Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Adding pictures to CDRW disc

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Jun-2004, 07:49 AM #1
Question Adding pictures to CDRW disc
I installed a new Sony cd-r/cd-rw drive to burn my digital pictures to cd. I'm using the Nero burning software that came with the new drive. I have burned about 25 pictures to a cdrw disc but when I try to add more pictures I get a message that says that the disc is not empty and asks if I want to erase it to proceed. When I click 'No' the disk is ejected. The one time I answered 'Yes' it did indeed erase the pictures that were already on it. Have I misunderstood the basic principle of cdrw or does each disc need to be empty before the drive will write to it?
Member with 6,832 posts.

23-Jun-2004, 08:54 AM #2
Both CDR and RW can be written multi-session. When it writes the first session it writes a lead-in for a second session and so on. Each session takes about 15Mb of housekeeping space. Nero calls it multi-session. With older versions of EZ CD Creator you closed the session but not the CD. Just look in the help file for multi-session.

You can also format the RW and use packet writing. It takes about 120Mb to format the CD but you can then add one at a time if you want with no further space penalty. You can also erase individual entries. The RW becomes a slow hard drive.

Iím not a big fan of packet writing for storing anything you want to keep. It is too easy to lose stuff. Iím not a big fan of RW either for long term storage.
Senior Member with 786 posts.

24-Jun-2004, 07:03 PM #3
If you are using Nero Express you click on More just before burning, and make sure Multisession is enabled, allowing you to add more pictures later; keep doing this until the disk is full.
The packet-writing program is called Nero InCD; when installed you right-click on the red-arrow icon near the clock and, with a CD-RW inserted, select Format; takes about 40 minutes, and the red arrow turns to green. As Slipe says you can then add, delete, rename etc just as though it was a large floppy or a slow HD. The disks occasionally need to be re-formatted but you should get an error message advising you to back up your data and then re-format. To be sure, I recommend keeping a back-up formatted CD-RW as long as you keep them both updated with the data.

28-Jun-2004, 10:41 AM #4
Thanks for the help. The mistake I'd made was trying to use the Make Video CD mode in Nero Express. It said that this was the mode to use to make a CD Album of digital pictures. But it has no setting where you can add pictures to the CD after the original burn. The multisession option is available in Data CD mode which I am now using and have added pictures to successfully. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
Computer Specs

Experience: Beginner
25-Mar-2007, 02:55 PM #5
Deleting photos off CD-RW disc
Not sure how to delet photos off CD-RW disc, using Nero???
Member with 6,832 posts.

25-Mar-2007, 05:16 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty
Not sure how to delet photos off CD-RW disc, using Nero???
If you wrote the RW with Nero you can only erase the entire CD and start over.

InCD is usually bundled with Nero. If you format the RW with InCD you can add and remove individual entries.
Member with 17,584 posts.

25-Mar-2007, 08:01 PM #7
Just to clarify things here, the "-RW" does NOT mean Read/Write, it means ReWriteable.
As in erasing the contents and using the disk as a clean new one again, where all erased files are lost.

InCD etc are a "work-around" that has a poor reputation for reliability as correctly mentioned above. If you value the files, use CD-R and keep more than one disk as a backup.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!