Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

best vhs to dvd transfer software

(!)

Member with 39 posts.

26-Feb-2004, 03:27 PM #1
best vhs to dvd transfer software
I want to transfer home VHS and VHS-C movies to DVD using my PC laptop and want to spend under $50.00 for a program that allows me to do this. I would also like to make backup copies of DVD movies we have purchased. Any suggestions of some good programs?
Member with 312 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Feb-2004, 04:48 PM #2
You are going to need a little bit more than software to accomplish this unless you PC has a built int VHS player, of which
I have never seen. There is a host of converters that allow you to convert your analog videos from a vhs to your PC. I have a DAZZLE 80 DVC converter, works pretty good, there are better ones, there are also worse ones. The DVC-80 came with software so that you capture video from either your VHS player or your Camcorder. After the video is captured, your choice of how to build and create DVD's is vast. There is a large variety of software that will allow you to build and create DVD's.

Hope this helps
Senior Member with 2,016 posts.

26-Feb-2004, 06:25 PM #3
The way you've put it, it all sounds very easy...wish that were the case.

First you have to capture the video to your computer, then render it to a DVD compatible format, then burn it. www.dvdrhelp.com is a good place for the specifics of the process.

A quick and inexpensive way to capture via VCR and VHS-C is through a TV card. Most come with VCR type capabilities (they record what is being played on the TV) so you could hook up your VCR to your TV card, just as you would a normal TV, and record the video as it plays.

I have an internal TV card (PCI) but I'm sure they must come in the external variety...

Hope this helps,

MBN
Member with 312 posts.

01-Mar-2004, 07:17 PM #4
MustBNuts
Yes the rendering process is necessary, but all of the software that you purchase to burn DVD's has this built-in. I know that there is software that will give you all of the flexibility in the world, but to convert VHS to DVD (If you have both the hardware and the software) quite easy.
Senior Member with 2,016 posts.

01-Mar-2004, 07:30 PM #5
I have tried the burning software (for rendering), IMHO it isn't very good.

"If you have both the hardware and the software"... you've hit the nail on the head! If I had a million dollars....I'd be rich!

Take a look at all the posts...getting all the hardware/software to play nicely can be a challenge...and then one needs to learn how to do it...

Sorry, but I disagree with you. When it comes to moving analog video to DVD, it isn't necessarily easy. Once you've learned all the bits and pieces required, yes, it's easy, but it's getting there that can be very confusing and difficult.

MBN
Member with 165 posts.

Experience: pretty good
01-Mar-2004, 09:37 PM #6
i am curently in the middle of doing that project...if you need any info send me an e-mail (i think i have it posted) or just pm me
-gtard
Member with 165 posts.

Experience: pretty good
01-Mar-2004, 09:40 PM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by MustBNuts:

I have an internal TV card (PCI) but I'm sure they must come in the external variety...

MBN
bad idea. An external capture device (assuming it is running through USB) takes a lot out of your system plus it is really slow. i tried one of the external dazzle devices and it dropped like 25% of the frames. its just safe to go with the internal tv card (PCI or AGP)

-gtard
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
21-Oct-2004, 09:50 PM #8
hello,
I have been using pinnacle moviebox usb for the past 4 months to convert my vhs tapes to dvd and had many audio/video sync problems. is there anyone who can tell me what i might do to correct this problem. the pinnacle studio support people have not been very helpful so i am looking for any advice on this matter. my computer is a pentium 4 2.66 ghz with a 160 gig hard drive devoted to capture and editing with a total of 1.5 gig of pc 2700 333 ddr.
thanks,
sundance 1
Senior Member with 615 posts.

21-Oct-2004, 09:56 PM #9
I capture through my leadtek tv card to DVD, then I edit/create vob/bup add menus with tmpgenc dvd author.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

27-Oct-2004, 01:07 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance 1
hello,
I have been using pinnacle moviebox usb for the past 4 months to convert my vhs tapes to dvd and had many audio/video sync problems. is there anyone who can tell me what i might do to correct this problem. the pinnacle studio support people have not been very helpful so i am looking for any advice on this matter. my computer is a pentium 4 2.66 ghz with a 160 gig hard drive devoted to capture and editing with a total of 1.5 gig of pc 2700 333 ddr.
thanks,
sundance 1
I use the older Pinnacle Deluxe blue breakoutbox(non USB), with v8.12 software, and had the same problem. I downloaded a standalone capture program called scenalyzer(www.scenalyzer.com) and that fixed the problem, so obviously it's a software issue with Pinnacle. The Scenalyzer has a trial download. I believe it costs $38. A small price to fix that annoying problems. I tried all of the suggested fixes on the Pinnacle boards and none of them worked until this program.

I also have another problem. I've captured my video, and rendered it in Pinnacle software v8.12. it plays fine in the preview screen, but it frezzes when it's burned to disc. The one that frezzes has a title screen and I adjusted the audio and added 1 transition. Movie is about an hour long. Strangely, when I burned a previous version with just the video, no title/transition/audio improvements, the disc plays fine. Any ideas?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!