Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Compressing .jpg files?

(!)

Senior Member with 676 posts.

25-Feb-2004, 07:46 AM #1
Compressing .jpg files?
How does one compress .jpg files for sending to a floppy disk or via email using 98SE? XP does it automatically but I don't know how to do it in 98.
Member with 5,974 posts.

25-Feb-2004, 08:01 AM #2
Member with 5,974 posts.

25-Feb-2004, 08:11 AM #3
Member with 6,832 posts.

25-Feb-2004, 10:24 AM #4
WinZip will not compress a JPG to my knowledge.

Probably your best bet is the freeware Irfanview. When you save as a JPG you can open the Options box and select your compression quality. The lower the quality the smaller the file.

You usually also want to reduce the size of digital photos for e-mail. Irfanview does that very well with Image>Resize/Resample. Make sure to keep “preserve aspect ratio” checked and you can’t really go wrong.

Another advantage of Irfanview is that most or the regulars on the board use it, so you can get help quickly.

www.irfanview.com

25-Feb-2004, 10:26 AM #5
Thanks, Joe2cool, for your prompt response. One more question: what are the actual steps involved? Say you have a picture in .bmp format that you want to send to a floppy disk. How do you handle it? Do you first drag it to the compression program and then store it in the compressed format before pulling it up for sending? TIA. cwilmot
Senior Member with 1,525 posts.

25-Feb-2004, 10:28 AM #6
Jpg is already a compression format. You are not going to gain much, if any, by trying to compress it. Nearly anything you do will reduce the quality of it.

25-Feb-2004, 03:03 PM #7
I appreciate all the good advice which joe2cool, slipe and longhair have given me. However, I still don't know what to tell my friend with the oversized files as to how to email them. If he were to download and install one of the recommended compression programs then how does he introduce the oversized file to it and then email the resulting file? Would there have to be an intermediate, "save" step?
Senior Member with 1,525 posts.

25-Feb-2004, 03:34 PM #8
There are a few ways to deal with it.

Just how big is this file anyway?
What are you calling Oversized?
Computer Specs
Member with 8,709 posts.

25-Feb-2004, 05:17 PM #9
Resize the pics with irfanview but save the smaller ones as copies rather than replace the originals. You'll still have your good quality pics as well then.
Member with 116 posts.

27-Feb-2004, 08:44 AM #10
You might want to consider
http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/index.php

EasyThumbnails is made to create smaller (and change compression if jpeg) pictures for e-mail or whatever use.
It is free and works great.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!