Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Slide Adaptor for Canon Scanner

(!)

Senior Member with 540 posts.

30-May-2004, 04:31 PM #1
Slide Adaptor for Canon Scanner
Is there any way to 'adapt' a slide adaptor to a Canon Lide 30, just for the sake of trying it and test the quality? What adaptor would work? Basically for color slides ....

Any other 'next best' ideas?

Thanks,

Member with 6,832 posts.

30-May-2004, 06:09 PM #2
The adapters plug into the scanner. The scanner has to know the adapter is plugged in to send power to it and not to the regular scanning lamp. If your scanner doesnít have a plug-in for an adapter you canít use one.

You really need a light built into the lid of the scanner to get decent film and slide scans. The adapter units arenít very good. And anything you can jerry-rig is going to be poor.

Your scanner has CIS sensors. CIS sensors have almost no depth of field. Even the thickness of a slide frame would probably cause weakness in the image. Any holder that the slides sat on would make it very poor. I donít think they make any CIS flatbeds that have a photo lid or adapter for that reason. So my guess is that it doesnít have a plug for an adapter.

Last edited by slipe; 30-May-2004 at 06:15 PM..
Senior Member with 540 posts.

30-May-2004, 10:41 PM #3
Hi Slipe,

Thanks for that explanation, now I know I can't use it for slides and if I could they wouldn't have the quality I would want. I just got this little USB scanner at an irresitable price of $50, just to have fun with, but really wanted a seriously good way of copying slides too. I could have picked up the Epsom 1670 which does have a slide mount built in, but the Canon was just to cool to pass up, and I thought the quality would be 'so so' even with the Epsom.

So I have a photo scanner now but could you give me your thoughts on some options for a slide/35mm negative, film scanner where price is a priority, it would have to be be approx - $200, or close .....

Or weigh in on this: I have a massive collection of color slides that I want to digitize, they are all in excellent condition, best option for 'high' quality,

Thanks Slipe,
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!