I should probably grab it while I've still got the discount (There's no way I'd buy it if it was the full $699.99 price.)

I think I'll certainly give GIMP a try though.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,361 posts.

13-Aug-2012, 12:49 PM #10
I'd suggest looking at Adobe Photoshop Elements v10 .. (like etaf mentioned)
It has about 99% of the Image Editing tools found in CS6 for about 10% of the price ...
and a couple more tools than Gimp.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!