Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows 8 and Pinnacle Studio Plus 11 Compatibility

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

08-Mar-2013, 12:30 PM #1
Windows 8 and Pinnacle Studio Plus 11 Compatibility
This is something of a long shot. I have a new PC with Windows 8 64-bit and I wish to use my old and trusted Pinnacle Studio Plus 11 movie editing programme. Incredibly it has installed properly and works as it did on my old Vista and XP machines, with one exception. When I insert the transitions between video clips, all I get on replay is a big blue exclamation mark (!) for the duration of the transition even though the video clips each side of it play normally. I have found a sort of workaround, where I insert an infinitesimally small blank title clip in front of the transition but that results in a sharp cut-off of the audio volume rather than a smooth decrease. You might wonder why I don't just upgrade to the latest model, but Plus 11 suits my needs so well, even better than my Sony Vegas Studio HD Platinum 10, which appears to totally happy on Windows 8 but is just too cumbersome for my needs. So, any suggestions on how I might get Plus 11 working 100%?
Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Mar-2013, 05:19 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videomoron View Post
This is something of a long shot. I have a new PC with Windows 8 64-bit and I wish to use my old and trusted Pinnacle Studio Plus 11 movie editing programme. Incredibly it has installed properly and works as it did on my old Vista and XP machines, with one exception. When I insert the transitions between video clips, all I get on replay is a big blue exclamation mark (!) for the duration of the transition even though the video clips each side of it play normally. I have found a sort of workaround, where I insert an infinitesimally small blank title clip in front of the transition but that results in a sharp cut-off of the audio volume rather than a smooth decrease. You might wonder why I don't just upgrade to the latest model, but Plus 11 suits my needs so well, even better than my Sony Vegas Studio HD Platinum 10, which appears to totally happy on Windows 8 but is just too cumbersome for my needs. So, any suggestions on how I might get Plus 11 working 100%?
Not sure if this helps, as you have obviously been using Pinnacle for some time now. I started with 10 and gradually progressed with upgrades. All work reasonably well on Xp and Win7. The only times I have had the dreaded blue exclamation mark is when I have relocated a file. Possible you may have moved some files since changing to Win 8?
Member with 2 posts.

30-Mar-2013, 01:02 PM #3
Thanks for the reply, Flagpole, and you might well be right about relocated files. But I gave up in the end, reckoning that I couldn't keep my old programmes running forever, sadly. I have ditched my old Pinnacle and Sony Vegas offerings and bought Pinnacle Studio 16, the basic version. I haven't done a great deal with it yet but it seems to be fairly familiar and reasonably straightforward. It doesn't have the simplicity of Pinnacle 11, with which I could create a decent 55 minute movie in a relatively short time, but it does have enough transitions, effects and background music to preclude my needing to purchase any more.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
compatibilty, pinnacle, sony vegas, windows 8

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!