Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

slides to jpgs for TV slide show

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 422 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Aug-2012, 03:50 PM #1
slides to jpgs for TV slide show
I have a stack of CD's from Walmart from a relative who had their 35mm slides scanned to digital. Problem is some, but not all play on the TV. Needs to be a late model DVD player that handles "photo CD" or jpg. I have a 6mo old Sony DVD/BluRay forget model.

Problem is some discs work on the TV and some do not. None work on a 6yr old Panasonic DVD player and the manual confirms this. On closer inspection I find the ones that DO NOT work have files only in BMP format. those that DO work have the files in both JPG and BMP.

I plan to take the discs back to Walmart and insist they reprocess, but first I would like to know if it's normal/expected for any new DVD player to handle BMP files??? I'm guessing that the Walmart app that comes on the disc for doing a slide show on a PC wants BMP for some lame reason. In the mean time, I just discovered that ifranview has a batch BMP to JPG convewrsion capability, so that's my plan "B" if Walmart flakes on me. I'm also going to copy all discs to my hard drive for security in case they do something else bonehead and lose the data.

Thanks for any info on this process.
Member with 2,536 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Aug-2012, 04:30 PM #2
BMP images are not compressed so quality is not degraded, hence their preference over JPG images, and, yes, most standalone DVD players can't handle BMP images.

You can convert BMP to JPG using MS Paint or most image editor software, then just write them to a CD yourself (using slideshow software if you wish).
Computer Specs
Member with 422 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Aug-2012, 04:09 PM #3
Thanks for info. I figured out how to do a batch bmp-->jpg conversion with ifranview. Awesome program!

Here's another question. I took the discs to Walmart where they came from to ask why did 2 of the 8 have both bmp and jpg while the others only bmp rendering them usless for a TV slideshow. He replied their conversion process is just for archiving your 35mm, not TV viewing. What??? the process is fully automated, I also learned, and if they were able to automatically gen jpgs on 2 of the discs why not all of them. He agreed to reprocess the 2 discs I brought in but when I came back in 15 min, he said he could only "convert" back to what I already had and said he had no idea where the jpg's came from.

So, has anyone had this done or heard of a service that does not automatically give you jpg's? This guy at Walmart is either messing with me or Walmart's messed up on this process. One other online service I checked wants $340/1000 slides and delivers jpg's. Don't know what Walmart charges.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!